Canal clean up heros

Josher

Featured Posts

Great effort - please note the appeal for someone to operate a small boat (at the end of the article) ...

Tuesday, 06 December 2011 Canal clean up heroes Champ News

01046881.jpg

A GROUP of volunteers are getting their hands dirty to make Bootle a better place for residents. The volunteers have been meeting fortnightly to clean up the section of the Leeds and Liverpool canal after one of their members felt ‘outraged’ the canal had become so polluted. Lorraine Clarke told the Champion, last winter she was walking along the canal and noticed in places where it had frozen over people had thrown rubbish into the canal. She said: “Everything you can name people had thrown in and I was just outraged. I contacted the council who directed me to British Waterways. I asked them what they were going to do about the state of the canal and eventually they coordinated someone to take care of the area and they called me and asked if I would like to get involved. I jumped at the chance to help out and I really enjoy it. We clean up stretches of the canal, where it runs through Litherland towards Bootle Strand. Every other Friday will see a group of us pulling debris from the canal and reed beds and I sincerely hope that passers-by on the towpath have noticed a difference. We regularly collect at least x20 bin bags of rubbish per session. Occasionally, through Sefton Community Voluntary Service, members of the public and private sector organise Volunteer Days and their help is invaluable in targeting major ‘grot spots’. The group get a real sense of achievement seeing the canal getting cleaner and seeing the wildlife looking happier in their environment. There is about four of us in the group but more do come and they are all great. Every session we walk along the canal and tackle grot spots or we work on particular places residents have complained about.“

Lorraine and the other volunteers are hoping other Bootle residents will be inspired by their work and help with the overhaul. She added: ”I would encourage anyone to come and get involved. People do seem to be quite interested when they are walking along the canal and see us in our yellow jackets they ask us what we are doing. A lot of people must walk along there and think to themselves ‘what a mess, but what can I do about it? I would encourage them to get in touch, we are there every other Friday it is an ongoing thing and it really is a worthwhile task.“

If anyone would like to get involved you can contact Hazel Mayow on 07920466237 or email hazel.mayow@thewaterwaystrust.co.uk. The group are also appealing for help from anyone who can operate a small boat as there is more debris on the opposite bank that the group can’t access and is where birds will be looking to nest in the Spring.

I can't believe I have actually sent an email, I never volunteer for anything. When I went down The Liverpool Link a couple of years ago I was struck by a couple of people who had said to me how pleased they were that the canal was at last being used. As I am booked to go down again on 4 April 2012 think it is the least I can do.........

[quote name='cotswoldsman' When I went down The Liverpool Link a couple of years ago I was struck by a couple of people

Yes, I heard that there were some aggressive types around those parts.

Seriously though, a tip of the hat to you, Mr. CM. Looking at the photo, about 90% of the floating debris appears to be drinks bottles. Is this Bootle or Boozle?

Edited by Athy

We also have our own one man crusader here on CWDF

Maffi

For as long as I've know the guy, he's been the champion of cleaning up whatever his local environment.

You may not agree with some of his views or ramblings but, when it comes to litter, he's our man.....

Maffi's blog link

Keep it up mate :cheers:

I phoned up this morning, I have a boatmaster licence but I'm not sure why they really need someone with one. Nevertheless it's something I definitely want to do, I grew up around this canal.

They said they're winding down over Christmas but will be getting back to work second week of January.

I phoned up this morning, I have a boatmaster licence but I'm not sure why they really need someone with one. Nevertheless it's something I definitely want to do, I grew up around this canal.

They said they're winding down over Christmas but will be getting back to work second week of January.

Not had a reply yet to me email

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also add there's quite a good group of volunteers doing a fair job of clearing the canal in the burnley area.

BW are supporting to the extent of making a work boat available for the volunteers, hopefully something we'll see the CaRT doing more of in the future...