Skipton to Nantwich

floatingphil

Featured Posts

Hi everyone

We are planning to take our NB from Skipton to Nantwich ( via Wigan ) shortly. Sadly this is to sell our boat, but just wondered if any of you could offer any advice on this trip, ie negotiating Burnley and Blackburn and anything else we should know that may hinder our progress!. I'm allowing a week, would this seem reasonable ?

Anyone fancy a really nice 47ft semitrad and save me the trip!! :captain:

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil,

We've just come the other way bringing our 'new' boat to Kildwick. There was no problem through Burnley and Blackburn except Blackburn locks which are leaking horrendously. Wigan was b***** hard work, several paddles not working and we were grounded between 2 locks due to lack of water, called BW emergency who informed me that there was no lock keepers working that day and eventually one from burnley arrived but by that time we'd sorted it ourselves.

The Bridgewater was very pleasant once you cleared Manchester.

We came from Willington (other side of Burton on Trent) and did it in just over 10 days but they were 10 hard days boating but I'm sure you'll do Nantwich in a week no problem.

Dave

Thanks for that Dave, im expecting some hard graft. I'm told the rubbish in the water at Burnley is horrific and to carry bolt croppers with us to cut the shopping trollies off the prop!! Many of the locks from Bingley to Leeds are locked after 4pm. I was wondering if we will hit that problem going the other way

Cheers

Phil

I'm told the rubbish in the water at Burnley is horrific and to carry bolt croppers with us to cut the shopping trollies off the prop!!

There is usually quite a lot of floating rubbish and you'll probably go over a few underwater speed bumps but, TBH, I've never had worse than a few carrier bags round the prop although I've been through Burnley and Blackburn many times. In fact the worst prop fouling I've had on the L&L was between Bank Newton and Barnoldswick (the prettiest section) when I got a thick plastic agricultural sack round the prop.

Going from Skipton to Anderton soon and not expecting any major problems. Done the trip several times now and worst of the rubbish was floating polystyrene around the Ostwaldtwistle area. Wigan is hard work but easier going down than up! If you push on you can expect to do Nantwich in 6 days.

Thanks for that Dave, im expecting some hard graft. I'm told the rubbish in the water at Burnley is horrific and to carry bolt croppers with us to cut the shopping trollies off the prop!! Many of the locks from Bingley to Leeds are locked after 4pm. I was wondering if we will hit that problem going the other way

Cheers

Phil

I honestly doubt that it is that bad unless it has deteriorated horrendously in the last few years. We've done the trip a few times both ways and I can't remember it being too much of a problem weed hatch wise. There is quite a bit of floating rubbish but I wouldn't anticipate major progress stopping stuff.

Roger

There is usually quite a lot of floating rubbish and you'll probably go over a few underwater speed bumps but, TBH, I've never had worse than a few carrier bags round the prop although I've been through Burnley and Blackburn many times. In fact the worst prop fouling I've had on the L&L was between Bank Newton and Barnoldswick (the prettiest section) when I got a thick plastic agricultural sack round the prop.

Funny that you " got a thick plastic agricultural sack round the prop." in the more rural surroundings and avoided nasties in the urban areas. We had the same on the Caldon recently. Nice tranquil spot, shudder, weed hatch opened to find what we assume was a plastic bale sack wrapped well around the prop. The odd bit of crap easily spun off with a bit of reversing elsewere.

hope its not your last sail for ever but a lovely trip though.

echo what others have said - burnley is no problem (and there is at least 200 yards that was cleaned up last week for a visit from the Queen..)

plenty of nice moorings between Burnley and blackburn and rishton visitor moorings are ok if not particularly scenic.

Blackburn locks are not the best with a couple of paddles not working and lots of floating rubbish and leaks. Eanam wharf at blackburn seems to be locked up these days with a couple of what appear to be permanently moored boats under the covered bit. We moored up just outside the wharf itself on a saturday night a couple of weeks ago and had no problem.

Timewise we did almost the reverse of your trip when we picked up our current boat, sailing from northwich to Burnley comfortably in 5 days, although wigan flight took the two of us on our own a complete day (knackering to say least).

The weather forecast for this week is good anyway,

all the best

jon