Gas BBQ

MIKE P

Featured Posts

Getting ready for another years boating and on my list will be a new gas BBQ.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Stuff of the devil. Barbeques use ccharcoal or wood not gas. Do you mean you want a new outdoor gas cooker ?

• Greenie 1

Stuff of the devil. Barbeques use ccharcoal or wood not gas. Do you mean you want a new outdoor gas cooker ?

Barbeques also use gas, for instant heat, less mess, than ccharcoal or wood.

So what you call an outdoor gas cooker, yes thats what I mean in your terms of interpretation.

So what outdoor gas cooker would you recommend?

Any recommendations welcome.:rolleyes:

So what you call an outdoor gas cooker, yes thats what I mean in your terms of interpretation.

Have you looked on ebay Mike ? Just had a squint and there are several types of all sizes some are very portable and ideal for the boat.

I like Tim favour proper BBQ's ie ones that use charcoal but if I was to get a gas one it would be a Weber.

Both our BBQ's (the one at home and the one on the boat) are Weber products - they are well made and solid - but a bit pricey. ours though have lasted many years and we use the BBQ's regularly from spring into Autumn so they get heavily used.

Linky to Weber gas BBQ

Bit cheaper here but out of stock

Edited by MJG

Bit of a hangover from my caravanning days - but I love my Cadac !

Can be set up as a griddle, oven, BBQ, or a scottle (like a big wok)

Great for Breakfasts, BBQs and Currys etc al fresco

NOT cheap though - but I have had mine about 6 years and still going strong!

Packs away into a circular set of bags about 18" diameter or so.

Bloody heavy though - but also very well made.....

Can't wait for some good weather now ..... :rolleyes:

Cheers

Andy

Sorry, I wouldn't recommend any, that's another gas cylinder to store. I am with mrsmelly, even gave him a greenie

Sorry, I wouldn't recommend any, that's another gas cylinder to store. I am with mrsmelly, even gave him a greenie

Why not just use one of the ones on the boat already?

Why not just use the cooker on the boat?

Charcoal or open fire is the only way...well for real men that is :ninja:

I agree (see my earlier post) - but I can't see why using a gas one entails carrying another cylinder...

Thanks for all the recommendations.

I tend to use an extra long gas hose and use the gas supply from the bottle in the gas locker, with the BBQ sited on the towpath.

I have gone for a Weber Q120 with stand. Expensive, but I suppose you get what you pay for. (I got it for £164.05p with discounts, Etc).

Which I believe, will last for years.

Why not just use the cooker on the boat?

Charcoal or open fire is the only way...well for real men that is :ninja:

Some days in the summer it is just too hot to cook indoors, therefore the towpath BBQ is a cooler option under shade.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

I tend to use an extra long gas hose and use the gas supply from the bottle in the gas locker, with the BBQ sited on the towpath.

I have gone for a Weber Q120 with stand. Expensive, but I suppose you get what you pay for. (I got it for £164.05p with discounts, Etc).

Which I believe, will last for years.

Some days in the summer it is just too hot to cook indoors, therefore the towpath BBQ is a cooler option under shade.

This one is brilliant. I've used mine on the boat, on shore, even at home under the extractor fan (-19 degrees celsius outside takes precedence over "only for outdoor use" labels):

This one is brilliant. I've used mine on the boat, on shore, even at home under the extractor fan (-19 degrees celsius outside takes precedence over "only for outdoor use" labels):

From the video, the general design with the small LPG canister inside looks remarkably like those small LPG gas hobs that the BSS people have issued warnings about the use of on boats. Even the control mechanism, (and presumably hence the seal to the canister ?), looks the same.

I think I'd steer clear of use in the boat!

BSS Docvument linky

Also knowing how quickly the hob version "eats" a canister of gas, I'd expect running a BBQ from these very low capacity canisters to not be cost effective if you use it much.

From the video, the general design with the small LPG canister inside looks remarkably like those small LPG gas hobs that the BSS people have issued warnings about the use of on boats. Even the control mechanism, (and presumably hence the seal to the canister ?), looks the same.

