Wakefield to Barking Creek

wrigglefingers

Featured Posts

Ahem perhaps Wren hasn't seen this one, same sort of price

http://www.alanpease...k/boats/a39.htm

I think it's got limited headroom but I can check with the broker. The superstructure does need significant work, as far as I understand, which would take it well beyond the budget unless they're willing to take a swingeing offer - which I knew was possible with the other keel.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Carl -- just wanted to let you know that I have at last gotten hold of your friend (who was asking me for your mobile number, BTW) and will see the Victory this Sunday. Thank you very much for the lead!

(Although he suggested I bring an ultrasonic tester, I have been unable to find one to borrow...would a mallet and a stethoscope be helpful?)

Hi, Carl -- just wanted to let you know that I have at last gotten hold of your friend (who was asking me for your mobile number, BTW) and will see the Victory this Sunday. Thank you very much for the lead!

(Although he suggested I bring an ultrasonic tester, I have been unable to find one to borrow...would a mallet and a stethoscope be helpful?)

I'm sure he'll have a hammer you can borrow.

I'll pm you my mobile number to pass on, if you don't mind.

Hi Wren

I have one if you could arrange to pick it up you are welcome to borrow it. At Nottingham at present. :cheers:

I'm sure he'll have a hammer you can borrow.

I'll pm you my mobile number to pass on, if you don't mind.

Not a problem, but can I receive PMs yet?

Gosh, thank you for the offer! I don't think I can get to Nottingham before then as my boss has suggested that I'm putting a little too much flex in my flex time...of course from living on a barge that is being sold, I am aware that all serious buyers look at barges more than once, so maybe next time. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, update time ...

We went off to see Victory at the weekend and, for a moment, I felt like being unfaithful to Cobbett. I have just overcome the the feeling, plus, she won't fit on my mooring.

Wren has found this on her mooring which is another possibility Seven Bells and here. I've seen the last survey which is from 1997 with it's recommendations which apparently have been done (the tjalk was holed in the survey process so there wasn't much choice) but there's been little work done on her for a while as she's been used as a rental property.

Any thoughts?

I am going to peer at her on Sunday late afternoon so if anyone can spare some time and have a poke about, Wren would be very pleased. Her need for a boat is becoming quite acute now as Vertrouwen is going for survey imminently - well, as soon as there's enough water to float her up to the dock ...

Wren also has photographs of Victory if anyone is interested.

ETA the owner has indicated that he'll take a 'substantial' offer

Edited by wrigglefingers

There is a nice route down the M1 and round the M25 to the North Circular with crane at each end -cost a fortune though. Several heavy haulage firms would quote inc all the permissions en route. Realistically it's just a 60T machine tha needs moving!

The alternative route is by water to the Trent and Humber, round lincolnshire and East Anglia to the Thames.

Without a coastal skipper with insurance and satisfactory survey, and full SOLAS for all on board I'd look carefully at the dry option.

Unless there is a recent survey and proof that the batteries and engine are totaly reliable and the fuel tanks are thoruoghly clean and full then the sea journey is a risk that the insurers may not take. Even less so in the spring when one decent North Sea wind could make the voyage most unpleasant.

Even the cost of nav lights navigation equipment and charts and VHF marine band wireless - which are unlikely to be of ongoing use - need to be factored into the costs.

At a cruise consumption of one mile per gallon you are going to use 300 gallons to do the journey - without any safety factor- this will cost £1500 if red is OK or up to £2500 if derv is to be used.

Plan carefully!

I meant to say that the 1997 survey indicated that she was higged by 56mm - should Wren be concerned by this? I thought not, the survey noted that it was unfeasible to remove the hog in any case.

I am more concerned by the lack of maintenance and that no new survey has been completed since 1997 according to the vendor - how did he get insurance?

Just an idea! why not get the vessel down to the Humber, and hire a small sea-going tug and tow the vessel down to the Thames, that way engine reliability would'nt be an issue and probably most of the regs would'nt apply. After all there are plenty of barge's being towed around the UK coast everyday of the week. its got to be a lot cheaper than taking it by road and all the hassel that would entail.

Rgds BS

Just an idea! why not get the vessel down to the Humber, and hire a small sea-going tug and tow the vessel down to the Thames, that way engine reliability would'nt be an issue and probably most of the regs would'nt apply. After all there are plenty of barge's being towed around the UK coast everyday of the week. its got to be a lot cheaper than taking it by road and all the hassel that would entail.

Rgds BS

It's a good thought BS, thank you and I shall bear it in mind if Seven Bells isn't a floater.

Rgds BS

That's what we did, worked for us at the time. Thanks for mentioning the blog PB, we bought one and ended up gutting it. Starting with a Sheffield sized keel that's been partly done is no bad idea. Alan Pease was good to deal with.

Simon - Misterton

That's what we did, worked for us at the time. Thanks for mentioning the blog PB, we bought one and ended up gutting it. Starting with a Sheffield sized keel that's been partly done is no bad idea. Alan Pease was good to deal with.

Simon - Misterton

I would agree Simon, if it was for myself (and the blog was really good btw). It's where I'd start but it's not my decision and I am conscious that a place to live is needed soonish - well, something that's habitable before winter sets in with limited funds and skills at disposal.

I meant to say that the 1997 survey indicated that she was higged by 56mm - should Wren be concerned by this? I thought not, the survey noted that it was unfeasible to remove the hog in any case.

I am more concerned by the lack of maintenance and that no new survey has been completed since 1997 according to the vendor - how did he get insurance?

Cough. I quote: "Insurance isn't required for Barking." I think that my insistence on a survey will scupper this...

Simon - Misterton

Your blog is an inspiration (a slightly terrifying one, mind). My partner and I would, by the way, love to see Misterton.

Edited by wren

This seems a likely case of 'act in haste and repent at your leisure'. For goodness sake Jill give Wren a good talking to as she looks likely to be jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Good luck to you both, you both certainly need it.

To provide an update -- you can all stop flooding Jill with messages about me -- much common sense has been directed at me and I am rethinking my options (still very keen to see Misterton). However, I still need to find somewhere to live and I'd like it to be afloat if at all possible.

The forums have been very helpful and friendly, and I thank you!

Without exciting you all too much, are there any narrowboat owners in London who might like to show me their boats (there's only one at barking and I don't think it's a live-aboard) so's I can add that to the possibilities? Jill has invited me round to the Corbett but it will take a while to synchronize schedules.

To provide an update -- you can all stop flooding Jill with messages about me -- much common sense has been directed at me and I am rethinking my options (still very keen to see Misterton). However, I still need to find somewhere to live and I'd like it to be afloat if at all possible.

The forums have been very helpful and friendly, and I thank you!

Without exciting you all too much, are there any narrowboat owners in London who might like to show me their boats (there's only one at barking and I don't think it's a live-aboard) so's I can add that to the possibilities? Jill has invited me round to the Corbett but it will take a while to synchronize schedules.

'Tis true - I thought you took it well though. I'm plotting a weekend boating third weekend in April to introduce Wren to narrowboat boating. But the more boats you see, the better.