Mick Thompson - The Remote Control Man

Wobbly Dick

Featured Posts

I'm looking for Mick Thompson, he is the fella that was on Waterworld with his remote control device.

I got in contact with Waterworld producers and they gave me a contact number but no replies.

Is he still working on the remote control system or given it up?

Just a little sideline: Ventus have been very good helping me in working on an hydraulic steering system. The system uses an Electric Hydralic Pump and I'm working on remotely controlling this pump. Was thinking of a make/break remote relay. If anyone has done this before, or as ideas then I would be grateful?

I'm looking for Mick Thompson, he is the fella that was on Waterworld with his remote control device.

I got in contact with Waterworld producers and they gave me a contact number but no replies.

Just a little sideline: Ventus have been very good helping me in working on an hydraulic steering system. The system uses an Electric Hydralic Pump and I'm working on remotely controlling this pump. Was thinking of a make/break remote relay. If anyone has done this before, or as ideas then I would be grateful?

It's been done before and Vetus sell all the kit to do it, BUT the powers that be do not like the idea of R/C boats so be warned.

There is a bit of info on something a bit similar we did HERE

The steering is easy the engine might be a bit more involved but should be possible but it will not be a cheap project to do using stock products.

If you really want to go down this line Vetus do all the kit that is needed if you need a Vetus catalogue message me your address and I will send you one.

If you need any more info let me know.

Funny old thing, Wobbly, I have done a circuit diagrqam of just such a system. I will post it in the Gallery and link back here.

HYDRO-STEER

Its quite straight froward. If you should need an explanation give me a nudge.

Edited by Maffi

Thanks Gary! :huh:

Vetus are being a big help and they have sent Catalogue and Price list.

It's been done before and Vetus sell all the kit to do it, BUT the powers that be do not like the idea of R/C boats so be warned.

There is a bit of info on something a bit similar we did HERE

The steering is easy the engine might be a bit more involved but should be possible but it will not be a cheap project to do using stock products.

If you really want to go down this line Vetus do all the kit that is needed if you need a Vetus catalogue message me your address and I will send you one.

If you need any more info let me know.

Cheers Maffi! :P

The diagram looks fine to me.... but I'm no expert..... What parts have you used..... Electo Hydraulic Pump, Relays, Controler etc?

Funny old thing, Wobbly, I have done a circuit diagrqam of just such a system. I will post it in the Gallery and link back here.

HYDRO-STEER

Maffi,

Have done something similar on another boat.

This is effectively a non-follow up steering system (electro-hydraulic) and most boat autopilots work on a similar principle.

Its very difficult to steer a boat with a jog lever and if you haven't got a tiller which acts as a visual indicator, its difficult to see what the rudder is doing. If you can't see the rudder, one solution is a rudder angle indicator. The other drawback with the Vetus system is that the cylinders are designed to give a maximum rudder angle of +/- 35 degrees from midships which is not enough on the canal.

One solution to this is a Becker flapped rudder, as this will give a dual rudder angle (max 35 degrees say on the main vane with about 80 degrees on the flap).

If feasible, its best to use hand hydraulics on the cylinder with the reversible pump acting as an override when on remote control.

Mark

HYDRO-STEER

Edited by NB Willawaw

I met him on the canal last year at Audlem and he gave me his card i will look it out at the w/end

Although the throttle was proportional the rudder was not you had full left or right or central.

I can not tell if Maffi's is or not.

No how long you hold the switch determines which rudder angle you get.

As it is drawn you need to return the rudder to neutral, selecting opposite rudder until you are central.

As Mark says some kind of indicator is required which, though correct, isn't the point of the drawing.

Edited by Maffi

Cheers Maffi! :)

The diagram looks fine to me.... but I'm no expert..... What parts have you used..... Electro Hydraulic Pump, Relays, Controller etc?

This is just a mind diagram based on my knowledge of hydraulics on similar systems on aircraft and other system I have seen on boats. It will work as is, but could be improved on.

One possibility is to use a simple hydralic pump and operate a diverter valve off the switch to extend or retract the ram.

Utilising a twin jack system will give greater than 35 degrees each way, but having the space is another story.

The Becker flap that Mark mentioned could be used and doesn't have to be part of the Hydraulic system at all.

Edited by Maffi

Sorry Maffi - wasn't trying to tyre-kick your drawing. I was just trying to add a couple of quantifying comments based on my own findings, in case people wanted to go away and make one.

I'm doing this on a boat at the moment and have already run across some of these problems.

Mark

This is just a mind diagram based on my knowledge of hydraulics on similar systems on aircraft and other system I have seen on boats. It will work as is, but could be improved on.

