Lesson learned and lucky!

Nemysys

Featured Posts

This being the first winter with a narrowboat we decided we wouldn't winterise the boat so we could continue to use it for the occasional day out.

I read some items about winterising and decided that as we live only 20 minutes from the boat I would go there regularly and run the engine for an hour or so, turn the heating on etc.

Then we had a really cold spell and I decided to turn the main water taps from the tank off. This proved to be a good move!

I returned to the boat at the weekend, everything looked alright so turned the water and electric back on. Wasn't getting much water pressure out of the kitchen tap, then hear running water in the bathroom.

One of the pipes to the shower mixer had blown off, water was spewing into the shower tray. I fixed this, and turned the water and electric back on.

I could still hear water running from the bathroom, investigated and The other copper pipe to the shower had split and was spewing water as well. Again thankfully into the shower tray.

I have now replaced both pipes with plastic, fitted isolating valves etc.

After being very lucky all water went into the shower tray, I think I will drain the tanks next year!

Lesson learned!

I think showers are notorious. I've removed the tube and shower head. When I leave the boat I turn the water off at the tank, run all the taps for a few seconds with the pump powered, turn the pump off, open all the taps, and blow up the sink mixer to empty the pipes as much as possible. So far, this has worked fine, even when the canal has been an inch thick with ice.

Last year we managed to get through that extremely cold and long spell without any mishap, by doing exactly what Richard10002 suggests. This year, though not quite as cold, but still below freezing some nights, we arrived last week to find the system frozen. The difference? For once we followed the instructions and drained the Morco water heater. We reckon this allowed the water in the boiler to drain back into the system where it formed a frozen plug at the lowest point in the system, which happens to be in an inaccessible place behind and underneath the shower. Took us c. three hours to thaw the system with the outside temperature hovering either side of zero degrees.

I do not worry if overnight temperatures are above -4C so long as daytime temperatures are above freezing.

If you leave the pressure pump on, at 1.5 to 3 bar, the freezing point will be higher.

Frozen pipes are not a problem - it is when they defrost that they dump water.

Plastic pipes are much more frost-resistant but the fittings may still separate in extreme conditions.

Pleased that you got-away-with-it this time,

Alan

Hello all

Our NB is only 12miles away from where we live,and i get up there at least twice a week,all i do is turn of the water pump,

drain my water heater, and leave taps open including the shower,not had any problems,oh and turn of the gate valve off for my raw water

intake,due to a post by Philys who said boats had sunk because their water filters [mud box] had frozen and cracked,Cheers Philys :cheers: Arge.

Cheers Arge :cheers:

We dont winterise our boat we just leave it heated. We had an issue with a burst domestic water pump last winter when the thermostatic switch we used in the engine bay froze in the off position. Luckily damage was restricted to the fresh water pump only as we have several thousand pounds worth of raw water coolers that were also unprotected.

This year we have binned the thermostatic switches and leave the heaters on 24/7. It might seem a bit wasteful in temperatures we have right now but if it saves us several thousands of pounds worth of insurance claims it is worth it to us. We have not had any problems with frozen plumbing or the lke so far this winter and the boat has always been toasty warm when we arrive on Friday evening thanks to the Webasto and the heaters. :cheers:

Ahhhhhhh that is probably why I have had a leaky shower (now fixed) I opened all the taps but again forgot to drain the shower head. My neighbour has also had the same problem with his so yes another lesson learnt over the cold spell.

However seems like this week weather is warming up, may get my bikini out ! :lol::sick:

I have to admit I took the precaution of taking Juno's instant water heater off and bringing it home for the winter, after it burst several internal pipes last year.

edited to add, I do realise this isn't so easy if you have an Aldi!

Edited by magpie patrick