Where Are you Going In 2012

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

East. As far as I can get. Then I can tick another box on the NSE and W of the system (Godalming and Llangollen so far), back to Gods Own County for winter, then the Northernmost place, wherever that may be,in 2013.

Then sell the boat, and get a job.

Edited because the brain wasn't working for a minute.

Edited by Dog

Next year - not sure. What's the Wigan flight like for a single hander?

Never done it single handed just 'two up' going up - and luckily with another boat.

I would say at least ensure you are with another boat - ruddy hard work I would imagine on your own....

East. As far as I can get. Then I can tick another box on the NSE and W of the system (Godalming and Lechlade so far), back to Gods Own County for winter, then the Northernmost place, wherever that may be,in 2013.

Then sell the boat, and get a job.

On the main UK connected and navigable system that will either Ripon or Tewitfield on the Lancaster.

I'm not 100% sure which one holds the title - Ripon definitely has the most northerly lock on the main system but Tewitfield I think just has the edge on the most northerly spot.

"On the main UK connected and navigable system that will either Ripon or Tewitfield on the Lancaster.

I'm not 100% sure which one holds the title - Ripon definitely has the most northerly lock on the main system but Tewitfield I think just has the edge on the most northerly spot."

So, without looking at a map, which one should I go for?

Never done it single handed just 'two up' going up - and luckily with another boat.

On the main UK connected and navigable system that will either Ripon or Tewitfield on the Lancaster.

I'm not 100% sure which one holds the title - Ripon definitely has the most northerly lock on the main system but Tewitfield I think just has the edge on the most northerly spot.

I reckon it is the Caledonian Canal myself.

Edited by cotswoldsman

Does anyone actually know the answer? I'd hate to tell people that I've travelled the length and breadth of the land, if I haven't.

from wikipedia -

Defo. Tewitfield....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripon_Canal

Ripon was said to be the most northerly point of the connected British canal system, a claim which has been affected by the opening of the Ribble Link in 2002. The Lancaster Canal is now considered to be part of the connected canal system, and Tewitfield, at its northern end, now qualifies for this accolade.[5]

Edited by MJG

Dont think you are allowed to do it single handed, something to do with needing a full time crew member to man the machine gun. ;)

That's simply not true in my experience - we do the Wigan flight at least once each year, and have never seen any trouble. Yes, its hard work, but the towpath is tidy and the locals friendly. Enjoy a good days work and the end of the day either at the top (we moor opposite Haigh Hall) or bottom (Dover Lock mooring).

That's simply not true in my experience - we do the Wigan flight at least once each year, and have never seen any trouble. Yes, its hard work, but the towpath is tidy and the locals friendly. Enjoy a good days work and the end of the day either at the top (we moor opposite Haigh Hall) or bottom (Dover Lock mooring).

Ahh good, the reason you have no problems now is that we must have shot the last lot of hooligans :D

Dont think you are allowed to do it single handed, something to do with needing a full time crew member to man the machine gun. ;)

Biggest threat is those bloody stupid metal spikes that hang down from the balance beam on some of the gates - yes they keep the gate in position but present a serious foot impaling hazard in the process....

Did the Avon ring clockwise this year, brilliant. Planned to do Droitwich but had to cancel (bereavement). So in 2012 it will be another attempt at Droitwich and, for a longer trip, somewhere like Chester. Or maybe a Birmingham ring.

Oh, not forgetting a fast trip up to stoke Prior in March, when our boat will be stretched by 10'!

Biggest threat is those bloody stupid metal spikes that hang down from the balance beam on some of the gates - yes they keep the gate in position but present a serious foot impaling hazard in the process....

Oi Martin, nip up the calder and hebble theres a couple of them oop there..........

I know it's not going to happen, but it would be fantastic to have a link to Scotland...

I was sent this the other day - the link to scotland.

http://www.davislangdon.com/EME/Research/ResearchFinder/PositionPapers/The-business-case-for-building-a-canal-from-Scotland-to-the-south-of-England/

maggie

I think we hope to make an early start by being on one of the boats for New Years Eve, and hopefully taking a trip out for New Years day at least.

If its Chalice and you turn left look out for me!

2012 is still looking a bit up in the air for us. Our work winter and cruise summer plan is becoming financially non-viable, so the tentative plan at the moment is for me to work all next year. This will pay for some well overdue maintenance stuff like boat painting, blacking and overhaul of the electrics. Working in Nottingham does mean we have an extensive cruising range - with Dave on the boat full time he can move it while I'm at work so we envisage cc'ing again from early May. In the meantime we'll have little jaunts out to explore our immediate area - a trip up the Erewash doesn't take me too far from work.

The north east beckons, with a visit to the Smudge/Purple Faerie abode perhaps? Plus we only touched on the BCN this year, Birmingham to Nottingham is very commutable. We don't intend me working to curtail our cruising.

I think 2012 is going to add a new and interesting dimension to our boating experience :)

Well! after having had my boat for nearly a year and getting her all sorted out before I go and live on her in the summer, ( after many moons of not living on a boat, well erm .. more like 19yrs), I will be getting my boat-legs and tiller arm back lol ;), then I will be completing an engine maintenance course and then whay hay!! I will be going where ever I please.

I have placed 'L' Plates on the front and back of 'treespirit', so if you see me ambling by, gives me a wave and say hello :)

Dunno yet... I too am waiting on news re work before I'll know where I'm setting out from... I do like the idea of tootling around the Stort but on the other hand I'm wondering whether there's space on Beeston Marina (ahem)...

Dunno yet... I too am waiting on news re work before I'll know where I'm setting out from... I do like the idea of tootling around the Stort but on the other hand I'm wondering whether there's space on Beeston Marina (ahem)...

I've just phoned Dave and asked him to enquire :)

(sorry slipped my mind!)