LPG monitor/alarm

MtB

Featured Posts

I have been looking in some depth for a while now for an LPG monitor that is battery operated and therefore portable. The only combustible gas detectors I can find have to be permanently wired into the boat electrics.

I'm imagining something that looks like a CO detector, with a 9v battery in it, but detects LPG rather than CO. Does anybody know of such a product?

Thanks in anticipation!

Mike

Guest wanted

Screw fix used to sell a hand held 'wand' for detecting LPG, We bought a load for some of the instilations we have made, I will have a look and see, never used them though as they are crap outside! (Kept the elf n safety happy)

I have been looking in some depth for a while now for an LPG monitor that is battery operated and therefore portable. The only combustible gas detectors I can find have to be permanently wired into the boat electrics.

I'm imagining something that looks like a CO detector, with a 9v battery in it, but detects LPG rather than CO. Does anybody know of such a product?

Thanks in anticipation!

Mike

Try this one:-

http://www.kane.co.uk/online-catalogue/gas-leak-detection/leak-sense

Tim

I thought the OP wanted something portable, as in hand held, but maybe I've misunderstood?

I've got an old Trac-a-Leak, it takes six AA alkaline cells. Not sure how long they last, rarely use it, but if it's for continuous use probably no time at all.

Tim

I thought the OP wanted something portable, as in hand held, but maybe I've misunderstood?

I've got an old Trac-a-Leak, it takes six AA alkaline cells. Not sure how long they last, rarely use it, but if it's for continuous use probably no time at all.

Tim

Replying to blackrose post.

Ah, there is is...

Tim

If he wants a handheld LPG detector Maplins used to sell one for about 30 quid. I'm not sure if they still stock it?

Found one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Type-Leak-Detector-Detects-Butane/dp/B00435T7MK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_3

Edited by blackrose

Ah, there is is...

If he wants a handheld LPG detector Maplins used to sell one for about 30 quid. I'm not sure if they still stock it?

Ahh never seen that article but I have the Dual watch model fitted it says 65 ma cosumption on the article what the hell is that in English ? All I can say is that it is on 24/7 365 on my boat and makes little or no impact on my battery bank and it has Lpg and co sensors.

65ma is 65 milliamps or 65/1000ths of an amp.

As you say, it's not much at all.

Still probably enough to kill a PP3 battery in a few weeks.

Odd that they can make a CO monitor with a battery life of about four years but not a propane monitor, given that some of the 12v and 240v CO monitors can have a CO sensor that can be removed and a propane sensor plugged in instead.

(Edited to correct SO many spelling mistakes!)

Ah, there is is...

Found one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Type-Leak-Detector-Detects-Butane/dp/B00435T7MK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_3

Thanks but no, I'm looking for a permanent monitor (like a CO monitor) that will beep if it detects LPG at any time, not a 'use once in a while' tool for leak tracing.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman