Winding a 70 footer in Oxford

PEAGREEN

Featured Posts

Hi everyone!

We are thinking about a trip from Audlem down to Oxford. I have seen posts reccommending going down through Isis lock, winding and then back up the lock, but is there anywhere to wind on the canal between the Isis lock junction and the EON at Hythe Bridge?

Regards Keith

Hi everyone!

We are thinking about a trip from Audlem down to Oxford. I have seen posts reccommending going down through Isis lock, winding and then back up the lock, but is there anywhere to wind on the canal between the Isis lock junction and the EON at Hythe Bridge?

Regards Keith

No.

Hi everyone!

Regards Keith

Not for a 70 footer.

Hi everyone!

Regards Keith

Hi,

The last place you can wind longer than 50 ft is Wolvercote junction where the Dukes cut joins. The stretch from Isis lock to EON is only a couple of hundred yards and there is rarely a spare 70 ft mooring. Winding below Isis lock is quite easy and because you turn immediately below the lock you simply exit the lock, wind and go straight back up and can moor above the lock. I did the trip over Christmas and found it easy as a newbie.

Hi everyone!

Regards Keith

Thanks for the swift replies folks! Down the Isis lock it is then!

Regards,

Keith

It's fun turning a 70'er since BW put that stupid landing stage at the tail of the lock!

..... and that's presuming that there's no water coming down the medley back stream or sheepwash channel

And the wind isn't blowing

Or your prop isn't about to fall off

Richard

Well hello Owen, I was beginning to think that you'd sunk.

Nope just emerged from the purdah imposed by the run up to 31st January and the months catching up on neglected tasks I thereofre face in February.

Not to turn below the lock.

Technically you do as there's no dispensation, but I can't see the lockie or enforcement staff making the trek from Osney Lock just to catch the occasional NB.

However the Thames is broke - like the canals - and needs every penny....

Technically you do as there's no dispensation, but I can't see the lockie or enforcement staff making the trek from Osney Lock just to catch the occasional NB.

However the Thames is broke - like the canals - and needs every penny....

I understand you are OK to turn. There is a clear BW sign above the lock telling you how to turn and both BW and EA have an interest in it. The wondrous pontoon below the lock was installed by BW.

Clicky