water hose

Swampfrog

Featured Posts

Martin, being new to this forum I didn't realise the edit bit, but I see where it is now :rolleyes:

It doesn't work like some other forums in that it always marks your post as edited - some I have used allow something like a five to ten minute window to make changes without marking the post as edited - thus nobody knows you have made a daft mistake!!

Thus - we walk out to the tap and connect what is now the tap end and walk back to the boat reel in hand only unfurling what we need. When I get to the boat I connect the short bit to the connector in the centre of the reel and drop the nozzle in the tank filler.

Do it a similar way but leave the reel at the boat.

The short end is never left attached to the reel and kept safe from dirt.

Do it a similar way but leave the reel at the boat.

That only works if it can unreel when you leave it standing unattended at the boat. Most of them just fall over and try to follow you to the tap when you pull on the hose, but if you've got the reel in your hand as you walk back to the boat that doesn't happen.

That only works if it can unreel when you leave it standing unattended at the boat. Most of them just fall over and try to follow you to the tap when you pull on the hose, but if you've got the reel in your hand as you walk back to the boat that doesn't happen.

Correct - it was a good tip.

The other thing that happens is the as the reel moves, which it invariably will do the turning handle jams on something so you end up walking back to free it.

Edited by MJG

Indeed - ditto with the 'keeping up' method, unless I'm missing something.

Any way just had a thought - if the 'leave the reel by the boat method' is superior why do you never see the guy in war films deploying the wire to the explosives on the bridge using the same method.... :P

They always connect the explosives and then walk back with the reel deploying the wire as they go ... B) They can't afford to be faffing about trying to untangle the wire....

Edited by MJG

No, you are not missing anything.

Just, that if left attached and the reel left at the boat it could get dirty or even worse fall in the canal.

Well not that I know of.;)

We use two, both garden hose (just because we had them spare in the garage) - the first is relatively short (I'm guessing about 5m) normal hose which is used in the vast majority of instances and due its short length is not very bulky. We also have a longer 'flat' hose which can be used on its own, or added to the short one - yes this does have to be fully unwound to use - but we only need it when we need a long hose! (if that makes sense)

We also (after a tip from 'Keeping Up' on here) assembled it back to front. By this I mean we connected the 'tap connector' to the very end of the hose (the bit that would normally have the spray nozzle on) and the short bit that you would normally connect to the tap has the nozzle on and a connector.

Thus - we walk out to the tap and connect what is now the tap end and walk back to the boat reel in hand only unfurling what we need. When I get to the boat I connect the short bit to the connector in the centre of the reel and drop the nozzle in the tank filler.

We do the same . Also when we have finished filling I plug the end that I put on the tap to the centre fitting so the hose is totally sealed to keep the bugs out.

You take the reel to the tap. Plug it in and then walk back to the boat feeding it out as you go.

You take the reel to the tap. Plug it in and then walk back to the boat feeding it out as you go.

Precisely what I do, hence the original tip. I was replying to Bottle's post which said "Do it a similar way but leave the reel at the boat."

Can anyone recommend a supplier for a fold flat hose, I would like one with a reasonably robust winding reel mechanism and about 15m long, doesn't need to be food grade. Tried B&Q and ScrewFix today, no go. Tried Amazon, they have a couple but hard to see whether they are any good from the pictures.

Priority is size, am happy to spend a few extra minutes winding than give up space for a large reel.

Joshua

Can anyone recommend a supplier for a fold flat hose, I would like one with a reasonably robust winding reel mechanism and about 15m long, doesn't need to be food grade. Tried B&Q and ScrewFix today, no go. Tried Amazon, they have a couple but hard to see whether they are any good from the pictures.

Priority is size, am happy to spend a few extra minutes winding than give up space for a large reel.

Joshua

Try this from Machine Mart

My link

Having resolved to put a liner in the water tank (discoloured water perhaps indicating this is overdue), and discovered that the hose is 0.5m too short to reach the tank when we're on our new mooring, I have just bought 25m of 'proper' blue PVC hose in anticipation of being able to drink water from the tank again. It may be stiffer, but it's safer (there's a joke in there somewhere).

Since I'm boycotting Amazon for political reasons, went to e-shop linky who charge 99p a metre, with custom lengths available. Service impeccable: ordered 13.00h Sunday, hose delivered 10.45h Tuesday.

I must admit that if it was entirely up to me I'd have gone for garden hose, but in the interests of peace with the Memsahib...

....(it's her money anyway)

Rejected a flattenable hose because they get squashed and start to split all too easily.

not quite the same point but related. My water tank filler cap is in the cratch deck, at deck level. I am always slightly uncomfortable when filling it because the deck is not a clean place at all and gets al the soil off the towpath with its dog residues etc trailed through it on boots, and dirt gets into the cap etc too. It has always seemed odd to me that the water filler is not raised a bit above the level of the dirty deck. We don't drink tank water but it has always struck me as design flaw. Nobody makes a filler riser though as far as I can see.

not quite the same point but related. My water tank filler cap is in the cratch deck, at deck level. I am always slightly uncomfortable when filling it because the deck is not a clean place at all and gets al the soil off the towpath with its dog residues etc trailed through it on boots, and dirt gets into the cap etc too. It has always seemed odd to me that the water filler is not raised a bit above the level of the dirty deck. We don't drink tank water but it has always struck me as design flaw. Nobody makes a filler riser though as far as I can see.

Ours is on the side of the boat, on a vertical (well almost vertical) section of the hull well away from the waterline and also well away from the decks which can get dirty as you say. The only thing we have to watch is leaving the cap off by accident because the prevailing wind direction then blows any rain into the filler. Hence the water tank is currently being sterilized which we dont normally do :rolleyes:

I think that is quite common, I've certainly seen the same on hire boats we've been on. Ours is raised but it resides in the front locker. I suspect ones like yours and where it is are so in order to raise them would create a tripping hazard, unless they are right in at the edge of the deck in the cratch.

Have you ever seen the local supply company repair a water main that has been leaking for years so the water has been in contact with the surrounding soil and the colour of the mains water for the next two days when they have finished. I shan't worry about what leaches out of my hose, I will continue to flush it before use, seal it after and drink water straight from the boat taps without further treatment.

• Greenie 1