One possibility is to use a simple hydralic pump and operate a diverter valve off the switch to extend or retract the ram.

Utilising a twin jack system will give greater than 35 degrees each way, but having the space is another story.

The Becker flap that Mark mentioned could be used and doesn't have to be part of the Hydraulic system at all.

Try

http://www.becker-marine-systems.com/

If you go to rudder products and click "flap", there is a good downloadable movie which will explain the concept.

These are used a lot on bigger ships and have the advantage of providing directional thrust when manoeuvering.

I don't see any reason why they can't be downsized for canal use.

One of the question marks I have come across is the type of bearing that you need to use in the flap slot (the slot causes the flap to go that much harder over than the main rudder vane). Sounds like just the project for an engineering student. If you play with slider/slot positioning, you can create all kinds of primary and secondary angles.

Design one Dan - you could make a fortune.

Mark

Mark, can you shead some more light on this "becker flap" rudder?

- Ive tryed google/wiki and not found much helpfull info on the subject.

Daniel

Edited by NB Willawaw

This is another one that comes up every few months. Most of the ideas, Kort nozzles, directed flow and the like they have all been tried on narrowboats at one time or another. They all fail on account of the difficulties when a lump of timber get firmly lodged in there.

I know a chap who had a directed flow arrangement on a Springer, he always said it worked quite well with ultra-light tiller action but it suffered from the usual problem, he cut it off and fitted a conventional rudder. We keep coming up with the same lesson on narrowboats, keep it simple.

I have heard of the Becker Flap and can see the possible advantage when going forward, but what happens to flap, and affect, in reverse?

I think, as was pointed out earlier, it may be best to keep it simple.

What about about an electric motor, belt drive system? Mount motor next to tiller shaft, have gog wheel on tiller shaft and motor shaft, with a chain link...... comments please?

Try

http://www.becker-marine-systems.com/

If you go to rudder products and click "flap", there is a good downloadable movie which will explain the concept.

These are used a lot on bigger ships and have the advantage of providing directional thrust when manoeuvering.

I don't see any reason why they can't be downsized for canal use.

One of the question marks I have come across is the type of bearing that you need to use in the flap slot (the slot causes the flap to go that much harder over than the main rudder vane). Sounds like just the project for an engineering student. If you play with slider/slot positioning, you can create all kinds of primary and secondary angles.

Design one Dan - you could make a fortune.

Mark

OK, so you have the main rudder, pivoted pritty much as usual, then you have the "flap", which is atached with a hinge to the trailing edge of the main rudder. The is then an arm at the top of the flap and it attached to the hull by a pin running in a slot.

- Or attached at a bearing, with the arm being made extendable.

Sounds interesting.

- I also notice they have a fair bit of information about the Schilling rudder as well.

- There is somone in the SBA who has fitted a schilliing to his launch (purely for the fun, becuase hes interested in that wort of thing) and says its wonderfull.

We have though for a while we might make and fit one for emilyanne. or possable add two "slave" rudders eather side of the main one.

- While it might not be perfect for everyone, we do have a problem in that she is very non-resposive and that there in not sufficent room to fitt a larger rudder.

Daniel

Sorry Maffi - wasn't trying to tyre-kick your drawing. I was just trying to add a couple of quantifying comments based on my own findings, in case people wanted to go away and make one.

Mark

I understood that Mark :)

Wobbly,

I have just got back from my Helmsmans course at Stourport-on-Severn. On the way out of Stourport basin, immediately after the York Street lock was a boat claiming to be 'The remote control boat' and, to cap it all on the way back the boat behind us through the same lock was 'single handed' and using a remote control. I am sorry but I didn't get the name of the boat because I didn't find out until a little while after. But if you are any where near Stourport 2 boats are there (flood warnings and red traffic lights on the locks down to the Servern are currently the order of the day).

• 2 years later...

Met him a few weeks back on the T&M ... and from his flyer ...

Phone : 0138 470350

Mobile : 07860 761 871

Saw it in action, very briefly, and was rather impressed. If you let go of any control button the whole thing defaults to neutral and straight rudder.

Quick Edit To Add - one comment above says that the Left/Right is only at Full Lock, but the latest one I saw had far more control for Left/Right that came from his work on 'power steering' for his boat.

Edited by Chris J W

Met him a few weeks back on the T&M ... and from his flyer ...

Phone : 0138 470350

Mobile : 07860 761 871

Saw it in action, very briefly, and was rather impressed. If you let go of any control button the whole thing defaults to neutral and straight rudder.

Quick Edit To Add - one comment above says that the Left/Right is only at Full Lock, but the latest one I saw had far more control for Left/Right that came from his work on 'power steering' for his boat.

Thanks a lot

• 2 weeks later...