Falkirk Wheel

troutrunner

Featured Posts

Great pics.

BTW does anybody know the function of the the grey 'tardis' like structure at the base in the last photo, it sure looks like an afterthought...

I guess that's where they open the gates and operate the traffic lights from, there is a similar box thing at the top.

;)

No, you have to do a post office like queue through the gift shop to get your ticket :rolleyes:

I guess that's where they open the gates and operate the traffic lights from, there is a similar box thing at the top.

It's probably just me - but you would think they would have sort of thought about that when they designed it and better incorporated them into the design.

They are good pics. though...

It did seem pretty high up :cheers:

We took a Black Prince hire boat down the way. On entering from above, at the end of the trough there is just a low wall (that is of course moveable) then a large drop! It certainly concentrates the mind to ensure the boat stops in good time rather than ramming the far end! Spectacular view going that way though!

It's probably just me - but you would think they would have sort of thought about that when they designed it and better incorporated them into the design.

They are good pics. though...

They are good pics. When the Wheel opened over 9 years ago, they obviously hadn't thought that the person operating the Wheel would be exposed to all the wind and rain and no shelter was provided. That is basically what these little hut things are. I seem to remember though that it was planned to operate the Wheel remotely from the control office (beside the Jublilee lock) but right from day one there has been a BW chap on the Wheel when boats are going up or down so that is perhaps a figment of my imagination.

Incidentally, we plan to celebrate ten years of the Wheel next May (25th to 27th) with a big boating event. Why not come and join us?

haggis

Edited by haggis

They are good pics. When the Wheel opened over 9 years ago, they obviously hadn't thought that the person operating the Wheel would be exposed to all the wind and rain and no shelter was provided. That is basically what these little hut things are. I seem to rememeber though that it was planned to opertae the Wheel remotely from the control office (beside the Jublilee lock) but right from day one there has been a BW chap on the Wheel when boats are going up or down so that is perhaps a figment of my imagination.

Incidentally, we plan to celebrate ten years of the Wheel next May (25th to 27th) with a big boating event. Why not come and join us?

haggis

Must have been designed by a man then.... :rolleyes:

I noticed yet another BW sign that will need to be replaced next year.

Martyn

Nope. British Waterways Scotland is retaining the name next year. None of your CARTs up here :-) There will be an amicable divorce between BW and BWS in April

haggis

Nope. British Waterways Scotland is retaining the name next year. None of your CARTs up here :-) There will be an amicable divorce between BW and BWS in April

haggis

Let em have it...after all it only has Nessy....that can't be worth much in tourist revenue... can it???? :cheers: