Tidal Trent

Keeping Up

Featured Posts

Shamelessly copied from a post by Ian McCarthy on newsgroup uk,rec.waterways:

"there is a gravel barge stuck on a sandbar below Cromwell lock on the tidal Trent and there is no chance of re-floating it soon as the tides are small and there is no flow down the river. We just got over the cill at Torksey yesterday at high tide when it got to 3ft 5inches of water over the cill."

Seems as if the tidal Trent has a few problems already.

Hope the T n M is okay after Easter so we can get home again!

I mentioned a shoal in shardlow on the Trent which has appeared this week to a couple of locals earlier today, and they said thats always there, when they saw it they said, OH, not that one, not seen that before.... :mellow:

Not unusual - spring and neap tides can be 20% high or lower than normal tides. Think it has something to do with the moon phase....the moon has only just come out of its first quarter....but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong though.

http://www.dacre.net/moon/moonphase.html

Having said that we've gone over Keadby bridge at around teatime the last couple of days and the river is low. The canal however is pretty high. The river will get high tides:

http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EASYTIDE/EasyTide/ShowPrediction.aspx?PortID=0178&PredictionLength=7

Seeing barges stuck on the Trent was a pretty normal sight when I was a kid...............mind I expect they are lot bigger and deeper draughted these days.

Seeing barges stuck on the Trent was a pretty normal sight when I was a kid...............mind I expect they are lot bigger and deeper draughted these days.

Are you that old? ;)

From my experience all the boats currently plying on the Trent gravel traffics are ancient craft. Ok, all have been extended over the years but I'd think deepening the draught would be a non starter as they wouldn't go anywhere on the canal system once into Goole Docks.

Are you that old? ;)

Neil there are those who would say I am older then that even rolleyes.gif

I found this link to the sort of barges I used to see in the 60's en route to Gainsborough probably to the flour mills.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatraskoda/5039898240/

Nice to see the gravel barges though.

Neil there are those who would say I am older then that even rolleyes.gif

I found this link to the sort of barges I used to see in the 60's en route to Gainsborough probably to the flour mills.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatraskoda/5039898240/

Nice to see the gravel barges though.

Exellent pic of my favourite river :cheers:

When I was new to boating in the late 1970's early 1980's I hired from and later became a moorer at the then boatyard in Stockwith basin. The hire company always insisted on pilotting their boats on the Trent.

One of their pilots (John the engineer I think) told me to remeber that the tides in the Trent do not behave like the open sea.

On the sea spring tides have the 'highest highs and lowest lows' - neap tides have the 'lowest highs and highest lows'

On the Trent spring tides have the 'highest highs and highest lows) - neap tides have the 'lowest highs and lowest lows'

Never heard this from anyone else.

We took a walk along the Trent Bank today just below Keadby Bridge as the canal towpath was a no goer for the dogs due to a fishing tournament.....and the water looked fairly normal to us. Picture was taken just before 3pm today

trentlevel142012.jpg

The beach at Dunham Bridge has reappeared again in the last couple of weeks so water levels on the tidal Trent are a little low but nothing to owrry about. It just means those using the river will have to be very careful to stay in the channel.

• 1 year later...

during the 1960s i worked on the barges and used the trent every week we would load gravel at Girton and set of back down the trent most times we would ground and have to wait till the next tide

has for torksey lock we would take wheat up to the ideal mill at Lincoln and always had to wait till nearly hign water before we could get in the lock with a draft of 5 feet