Crick Boat Show

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

Given that it's been known about the water shortage on the Leicester section for many months it's a shame that an alternative location could not be found, as they have now closed the through route maybe recomending or even restricting the number of visitors by boat should be the order of the day.

Take your own packed lunch! The catering is not for the budget-conscious.

We have been to Crick four or five times and always enjoyed it - my one caveat is that a majority of the boats on show tend to be (though I'm sure their builders would not agree) fairly interchangeable, 57 foot, modern engine, all mod cons, fit-out in several exotic hardwoods, granite-topped dishwasher, blah blah. But there are numerous suppliers of boat bits, craftspeople, brokers, artists etc. there too, and you'll have a chance to look at a brand-new version of a boat which might interest you second-hand, as Steve Hudson usually exhibits one with a traditional engine and a boatman's cabin.

The weather. The 2008 show closed a day early because of adverse weather, and I think the last day was pretty much rained off on one occasion since then.

Edited by Athy

Would I be right in thinking that Crick would be of very limited benefit to someone like me?

I am looking for a boat but it will be second hand, possibly historic but certainly with a vintage engine. I had seriously thought of going but the more I hear the less it would seem to be of help in my case? Especially considering costs, hotel etc.

Do private sellers take their boats to the event or is that frowned on?

Cheers,

I have to say i don't understand this attitude at all...

there are loads of suppliers and boat related 'crafts' so do you think your going to buy a trad boat and never ever going to need to buy something for it ? in my experience the crick show is a good way of finding suppliers who you may not need immediately but will be glad you kept that brochure or card when you need a new custom widget making... and unlike flea bay or t'internet you will have met the guy (probably the owner) and know a little of who your dealing with. there's often 'show specials' so there can be bargains to be had if you know what your looking for and what the 'going rate' is. I usually come a away having spent more than I intended with a car load of goodies for the boat...

As others have said go along at least once and make your own mind up

Yes there are some downsides some of the stalls are just there becuase theres a captive crowd and so they can hawk there wares and have nothing to do with boats (but do keep my other half happy so serve a useful purpose) We always take a packed lunch but I don't think the food stalls are exorbitant for this type of thing (try going to shows at the NEC or similiar commercial venues) and in th last few years theres been more for kids to do.

give it ago and ignore the nay sayers and gloom merchants and mkae your own mind up.

Indeed, Jonathan. We unexpectedly bought a Buckby can at one Crick Show, the artist (Jane Selkirk) personailised it for us by adding our boat name. We also bought an extremely effective cleaning product at one show - not for the boat, but it worked a treat on our Rayburn.

Edited by Athy

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say i don't understand this attitude at all...

there are loads of suppliers and boat related 'crafts' so do you think your going to buy a trad boat and never ever going to need to buy something for it ? in my experience the crick show is a good way of finding suppliers who you may not need immediately but will be glad you kept that brochure or card when you need a new custom widget making... and unlike flea bay or t'internet you will have met the guy (probably the owner) and know a little of who your dealing with. there's often 'show specials' so there can be bargains to be had if you know what your looking for and what the 'going rate' is. I usually come a away having spent more than I intended with a car load of goodies for the boat...

As others have said go along at least once and make your own mind up

Yes there are some downsides some of the stalls are just there becuase theres a captive crowd and so they can hawk there wares and have nothing to do with boats (but do keep my other half happy so serve a useful purpose) We always take a packed lunch but I don't think the food stalls are exorbitant for this type of thing (try going to shows at the NEC or similiar commercial venues) and in th last few years theres been more for kids to do.

give it ago and ignore the nay sayers and gloom merchants and mkae your own mind up.

That is the bit that worries me!!! :) And I haven't even got the boat yet!

Thank you to everyone for the good advice, I will be going, probably for 2 days.

That is the bit that worries me!!! :) And I haven't even got the boat yet!

Thank you to everyone for the good advice, I will be going, probably for 2 days.

Actually just got a reasonable deal at Hillmorton Manor, so it will be 3 days now! :)

We hope to be passing Crick on the 3rd June, heading south. Will the canal be gridlocked and therefore time-consuming to navigate? Is the whole area best avoided by passing boats?

When we have been to Crick I noticed when the actual show is running (which it will be on the day in question) movements on the canal seemed minimal. I recall being disappointed when I went to our first show that I didn't see more boats actually moving on the cut itself.

The moorings outside the show itself are with boats breasted up but not to the inconvenience of other boaters, there is also a trip boat that offers free rides which id popular but apart from that on that particular day I can't see you would have a problem.