Main gas line

Ianey

Featured Posts

I thought I'd just ask the question as I'm not sure on the regulations for this one....

I'd like to put LED lighting under each gunwale but I'm not sure if I can fasten 240v LED lighting and speaker wire alongside the main gas line? Would anyone be able to provide some insight if I should or shouldn't??

Thanks

Ianey

I thought I'd just ask the question as I'm not sure on the regulations for this one....

I'd like to put LED lighting under each gunwale but I'm not sure if I can fasten 240v LED lighting and speaker wire alongside the main gas line? Would anyone be able to provide some insight if I should or shouldn't??

Thanks

Ianey

I'm not sure what distance of separation between the gas pipe and electrickery cabling the regulations state, but I would allow at least 25mm, and have the wiring in trunking

ISO 10239:

6.5.2 LPG supply lines and components shall be routed at least 30 mm away from electrical conductors, unless

the LPG supply line passes through a jointless conduit, or the conductors are sheathed or in conduit or trunking in

accordance with ISO 10133 and ISO 13297.

ISO 10239:

6.5.2 LPG supply lines and components shall be routed at least 30 mm away from electrical conductors, unless

the LPG supply line passes through a jointless conduit, or the conductors are sheathed or in conduit or trunking in

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that... But I'm still not sure on speaker cable as I dont think it carries a voltage as such???

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that... But I'm still not sure on speaker cable as I dont think it carries a voltage as such???

thay honestly do and also if your useing an amp more than about 10 wats theres enuf charge to spark with a bad conecton or brake in the cable. boat, vibration, cable = high risc to cable as far as i have lernd so far.

my home hifi is all of 50wpc @8 hm and i made a mistake when i fited some plugs and got a burn cable and some nice smells. id be cerful not cos of the bss but more cos your boat and life are worth it.

im so sorry if that sounds patranising i honestly dont want it to just thawt it may help.

Thanks all for your replies as I've learned something which is why I asked here first.... So NO to LED lighting and I'll run speaker cable through some flexible trunking and fix it as far away from the pipe as possible....

Thanks again

Ianey

What is the problem of having an electrical cable next to a gas line exactly?

Edit: Just seen this in the BSS Essential Guide

"There is a risk of sparks from damaged cables igniting fuels carried in adjacent fuel and gas pipes."

How would a spark ignite gas inside a pipe?

Edited by blackrose

ISO 10239:

I can understand that for 'single core cable' but when using standard 3-core cable it has both - an insulation (on each core) and an overall sheath.

Would that mean that a (standard 3-core)sheathed cable would not have to be spaced from the gas-line ?

What is the problem of having an electrical cable next to a gas line exactly?

The correct answer is there is no problem. It's a desk jockey dealing with an imaginary risk.

Edit: Just seen this in the BSS Essential Guide

"There is a risk of sparks from damaged cables igniting fuels carried in adjacent fuel and gas pipes."

How would a spark ignite gas inside a pipe?

I'd be fascinated to see the statistics for incidents attributable to cables 29mm away from a gas pipe when 31 mm would have avoided the accident.

No I wouldn't actually. I'mm 100% confident they don't exist.

I can understand that for 'single core cable' but when using standard 3-core cable it has both - an insulation (on each core) and an overall sheath.

Would that mean that a (standard 3-core)sheathed cable would not have to be spaced from the gas-line ?

Double shielded cable as you describe is accpetable by BSS. However I still would not like to see it attached to the gas line for support.

I'm sure the thinking of the safety requirements is along the lines of:

The copper gas line is connected unintentionally but not unlikely to boat ground/battery negative.

It chafes & develops a leak

An attached DC positive cable also chafes through & shorts to copper gas pipe or boat hull causing spark before fuse blows

BANG!

EXTREMELY unlikely I know :rolleyes:

• Greenie 1

I'm sure the thinking of the safety requirements is along the lines of:

The copper gas line is connected unintentionally but not unlikely to boat ground/battery negative.

It chafes & develops a leak

An attached DC positive cable also chafes through & shorts to copper gas pipe or boat hull causing spark before fuse blows

BANG!

EXTREMELY unlikely I know :rolleyes:

Not so unlikely where a boat I inspected had a twin wire 12V cable (You know, the red and black stuff) actually supported by wrapping it around a gas isolation tap. This sort of thing is not uncommon where a portable electrical appliances on a long lead is plugged into a socket and the trailing cable tidied up out of the way. Never been a failure point because it immediately gets removed. But, with the BSS on line reporting I would now file it as a failure, and providing everything else passed, and the failure point rectified, it would then make a second entry as a pass, (This ensures that the BSS office gets information on all non-compliances we are finding. Can't file a pass then add a list of failure points!)

Edited to add: Actually as an afterthought, providing that was the only failure point I would probably advised him of the dangers, and kindly ask him to remove it before I see it!

Edited by Radiomariner