More Parsons gearbox trouble

Featured Posts

Oh. That would put the thrower on the input shaft side of the flange, it was bodged onto the output shaft side last time

Richard

The drawing such as it is in the book seems to suggest that the thrower was formed (punched) into the holes before rivetting. Sort of makes sense as it would mean that the rivets themselves were not constantly in shear, must have been a bit of a fiddle to get right though.

I think if you made the new centre big enough, you would get away from the fatigued area.

Tim

ETA that the countersinks were apparently facing forwards originally.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

That wretched Bizzard

A 99p aluminium IKEA frying pan is almost exactly the same size...

Richard

How do you secure the aluminium pan reliably to the centre?

Rivetting is probably the only way....

Tim

How do you secure the aluminium pan reliably to the centre?

Rivetting is probably the only way....

Tim

See, now you've caught it too - Bizzarditis

Richard

A few copper rivets, or perhaps a threaded plate with some countersunk screws

See, now you've caught it too - Bizzarditis

Richard

A few copper rivets, or perhaps a threaded plate with some countersunk screws

Not really. Not knowing how a 99p aluminium pan would respond to being spun at maybe 2000 rpm, I think I'd prefer to do it in steel by welding in a new centre. I might experiment beforehand with trying to reproduce the original securing method of (apparently) forming the steel sheet into the csk holes & then rivetting. Also you know the shape will fit ;)

Tim

I need a lay down..

That must have made a horrible sound. I would have ;-o

<snip>

No noise at all. The puller I used is a hydraulic one, it took the best part of an hour to pull that off

Richard

Not really. Not knowing how a 99p aluminium pan would respond to being spun at maybe 2000 rpm, I think I'd prefer to do it in steel by welding in a new centre. I might experiment beforehand with trying to reproduce the original securing method of (apparently) forming the steel sheet into the csk holes & then rivetting. Also you know the shape will fit ;)

Tim

How about using one of those pans that Bizzard uses to poach steel eggs?

Richard

I think you have already worked that out, but I have a manual in front of me that definitely confirms that the only difference between a Type D and Type DA box, is the use of an aluminium casing for the latter.

I also have a limited amount of stuff here on a Type B box.

I think you have already worked that out, but I have a manual in front of me that definitely confirms that the only difference between a Type D and Type DA box, is the use of an aluminium casing for the latter.

I also have a limited amount of stuff here on a Type B box.

It might be worth a call to Parsons Matthway just in case they have an oil thrower on the shelf. I've no idea what they do keep, it wasn't much 25 years ago, but apparently they do still offer some level of support.

I have an address here of Mercury Yacht Harbour, Satchell Lane, Hamble, Southampton, but that is from 1978!

My F type manual also covers the B type.

Tim

My F type manual also covers the B type.

Yes,

I have an undated "Parsons Types B & F Installation and Maintenance Guide", but also a 1960 Perkins produced offering "Mechanical Marine Gear Boxes Types D, DA & F as fitted to Perkins Diesel Engines". The latter doesn't actually mentioned "Parsons" but that's what the gearboxes actually were, of course.

For this particular problem, I don't think either will add much to what Richard has already worked out, though.

Edited by alan_fincher

I emailed Parsons Pathway Marine when the box first broke, but heard nothing back. Will try again after I had some sleep.

Thanks all, for your intersest and advice. And Bizzard, keep the cheap solutions coming, you never know, one of might just strike gold... :cheers: I f not, at least they cheer me up.

This gearbox is way out of adjustment. I'll take some photos to explain

Basically, it doesn't lock in either forward or reverse. Well, didn't, it locks in reverse OK now

Richard

I emailed Parsons Pathway Marine when the box first broke, but heard nothing back. Will try again after I had some sleep.

Thanks all, for your intersest and advice. And Bizzard, keep the cheap solutions coming, you never know, one of might just strike gold... :cheers: I f not, at least they cheer me up.

A private consultation with George Foreman and Antony Worrel-Thompson or Nicholas Parsons about pots and pans may be called for. :closedeyes: