Totally Frustrated By Lack Of Information by BW.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Just spoken to BW. Later today the famous Red/Amber/Green map will be published. Essentially it will be the same as the one passed around at the meeting a couple of weeks ago, but it will be in different shades of blue - to counter the view that large parts of the system are closed!

The shows are still going ahead, apparently, but organisers will be urged to persuade people to travel to them by car. I think they may have had Crick in mind.

Just spoken to BW. Later today the famous Red/Amber/Green map will be published. Essentially it will be the same as the one passed around at the meeting a couple of weeks ago, but it will be in different shades of blue - to counter the view that large parts of the system are closed!

It would be a bit odd if it were unchanged, seeing that Calcutt was shown as a "green" at Tring, but has just joined other flights on the "restricted passage" list.

It's not going to be of maximum use if it shows as a good place to be, somewhere that clearly is not!

The shows are still going ahead, apparently, but organisers will be urged to persuade people to travel to them by car. I think they may have had Crick in mind.

haha *imagines lots of full length working boats arriving at Braunston by artic*

Edited by Black Ibis

I still have some difficulty in understanding why the situation isn't being afforded a greater level of urgency.

I believe that widebeam boats were to be discouraged/banned from Tring summit - this doesn't appear to have been mentioned (yet). There will be wide beam boats that want/need to cross the summit. Why not restrict them (or give them priority over other craft) henceforth (for example) to between 07.30 and 09.00 only, northbound on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, southbound on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday?

There's no mention of restrictions at Soulbury Three Locks nor is there any emphasis being placed on sharing locks/waiting for (whatever time period is decreed) before proceeding solo through and/or turning the first lock that you come to after each time that you start/restart from a mooring. As this latter element is so vital to conserving water shouldn't BW consider individual mailings to all boat owners with moorings in the affected area.

I worry that whilst the major flights may be restricted, there's still about 33 miles and 19 locks between Marsworth and Stoke Bruerne that aren't. I can see a lot of movements that might have gone further afield being limited to this area with the (possibly) unexpected effect on the levels in the unrestricted area.

I received the folowing emails today from Waterscape that relate to GU mainline:

Grand Union Canal-Tring Summit Locks 39-46Monday 26 March 2012 until further notice From Monday 26th March 2012 the Tring Summit Flight (Locks 39-46) will be open from 10.00am - 3.00pm daily.

Last entry into Flight at Lock 39 (from the North) and Lock 45 (from the South) will be 1.30pm.

Last entry into Lock 46 (from the South) will be 3.00pm.

Mooring overnight only on the summit between Locks 45 and 46.

Grand Union Canal Stoke Bruerne Locks 16 - 20

Monday 19 March 2012 until further notice From Monday 19th March 2012 the Flight will be open from 10.00am - 3.00pm daily.

The last entry into the Flight will be 2.00pm.

No overnight mooring in the Flight (locks 16 - 20).

Grand Union Canal Calcutt Locks 1-3Monday 19 March 2012 until further notice From Monday 19th March Calcutt Locks 1-3 will be open 9.00am - 4.00pm daily.

Last entry into flight 3.30pm

Grand Union Canal Braunston Lock Flight 1-6

Monday 19 March 2012 until further notice From Monday 19th March Braunston Flight will be open 9.00am - 4.00pm daily.

Last entry to flight 2.30pm.

No overnight mooring in flight.

Grand Union Canal Buckby Lock Flight 7-13

Monday 19 March 2012 until further notice From Monday 19th March Buckby Flight will be open 10.00am - 3.00pm daily.

Last entry for through traffic 1.30pm.

Overnight mooring only permissible in pound between Locks 7 & 8

Padlocks will be in place on locks 7, 8 & 13.

At least it's not total closure i suppose - yet

Sorry for repeating information I now see has already been posted but I have also added Buckby as an edit I ommitted it in error

Mick

Edited by zodiak

Jim, do you know where it will be published?

Will it be on-line?

regards

David

I've been promised an email. I'm not sure where BW are going to put it online, but I'll post it here as soon as I receive it.

I worry that whilst the major flights may be restricted, there's still about 33 miles and 19 locks between Marsworth and Stoke Bruerne that aren't. I can see a lot of movements that might have gone further afield being limited to this area with the (possibly) unexpected effect on the levels in the unrestricted area.

I think BW is going to rely heavily on back pumping up from the Ouse valley.

The closure of locks, as I understand it, is to restrict the number of boats that can be on the move i.e. to throttle the demand. At some sites, where there is not a huge amount of traffic - i.e. on the Tring summit BW hopes to save only 50Ml per week by restricting the lock hours at Cowroast and Marsworth. At other very busy sites - e.g. Hillmorton, BW estimate they will save 1500Ml pw. by limiting lock hours.

I received the folowing emails today from Waterscape that relate to GU mainline:

Sorry for repeating information I now see has already been posted

Mick

I don't think your list includes Buckby ?

Interesting that Stoke Bruerne says "no overnight mooring in the flight" as much of the mooring that is available at SB, is in the flight!

I don't think your list includes Buckby ?

Interesting that Stoke Bruerne says "no overnight mooring in the flight" as much of the mooring that is available at SB, is in the flight!

The restriction quotes locks 16-20. The overnight mooring is in the pound between locks 15 and 16

The restriction quotes locks 16-20. The overnight mooring is in the pound between locks 15 and 16

Buckby now added for completeness

Thanks

Mick (thanks also for the JB weld advice which I will use to restick glass mounted window catches)

Edited by zodiak

Quite right of course.

In fact the whole restriction notice only cites the bottom 5 locks.

That could imply there is free access to and from the long pound through the top 2 locks at all times.

But, if I had to guess, I bet there will actually be padlocks going on at the top.

At the stupid prices they are chargin g for mooring it will be cheaper to charter a private helicopter to get there!

Surprisingly they said no mooring in Braunston flight. I bet the pub won't like that!

When a lot of people start and stop in the pound below the pub, this really upsets the "sharing locks" principle, so I'm not at all surprised.

I've been following this thread with interest, as I moor on the Cosgrove pound and need to get to Braunston this weekend for a booked docking there. Seems I'm just going to beat the closures, but wonder if I'll get back!

Looking at the areas affected makes me think about all the filled in side ponds between Tring summit and Buckby Top - the old engineers knew something which BW has conveniently forgotten during their last 50 years in charge.

I don't imagine this will work first time, but trying anyway!

Google Docs Link - South East Map

Google Docs Link - National Map

I'm expecting permissions problems, but can anyone view these PDF documents, please ?

Edited by alan_fincher