T&M Tunnels

Sproz

Featured Posts

Hi,

Anyone reading my previous post a few weeks ago will have noticed that we have recently taken charge of a tupperware craft and are slowly bringing it from Willington nr Derby to the L&L near Chorley.

All has gone well so far, wind, snow (no heater!) locks (take fenders up as they can wedge the boat!) and Harecastle tunnel all done and enjoyed!

The question is that I have now realised that BW constraint data on the boaters guides is a load of old tosh, bridges that they say were low we fitted ok but others were a squeeze, especially one nr Middlewich after a loch that had me off the boat pulling it along the towpath scraping the windscreen! so now we have to go through tunnels up to Preston brook so are these similar dimensions to Harecastle (i.e. screen down please) and whats the rules on entering (apart from the posted timings) do you sound the horn or can you tell if another boat is in the tunnel????

A big thanks to whoever suggested Mrs Manly's farm moorings, we got on the waiting list and after 2wks she rang with a space that has a lovely decking area, I also thought it was cheap until BW slapped me with a L3 moorings bill.

So if you see a grubby needs doing up tupperware wandering past with squashed fenders and a cold crew over the Mayday weekend give us a wave!!!

if someone could answer the tunnel query that would be appreciated!

Cheers!

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=45701&view=findpost&p=846956

;)

As before if you fit thru' Harecastle which you did - you will be fine in the rest.

Stick to the timings and you will be fine too - If there is a boat in a tunnel you can normally see the tunnel light and hear the (amplified) sound of it's engine.

ed - before anybody adds it - unless of course it has broken down in there which is such a rare co-occurrence as to not be concerned about.....

Edited by MJG

There are no timings on the first tunnel you meet at Barnton, just steer into the tunnel mouth and look and listen for any oncoming boats. The tunnel is crooked but you should be ok with the height.

Saltersford tunnel is timed but you have a 20 minute slot(on the hour I think) to get through. The tunnel is also crooked and is low near the north end so take care.

Preston Brook is also timed(also on the hour I think) and is the straightest tunnel and has plenty of height and should be ok.

If your windscreen is easy to dismantle I would take it down for Barnton and Saltersford tunnels to be on the safe side.

Steve

No need to toot horn as they are timed as you say,its only Saltesford tunnel that kinks in the middle,where you cannot see through to the end until your half way through.

[so make sure your light is pointing forward and not up as I mistakenly did recently]

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=45701&view=findpost&p=846956

;)

As before if you fit thru' Harecastle which you did - you will be fine in the rest.

Stick to the timings and you will be fine too - If there is a boat in a tunnel you can normally see the tunnel light and hear the (amplified) sound of it's engine.

ed - before anybody adds it - unless of course it has broken down in there which is such a rare co-occurrence as to not be concerned about.....

Saltersford also has timed entry now, and be aware that it suddenly gets lower & narrower near the Northern end, where it's been reinforced with Gunnite (sprayed concrete). Not likely to be a problem if you've been through Harecastle, though.

Tim

You can get a glimpse of the other end of Saltersford - you need to know when to look though as it's a very small angle. The S-bend in the middle is fun. The curves in Barnton aren't as tight but I find with that one you're forever having to adjust the tiller as it's constantly gently crooked.

Thanks for the replies, I'll take the screen and canopy down I think (hope its not peeing it down)to be safe, it also means I can watch where I'm going instead of watching the roof height!!

A note to anyone else with a tupperware...listen to the tunnel keeper at Harecastle, I'm glad he recommended taking the screen down, its only a few screws and worth it as it would have been very close if not smashed, he said someone chose to ignore his advice a week before and wrecked it.

Hi,

Anyone reading my previous post a few weeks ago will have noticed that we have recently taken charge of a tupperware craft and are slowly bringing it from Willington nr Derby to the L&L near Chorley.

All has gone well so far, wind, snow (no heater!) locks (take fenders up as they can wedge the boat!) and Harecastle tunnel all done and enjoyed!

The question is that I have now realised that BW constraint data on the boaters guides is a load of old tosh, bridges that they say were low we fitted ok but others were a squeeze, especially one nr Middlewich after a loch that had me off the boat pulling it along the towpath scraping the windscreen! so now we have to go through tunnels up to Preston brook so are these similar dimensions to Harecastle (i.e. screen down please) and whats the rules on entering (apart from the posted timings) do you sound the horn or can you tell if another boat is in the tunnel????

A big thanks to whoever suggested Mrs Manly's farm moorings, we got on the waiting list and after 2wks she rang with a space that has a lovely decking area, I also thought it was cheap until BW slapped me with a L3 moorings bill.

So if you see a grubby needs doing up tupperware wandering past with squashed fenders and a cold crew over the Mayday weekend give us a wave!!!

if someone could answer the tunnel query that would be appreciated!

Cheers!

You enjoyed the Harecastle? :o I hate the flippin' place - can't wait to get through it. Flat out me, if I'm first in!

Hope you have great fun with your boat, Tupperware or not.

You enjoyed the Harecastle? :o I hate the flippin' place - can't wait to get through it. Flat out me, if I'm first in!

Hope you have great fun with your boat, Tupperware or not.

Flat Out! :blink::o:(

I'd be terrified of stirring something up from the bottom. The last thing I'd want to do in a tunnel is go down the weedhatch

Perhaps I'm just a coward

Richard