Water Pump Problem

lewisericeric

Featured Posts

Hi guys

Been having a small (annoying) problem with my water pump for the last few weeks. Basically, it started with the hot tap in the kitchen. Whenever I put the tap on hot (its a mixer tap) the pump kept cutting out and then restarting again. This then spread to doing the same on the bathroom tap. It doesn't do it on the bath.....

It's not as bad on the bathroom tap as the kitchen tap. Sometimes, it goes on and off but other times, it "chugs" and sounds like an old steam train where them pump is coming on and off! Its not creating too many problems but is bloody annoying.

The filter before the pump isn't clogged or anything but I'm not sure what else could be causing it?????

Moving the mixers from cold and back to hot can stop the problem, but like i say, its just annoying having to do this!

Cheers boys and girls

Hi guys

Been having a small (annoying) problem with my water pump for the last few weeks. Basically, it started with the hot tap in the kitchen. Whenever I put the tap on hot (its a mixer tap) the pump kept cutting out and then restarting again. This then spread to doing the same on the bathroom tap. It doesn't do it on the bath.....

It's not as bad on the bathroom tap as the kitchen tap. Sometimes, it goes on and off but other times, it "chugs" and sounds like an old steam train where them pump is coming on and off! Its not creating too many problems but is bloody annoying.

The filter before the pump isn't clogged or anything but I'm not sure what else could be causing it?????

Moving the mixers from cold and back to hot can stop the problem, but like i say, its just annoying having to do this!

Cheers boys and girls

do you have an accumulator fitted, and is it after the water pump in the piping???

We have an accumulator fitted yes, after the pump. However could it be anything to do with this seeing as the accumulator has always been there but the problem has only been going for 2 weeks or so???

Also, where would the limescale be? Inside the pipes? As like I say, its not happening on the bath tap?

Cheers

We have an accumulator fitted yes, after the pump. However could it be anything to do with this seeing as the accumulator has always been there but the problem has only been going for 2 weeks or so???

Also, where would the limescale be? Inside the pipes? As like I say, its not happening on the bath tap?

Cheers

Yes it is most likely the accumulator - it will have lost air pressure from a leak or whatever. Turn off the pump, open a cold tap, when water stops coming out check the pressure using a car tyre-type pressure gauge on the valve on the top of the accumulator, which is sometimes hidden under a cover. The pressure is not that critical but probably around 15 psi / 1 bar is correct. If low, pump up with a foot pump.

If there is definitely no valve, the accumulator will be of the type which is just an air pocket without a diaphragm. These can eventually fill up with water (air dissolves) and might need to be removed from the system and have all the water shaken out.

Bath tap perhaps allows sufficient flow rate so that the pump cannot reach cut-out pressure. Try shutting the tap down a bit to see if the pump starts cycling.

Edited by nicknorman

Your water pump should cut out and cut in, reacting to a pressure switch on the water pump. The accumulator keeps the system under pressure, running water off lowers the pressure in the system. As the pressure reaches the low setting, on comes the water pump. When it reaches the higher pressure the water pump switches off. If your water pump is on, in an almost continuous way, then the pressure in your accumulator has dropped and needs pumping up, usually with a bicycle pump on the valve that is found on the accumulator body.

Accumulators do wear out though.

Pipped by Nicknorman.

Edited by Higgs

Yes it could be that the diaphragm has a hole in it

Or a leak from the schrader valve or even a change in ambient temperature affecting air pressure.

Mine always seemed to need pumping up every year or so to correct the exact symptoms the OP has.

Or a leak from the schrader valve or even a change in ambient temperature affecting air pressure.

Mine always seemed to need pumping up every year or so to correct the exact symptoms the OP has.

which is why I asked about the acumulator, thanks folks for answering the problem. Love this forum. :rolleyes: