Mega Fuse Holder to take 95mm2 cable - Where?

Richard10002

Featured Posts

Sterling Combi Inverter/Charger.

Ordered the 95mm2 battery cable and some 95-8 ring lugs. Now need to deal with the 400A fuse.

Having looked at Mega Fuse holders online, I'm wondering if the cable and lug will fit the holders. Some seem to specify a max. cable size, generally from 35-50mm2

Rather than just order a Mega Fuse holder, how can I be sure that my cable will fit?

Hope that makes sense!

Many Thanks

Richard

i have used these before ,very helpfull ,if you have any queries just ring them ,the guys name is Steve and he really knows his stuff.

http://www.rawcomponents.co.uk/

Emailed them about 15 mins ago and he's just been on the phone! Can't get better than that!

Need to wait for the cable and lugs to see what they measure - but will probably make things work with their holder.

Great link!

Sterling Combi Inverter/Charger.

Ordered the 95mm2 battery cable and some 95-8 ring lugs. Now need to deal with the 400A fuse.

Having looked at Mega Fuse holders online, I'm wondering if the cable and lug will fit the holders. Some seem to specify a max. cable size, generally from 35-50mm2

Rather than just order a Mega Fuse holder, how can I be sure that my cable will fit?

Hope that makes sense!

Many Thanks

Richard

I would suggest using and ANL fuse and holder or a T Class fuse and holder when that CSA cable is being used

Keith M

Bit late on this one.

What about VWP: VWP link

I think the t-class fuse and holder is the better way to go - it's what our boat has. These have better heat dissipation properties than the types above, though they are significantly more expensive.

We blew our t-class fuse last year and from memory it cost is around £20 to replace the fuse alone.

I use Blue Sea systems.400 amp mega fuse and holder.Expensive but the best.Will take mega size cables,by the way I use welding cable to suit the size and length required to do the job.I always over specify on cable size.

Edited by bowten

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I've gone for:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/automotive-fuses/2261005/

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/base-mount-fuse-holders/3809923/

Would I be better getting the 95mm2 lugs crimped by a local electrician, or auto shop, or is it worth buying a hydraulic crimper, (up to 120mm2 cable), for about £60? ( I've already got an 8-70mm crimper).

Thanks for the help so far.

Richard

Would I be better getting the 95mm2 lugs crimped by a local electrician, or auto shop, or is it worth buying a hydraulic crimper, (up to 120mm2 cable), for about £60? ( I've already got an 8-70mm crimper).

Richard

Hello Richard

I would be more than happy to crimp the cable for you

What part of the UK are you in

Keith M

Richard

Those are perfect.You can hire the crimpers for a couple a quid.

Hello Richard

I would be more than happy to crimp the cable for you

What part of the UK are you in

Keith M

Thanks Kieth... I'm in Manchester. Had an offer from Nottingham, but it would cost as much in fuel as buying a crimper :) where are you?

Richard

Those are perfect.You can hire the crimpers for a couple a quid.

Where from. I can only find them at the usual places for about £70 per day !!

Richard

Thanks Kieth... I'm in Manchester. Had an offer from Nottingham, but it would cost as much in fuel as buying a crimper :) where are you?

Richard

Where from. I can only find them at the usual places for about £70 per day !!

Richard

Thats crazy money.Go to yer nearest boatyard and let them do it for you.

Thanks Kieth... I'm in Manchester. Had an offer from Nottingham, but it would cost as much in fuel as buying a crimper where are you?

Richard

I am in Hinckley Leics

Keith

Thats crazy money.Go to yer nearest boatyard and let them do it for you.

Most Of the ther Boat Yards that I know do not have the capabilty to correctly crimp 95 mm cable

Keith

what in the name of sweet Mary and Joseph do you need 95 sq mm cable for ?

That's what I would've thought before getting into this!

A 2500w inverter, 4m from the batteries. It's to do with voltage drop, rather than current.

I am in Hinckley Leics

Most Of the ther Boat Yards that I know do not have the capabilty to correctly crimp 95 mm cable

Keith

Similar trip to Nottingham - but thanks.

I've enquired of the local yard at Stretford Marina, and am going to call in at an old fashioned auto electrics yard next week. If neither works, I'll probably plump for buying the crimpers at £60. At least I'll be able to help others out in the future.

I've enquired of the local yard at Stretford Marina, and am going to call in at an old fashioned auto electrics yard next week. If neither works, I'll probably plump for buying the crimpers at £60. At least I'll be able to help others out in the future.

If it came to that I'd consider soldering, if the cable is well supported near the connection it will be fine.

Maybe also consider a local forklift engineers/maintenance type place.

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

That's what I would've thought before getting into this!

A 2500w inverter, 4m from the batteries. It's to do with voltage drop, rather than current.

Similar trip to Nottingham - but thanks.

Richard,

If you can't get it done locally - - If you PM me your address, I'll send you my crimpers - - on the not unreasonable understanding that you return them, of course!

what in the name of sweet Mary and Joseph do you need 95 sq mm cable for ?

Panasonic's latest breadmaker draws a fairly hefty current :glare:

(PS - - I've a few metres of 95mm2 cable on G&F to charge the throwbuster batteries)

and am going to call in at an old fashioned auto electrics yard next week.

Called in this morning, showed them the lug, and they said no problem and about 50p a crimp. Apologised that they couldn't do it today :)

Looks like a result, but it will be next week before I've got the wires cut to length and prepared with the lugs attached.

Thanks to everyone for the kind offers.

Tim: if all fails, I'll take you up on your offer - Might even come by boat :)

Richard