BSS Docvument linky

Also knowing how quickly the hob version "eats" a canister of gas, I'd expect running a BBQ from these very low capacity canisters to not be cost effective if you use it much.

That's interesting - the Weber gas BBQ I referred to above uses similar cylinders - however I noticed it can be used with 'normal' cylinders by way of a suitable adaptor, other wise I wouldn't have referred to it as I anticipated the cost of those little cylinders would be considerable compared to using a 'full size' LPG bottle.

I think all BBQ's are horrid stinking anti-social contrivances.Ok for Aboriginals in the Australian outback where they had no option but to cook over open fires.

The ridiculous thing about them is their use in the summer during heatwaves when every ones trying to keep cool.For the operator this chore is a grim task fraught with all sorts of perils all of the HOT variety as their complexion becomes greasier and greasier from the burning fat smoke exuding from burning animal parts,burn't fingers black with charcoal, their clothes spattered with hot animal fat.All for what,mounds of half cooked half burn't burgers,sausages,and under done limbs of chicken and pork now potentially contaminated with poisonous Salmonella.

After these ghastly meat eating orgies have taken place everyones complexion also takes on the grim shiny greasy hue of the cook with touches of green nausea beginning to show through,especially those who've been gorging downwind of the dreaded stinking BBQ contrivance.

Having said that i'm rather partial to a fresh BBQ'd sardine as long as someone else cooks it while i remain upwind.

Whats wrong with traditional picnics,a chequered table cloth spread on the grass with a Primus stove merrily boiling kettles and eggs,jam and cool salmon and cucumber sandwiches ect,also much more healthy.

In the winter or on say Guy Fawkes night they're not quite so nauseating as all the greasy acrid smoke tends to blend with all the other smoke around and so stifle it a bit.

Enjoy your summer folks. Ps i'm not a vegitarian. Bizzard. :rolleyes:

This has come up before Biz - but a BBQ is far more versatile than just using it to get the burgers to resemble the charcoal they are being cooked over.

A good one can be used for a whole variety of cooking methods.

This has come up before Biz - but a BBQ is far more versatile than just using it to get the burgers to resemble the charcoal they are being cooked over.

A good one can be used for a whole variety of cooking methods.

I know.

Quite a good one is to marinate sausages in a homemade Tandoori mixture overnight until they turn orange then fry them in a frying pan in oil over it.They are novel and seriously tasty.

Ooo! i nearly forgot that old BBQ'd favorite ''THE JACKET POTATO''done in amongst the red hot coals and end up resembling the coal as they rapidly take on the aspect of lumps of Taybrite but stubbornly remain raw internally.

BSS Docvument linky

According to the document the hob is dangerous if you turn the kettle holder upside down, use rusty gas cylinders, force the holding mechanism or store the gas cylinders in an unventilated area...I don't think any form of cooker can be considered safe if one has not got even a basic understanding of how to use it, the exception, maybe, being a Wallas diesel cooker that won't work anyway.

At least over here, the gas cylinders are cheaper to use than "normal" gas bottles ( I go through about 5-6 of them during a summer) and as far as the barbeque is concerned, there is no possibility of overheating of the gas bottle. The one thing it doesn't have is a flame watcher, so if the flame goes out, it will not shut off the gas automatically. Hence only safe to use outdoors (or under close supervision). I store the barbeque in a unventilated locker and the gas cylinders in another, ventilated, locker and always try to be at least nominally sober when I use it... :rolleyes:

http://search.boatsafetyscheme.com/media/133084/nr005%2010%20exploding%20gas%20canister%20puts%20two%20norfolk%20boaters%20in%20hospital%20%28bss%20web%20vesrion%29%20jul%2010%20final.pdf

When someone gets hurt when changing gas cylinders in a cockpit whilst burning candles and smoking cigarrettes it is sad, but issuing a warning against portable gas stoves because of that is plain ridiculous.

Edited by Nautihamstern