Lock operation instructions

Sir Nibble

Featured Posts

...and that 40 minutes gives me ample time to explain lock workings, boat safety, canal etiquette etc. when I conduct a handover.

As for signs? Yes, there is a lovely one at Greenberfield which explains how locks work, but reading a sign is one thing...actually putting it into practice is another...there simply is no substitute for actually doing it. It's all very well in theory, but in practice locks are scary and dangerous places and new hirers/new boaters need to know about the potential dangers and the things to do and the things to avoid. I don't think they'd get that from a sign at the locks...it's impossible to quantify all the risks.

We are very lucky in that we have three locks within a shortish cruise...all are a bit quirky, but that's the L&L for you...

When I do a handover, I cruise with our guests to the locks, then stay with them to give instruction for the first one, just to make sure they know what they're doing, and that they are aware of all the safety aspects. If I'm not sure that they're competent and happy working locks, then I'll stick with them for the next one and if I'm still not sure, then I'll accompany them through the third one...they've usually got the idea by then.

Janet

Hello Janet, beer beer beer beer beer :cheers:

This sounds like an exemplary handover and it probably leaves most of your hirers nicely confident and sufficiently competant. Well done all round. But that's not always the case is it. Regardless of that, I will not allow myself to knock hirers. I actually really like hirers and have helped loads of them through their first lock, which is perhaps the point.

As a good example I shall take Bradford on Avon town lock on the K&A. Not everyone will be familiar with this lock of course but we have discussed it before and google is your friend.

This lock is one of the nice quaint things in a nice quaint Wiltshire town and it's usually surrounded by day trippers. It's also the first lock encountered by the majority of hirers of two substantial fleets. Sopposing at the upper mouth of the lock there is a sign (nice painted casting) saying "Welcome to your walking tour of BoA town lock. To follow the progress on a boat locking down start at board 1 on the balance beam in front of you" Nice little line drawing of lock gate with balance beam indicated. Go to sign on and get "With the boat in the lock the gates should be closed. This makes a watertight (sic) seal excuding the water from the top pound (tha canal above the lock) from the lock chamber. At the same time the boat is secured in the lock chamber with ropes in such a way that the ropes can be progressively slackened as the boat descends. Continue your tour at board 2 by the top paddle gear to your left".

And so on. In this particular case there would be little point in using instructions for locking up. Maybe this should be done at Bath. But the gist of the thing is that the visitor actually understands what they are seeing. The questions you will be asked will be why your technique differs from the instructions and they will learn something new again. All in all the all important visitor would be happier and the signs COULD be sponsored as a revenue stream for either CaRT or the canal trust. The facility for novices to follow these signs around so that it may not even look as if they are taking instruction at all, is to a degree secondary. Although we all know that stoppages occur every year due to hireboats cilling, and we have all heard stories of locks with paddles open at both ends. In fact as a training strategy for adults written material supported by the visual resource of the lock itself and the hands on of folling the instructions ticks pretty well all the boxes bar supervision.

Don't think this idea is about knocking hirers. it's about making the visitor/taxpayer/voter happier afloat or on foot.

I agree but..

I don't think that was what was being proposed though.

edit to add the missing was

Maybe not, but I still think that there is too much signage on the cut without adding more, especially not really needed ones.

Maybe not, but I still think that there is too much signage on the cut without adding more, especially not really needed ones.

Agreed. I put this forward to canvass opinion as to whether it would fill a need, albeit a need that most of us have not personally experienced. None of us I should imagine, would consider the installation of any infrastructure from signs to railings or bollards if they serve no purpose.

the boat is secured in the lock chamber with ropes in such a way that the ropes can be progressively slackened as the boat descends.

Am I missing something? We have never needed to use ropes whilst going down a lock and it's not something that I'd recommend...too much scope for mistakes and accidents...

We also don't use ropes whist going up...good communication between steerer and lockwheeler means that the boat is always under control and ropes are simply superfluous...paddles are opened carefully with an eye on the boat....signals are agreed in advance for any potential problems....

Janet

Your call, I fail to see the numerous signs you seem to see though..

Consultant by any chance are we.... :P

Yeah, I is :P

Because there are too many signs about already. My favorites are the "Welcome to the Sanitary Station" types.... :wacko:

And in that you demonstrate the problem. What Snibs suggested was not signs but interpretation, that might be of equal interest, although not equal value, to a gongoozler. Now, I don't know what that looks like, but I'm pretty certain it isn't a big sign with a list of instructions on it. It could be all over the place in all manner of forms, a cartoon carved in the balance beam, an imprint on the floor, if you really want to be daft the paddle could squawk "put the bloody pawl on!!" as you approached it. That is unlikely but that's what I mean by needing to know what is intended.

Am I missing something? We have never needed to use ropes whilst going down a lock and it's not something that I'd recommend...too much scope for mistakes and accidents...

