Self Pump Out

BGA

Featured Posts

Hi All, just joined this forum and having read several posts about pump out problems I was wondering why with all the other pumping systems that modern boats have don't have pumps dedicated to pumping out their own tanks. All you would have to do then would be to take the black water hose to a suitable drain and the boat empties its own tank. Systems like this are already installed in many American motorhomes.

Hi All, just joined this forum and having read several posts about pump out problems I was wondering why with all the other pumping systems that modern boats have don't have pumps dedicated to pumping out their own tanks. All you would have to do then would be to take the black water hose to a suitable drain and the boat empties its own tank. Systems like this are already installed in many American motorhomes.

there is a self pump out available. I used it on the previous boat as the roundtrip for pump out was a bit OTT. However, it is not for the faint hearted!

Some of ours do it's not complicated and quite cheap.

You could HEDGE your bets, I tripped over a pipe one night just outside Cropredy!

We have two outlets, one with macerator pump built in, one without. We also have a manual hand pump at our mooring. They don't cost much and are very easy to use. Not messy either. When you finish, you just put the end of the pipe in the canal and pump some canal water through it to clean the pipe.

A lot of places wont let you pump into their Elsan points or drains - but prefer you to pay £15 for there pump!

In our case it is nothing to do with charging. We don't even do pump outs. It is because we only have a cess pit which would fill up considerably quicker if self pump out were allowed.

BTW it costs us £140 to have it emptied

Edited by rallyfan

We have two outlets, one with macerator pump built in, one without. We also have a manual hand pump at our mooring. They don't cost much and are very easy to use. Not messy either. When you finish, you just put the end of the pipe in the canal and pump some canal water through it to clean the pipe.

Is this the type of pump we are talking about here http://www.jabscoshop.com/item.asp?ls=Rule...87E6A51F&id=813 if so where do you mount them and how do you connect up to the disposal point? :huh:

Regards

Phil

Is this the type of pump we are talking about here http://www.jabscoshop.com/item.asp?ls=Rule...87E6A51F&id=813 if so where do you mount them and how do you connect up to the disposal point? :huh:

Regards

Phil

No. Ours is manual. It has a handle and you physically have to pump. That looks like it would do the job though. We have a hole in the floor of our mooring room which I think connects to the sewage. You could just stick the pipe down the toilet bowl. I don't know if you are allowed to do that at BW disposal points though.

Your bodily wastes are collected in a tank, there's a two inch or thereabouts diameter hose from that tank to a socket on your gunwhales or roof, and when the tank's full you moor at a pump-out station, they unscrew your cover, stick a pipe down into your hose and suck everything out.

Lovely! :P Cheers Moley :huh:

Your bodily wastes are collected in a tank, there's a two inch or thereabouts diameter hose from that tank to a socket on your gunwhales or roof, and when the tank's full you moor at a pump-out station, they unscrew your cover, stick a pipe down into your hose and suck everything out.

That Heavy Duty pump is a damn good pump.We used to use them to Refuel Harriers in Belize. Pumps about 6000 lbs of JP4 in 30 minutes IIRC. Mind you it had no 'additives' :):):)

That's the badger we've got! Really good. It is so simple that very little can go wrong. Something ( I won't tell you what ) got stuck in it the other day, so I took it apart. I was amazed how easy it is is to open up and put back together. Might be a bit bulky to keep on the boat though... ours stays on land in a storage cupboard next to the "poo hole".

The pump looks great, but where do you pump out to?

:) Do you know that toilet paper has only been around for 150 years...... what did boaters do for 75 years before the lovely loo roll? :)

Wobbly, We have a slue, which is basically a toilet bowl cemented into the ground. It connects to the mains sewage.

We were out on our old boat, Jester and bumped into somebody (not litereally!) who said that they had owned the boat many moons ago, and, when he first got it, went to pump out the loo... after hours and hours of pumping it was still 'coming out'

He realised shortly afterwards it was a sea toilet and he was pumping the canal... back into the canal!

Fantastic :)

We were out on our old boat, Jester and bumped into somebody (not litereally!) who said that they had owned the boat many moons ago, and, when he first got it, went to pump out the loo... after hours and hours of pumping it was still 'coming out'

He realised shortly afterwards it was a sea toilet and he was pumping the canal... back into the canal!