Problems with our satellite system

johnmck

Featured Posts

A call on collected wisdom and experiance, help.!

We have a multimo satellite dish paired with a Grundig gufsat01hd receiver, both just over a year old. No real problems up to now apart from the very occasional dodgy location with no clear view of the satellite. We use a sat finder if the signal is not immediatly easily located and this has been fine.

A couple of days ago, whilst the sat finder was screaming it had locked on, we could not get the receiver to see this. Tried again tonight and the same thing. Tried all the connections, and as the finder has power, assume that this is not the problem. The TV shows the set up screen, But no signal strengh. Somehow I thought going into first time set up would restore it, but this needs a signal, so we are now in the situation were we cannot exit this mode, cannot get a signal, so are basically stymied. Do you think the receiver is banjaxed? Or can I kick start it again, maybe literally the way I feel now.

Thoughts appreciated. :rolleyes:

Turn it all off and start again?

Believe me, I have tried that more than once. Need a way to try to reboot it so that it recognises the signal. Think it may be buggered.

Edited because posted twice, poor internet signal as well. Deep joy.

Edited by johnmck

Make sure the coaxial cable is tight, it could be the LNB gone faulty, they do go without warning sometimes. Tho you usually get a few channels go missing first.

Thanks for that. When we initially set this up, we had a similar problem. The coaxial cable to the dish had to be tightened with a spanner and presto, a signal. Now have a better quality cable. Would the constant soakings due to the weather over the last few months have dished the LNB ?

Thanks for that. When we initially set this up, we had a similar problem. The coaxial cable to the dish had to be tightened with a spanner and presto, a signal. Now have a better quality cable. Would the constant soakings due to the weather over the last few months have dished the LNB ?

Possibly, but LNB's are not always good quality, always wrap the connections with duct tape, water will knacker the LNB. A replacement from maplins starts at about £20.

The connector should never have needed to be tightened with a spanner in the first place, it sounds as if there was always a problem which has now spread. Was this at the LNB end of the cable? Perhaps there was a dry joint between the socket and its printed-circuit-board, which has now given up the struggle. If so, a new LNB would cure the problem (as would re-soldering the connection)

The dish has been inside all day but got a soaking the night before last. Just seperated it from the base and a small trickle of water came out of the joint between the LNB and the dish. Would this be enough to knacker it?

The dish has been inside all day but got a soaking the night before last. Just seperated it from the base and a small trickle of water came out of the joint between the LNB and the dish. Would this be enough to knacker it?

Yes :-(

Probably.

It may also have run down inside the cable, and knackered that as well.

It's always a good idea to put some self-amalgamating tape around the joint once it's working. All the same, the LNB itself should be waterproof;after all they are designed to be used outdoors.

The connector should never have needed to be tightened with a spanner in the first place, it sounds as if there was always a problem which has now spread. Was this at the LNB end of the cable? Perhaps there was a dry joint between the socket and its printed-circuit-board, which has now given up the struggle. If so, a new LNB would cure the problem (as would re-soldering the connection)

Think initial problem was the poor quality cable and connector. Replaced with one with gold coloured connectors and connection fine finger tight. Would Maplins have a replacement for a Multimo?

Think initial problem was the poor quality cable and connector. Replaced with one with gold coloured connectors and connection fine finger tight. Would Maplins have a replacement for a Multimo?

Maplins may have equivalent, if not, they are easy enough to replace from the Internet.

Sounds like I will need to borrow a dish and cable to check if this and not the receiver is the problem. Trouble is , we are on the Weaver at the moment, then heading up towards Manchester then liverpool. Looking like a TV free boat for some time. Now some would say a good thing I know, but.......

P.S. The weaver is really rather good and so very quiet. We were the only boat down the lift this morning ! Keep it a secret.

P.P.S. Sat dish now in the airing cupboard ! Worked with a soggy mobile, so worth a try. :cheers:

Edited by johnmck

I think the Multimo may not use a standard (eg from maplins) LNB as most of these are for an offset dish but I stand to be corrected!!

Edited to add.....found this on a web trawl....it might help...

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=7939&posts=8

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by frangar

Had a similar problem, working fine took it to bits and back in case next time I came to use it no signal. Turned out the connector on the LNB was secured by a nut, that had come loose and when I undid the cable it had rotated and pulled the centre connector off the printed circuit board inside the LNB. When I took it to bits the LNB was very well sealed so water shouldn't be a problem, they are designed to work outside. I've resoldered the connection and put it back together not had a chance to test it yet.

Ken

Quick update. After putting the multimo and the cable in the airing cupboard for a couple of days, connected it all up and bingo. Full service resumed. For how long who knows ! Technology is one of life's mysterys for me I am afraid. ;)