lister sr4

micky44

Featured Posts

_autoimage.jpg

hi i am about to look at this boat, it is a 43 ft tug stlye, but im not conviced about the engine , any thoughts please, it was an industrial engine, i hope this link works!!

This is the fixed version!

(Except Luctor has beaten me to it!)

Edited by alan_fincher

thank you luctor, oh and you sherlock !! i am a little concerned about the cooling, there are two side doors , but no cooling ducting, is it going to get too hot ?

Unlikely, my SR3 is running without the cooling pipes, and usually with the side hatches closed (in the winter). Unless you run her at some speed (which you won,t on a canal...).

thank you luctor, oh and you sherlock !! i am a little concerned about the cooling, there are two side doors , but no cooling ducting, is it going to get too hot ?

Depends how hard you work it!

What's the gearbox? Looks vaguely familiar, but I can't place it.

Tim

I've already been discussing this boat with the OP, when the engine was described not as an SR4, but an "S4M".

We've moved forward, because it has now been identifed as an SR4, but these were my thoughts on the installation back then.....

It doesn't look like a Lister Marine engine to me. If you turn up pictures of something like an SR3 or HA3 marine engine, they have a large fan at the front end, which circulates the cooling air around the engine, before it gets blown out at the side or top through ducting. Ideally trunking is then used to take the hot air to "outside" of the engine space.

On a marine engine the marine gearbox, I would say, is usually a fixture on the other end, and the whole lot is mounted as a single unit - one bit is bolted directly to the other.

This "motor" smacks to me of not being a marine engine, simply some kind of "industrial" plant engine, not particularly adapted to marine use. It seems to suck it's air in instead at the rear end. The gearbox appears to be a separate unit from the engine, each separately mounted to the engine bed.

I can't work out what happens to the engine cooling air, buy, as I say, I'm no expert. Certainly doesn't seem to get ducted away to outside ?

Hi,My experience of these engines in their industrial form were installed in Listers own production of agricultural corn drier units,they ran an approx three foot multi blade fan fixed to trunking running under grain stores at quite high revs day and night for as long as it took to dry the grain.

In my opinion,this engine should last forever in a narrowboat!!. The only achilles heel that I witnessed on the drier units were cracking of fuel lines contaminating the grain if not spotted quickly! If my memory serves me right they were approx 40 horse power.

Hi,My experience of these engines in their industrial form were installed in Listers own production of agricultural corn drier units,they ran an approx three foot multi blade fan fixed to trunking running under grain stores at quite high revs day and night for as long as it took to dry the grain.

In my opinion,this engine should last forever in a narrowboat!!. The only achilles heel that I witnessed on the drier units were cracking of fuel lines contaminating the grain if not spotted quickly! If my memory serves me right they were approx 40 horse power.

you are 99% correct !38bhp, and yes it has come off an agricultural drier, well done that man.there is not a lot of info on them as lister never made a huge amount of them. thank you very much for your input :cheers:

Depends how hard you work it!

What's the gearbox? Looks vaguely familiar, but I can't place it.

Tim

The top is reminiscent of the Bolinder box on the back of a Bolinder 105x, although they usually had a flywheel housing.

N