We also don't use ropes whist going up...good communication between steerer and lockwheeler means that the boat is always under control and ropes are simply superfluous...paddles are opened carefully with an eye on the boat....signals are agreed in advance for any potential problems....

Janet

This particular lock is a wide lock taking 2 x nb side by side. But when there is only one boat, it does throw you around quite signifcantly, especially if you have an inexperiened crew (sometimes of 1) on the paddles/gates. I have lost a fair bit of paint on that lock and got a few dents to prove it! Its one of the few locks where I have learned it is better to use ropes. Otherwise I agree with you.

Brian

Yeah, I is :P

And in that you demonstrate the problem. What Snibs suggested was not signs but interpretation, that might be of equal interest, although not equal value, to a gongoozler. Now, I don't know what that looks like, but I'm pretty certain it isn't a big sign with a list of instructions on it. It could be all over the place in all manner of forms, a cartoon carved in the balance beam, an imprint on the floor, if you really want to be daft the paddle could squawk "put the bloody pawl on!!" as you approached it. That is unlikely but that's what I mean by needing to know what is intended.

I would love to see an interpretation board beside the Stockton flight showing "how" the GU locks work with the water flow and culverts. I have once seen a drawing of them and found it very interesting.

...and that 40 minutes gives me ample time to explain lock workings, boat safety, canal etiquette etc. when I conduct a handover.

As for signs? Yes, there is a lovely one at Greenberfield which explains how locks work, but reading a sign is one thing...actually putting it into practice is another...there simply is no substitute for actually doing it. It's all very well in theory, but in practice locks are scary and dangerous places and new hirers/new boaters need to know about the potential dangers and the things to do and the things to avoid. I don't think they'd get that from a sign at the locks...it's impossible to quantify all the risks.

We are very lucky in that we have three locks within a shortish cruise...all are a bit quirky, but that's the L&L for you...

When I do a handover, I cruise with our guests to the locks, then stay with them to give instruction for the first one, just to make sure they know what they're doing, and that they are aware of all the safety aspects. If I'm not sure that they're competent and happy working locks, then I'll stick with them for the next one and if I'm still not sure, then I'll accompany them through the third one...they've usually got the idea by then.

Janet

So what happens when they want to sail the other way, more than 40 minutes then...

My first hiring was from Hilmorton. My first lock was at Napton, 5 1/2 hours away and the following day.... :closedeyes:

We were luckier, our first hire was from Snaygill at Skipton and we spent the first afternoon cruising to the the lock at Holme Bridge.

When we got up the next morning (A Sunday BTW) we just had to ring them and they met us and talked us through the lock.

A good service - but not sure if they still do this as it has changed hands since then.

We were luckier, our first hire was from Snaygill at Skipton and we spent the first afternoon cruising to the the lock at Holme Bridge.

When we got up the next morning (A Sunday BTW) we just had to ring them and they met us and talked us through the lock.

A good service - but not sure if they still do this as it has changed hands since then.

At the time it wasn't a problem as Napton had a supervisory presence in the form of Esme Dowling. I couldn't have had a better teacher, and use the advice he gave me to this day.

Why don't the hire companies produce a set of some small (A6) laminated photographs of the next lock (up and down stream) which describe the operating sequence using simple steps.

The initial photograph would only need to cover the scenario of whether the lock full or empty and then consecutive photographs would show which paddle to raise etc. The hirer would than have a reference to the actual lock they are at.

This would remove the need for information boards at the lock

Edited by PeteS

So what happens when they want to sail the other way, more than 40 minutes then...

It doesn't happen very often! Most hirers prefer to head east towards Skipton and the fabulous scenery. I haven't had one handover this year where they have wanted to cruise towards Burnley and Blackburn and RichardH can count on one hand the number of his visitors who have decided to go that way.

If they did though, then it wouldn't be a problem. We'd do the handover and safety instruction, then either stay with them for the trip to the locks at Barrowford or leave them to it after we were sure they were competent to steer/moor the boat and then meet them at the locks.

On the first day, depending on the time of year, it's possible that they won't reach the locks until late on, when the light is going. In that case, we'd meet them the following morning to do the lock tuition. I wouldn't sign a boat off until I was absolutely sure that the crew were competent and happy about working locks. It's possible to be more lenient with regular boaters/hirers who can demonstrate that they know what's involved, but it would be silly to leave novice boaters without being sure that they are both comfortable and competent. We want our hirers to get the best out of their holiday and return the boats in one piece!

Information boards are all well and good, but I've conducted handovers with hirers who have spent months poring over maps and reading instructions...we did the same ourselves on our first hire....we thought we were well prepared...we knew the theory, but when we were faced with our first real lock, we were more than grateful for the tuition and advice from the hire company!

Janet