The Rochdale Canal- What is missing?

bizona100

Featured Posts

[quote name="Mac of Cygnet" post="1549776"

I think it's 9 boats per week each way through Standedge, BTW.

Why so few? I'm sure there were more when we went through about five years ago.

What does the Rochdale need? Well it depends on who the users is? If its a boater then more, better quality moorings are required. For example it is impossible to moor at the Boat & Horse at Broadway Chadderton, even though it is probably a good place to stop. The same is true for Grimshaw Lane, but at least you can use spikes there. There aree rings in failsworth, wther the locals are ready for boaters stopping over night I'm not sure.

There are an awful lot of old rumours about people having trouble traversing the Rochdale particularly the Manchester 18 coming up from the city centre. The current C&RT advice says that it may be possible to ask for volunteer assistance, ring and ask, but very few people actually do ask, these guys know what they are doing and a normal passage with them is about 3&1/2 hours which isn't bad going.

Several of the pit falls on the Manchester 18 have been fixed over the winter stoppage, in particular the level of the pound above lock 76 has been raised. This was notorious for catching the novice/inexperienced boater out.

As to hard work I would far rather work the Rochdale than the GU particularly Hatton , which is far heavier to operate, put the lock landings are some what easier at Hatton, as those on the Rochdale don't really exist. The presence of bollards doesn't mean there is any water to moor in. Bollards were installed as standard as part oif the reopenning, where as they well ran out of money for dredging.

The Rochdale is a broad canal well at least all the locks are however there is a narrow pinch point under Rodwell tower on the Mancchester nine. This should be removed with some priority to enable true broad beam boats to use the canal, which would be good. Because its broad single handing a narrow boat is hard work, much harder than on a narrow canal, first of all you have to walk twice as far. The same however applies to the GU so I'm not sure why that is seen as easier? I know thinking about it the GU has steps from the bottom gates. On the Rochdale historically the bottom gates had climbing steps, these were not fitted on any post 1974 restoration gates. so none now have them. So this make life very hard for the single hander. can't ask for steps English heritage would have nightmares, so maybe asking for gate steps again would not be amiss, although not sure how H&S would view these?

Rochdale its self is a tip and the council should be doing something to make the area a pleasant place to visit and stop, currently all boaters correctly rush through the place. The Arm into the town could do with being restored and safe moorings provided.

Caslteton could do with being made aware that the canal exists

The towpath is part of the national cycle trail Route 66 this could do with better signage about what is available locally at acces points, such as pubs and shops etc.

The towpath is heavy used by walkers from those taking their dog for a walk, to long distance walkers. There are no facilities in Manchester and the council have now removed most of there bins, to stop people complaining they were always full. Manchester council should get there act together here and make it a people pleasant place.

More boaters facilities are required, including pump-out and shower blocks. On the west side there are only those at Isslington basin. A proper block at Mills hill would be good and at Littleborough.

As to rubbish in the canal - see note about Manchester council and bins, however it would seem that the hull design of the boat has far more to do with what is picked up on the blade than the canal. Some boats are dreadful and seem to discover every object that has been thrown in, were as other boats slide past it all. Its also seems to have something to do with the rev it hard brigade, those that use rope or just tickover don't seem to have the same problems, in the main - back to hull design!

Something needs to be done about the total lack of free public toilets in Manchester city centre, as the canal towpath seems to have become a linear toilet for drunks. Maybe we should give in and build a few pissotière

Edited by Ian Mac

Yes,I think you are right,9 boats per week through Stanedge,in each direction.It used to be 12 when boats were pulled through with the tug.The problem is air pollution.We have a modern Japanese engine.The instruments the CaRt man used registered no pollution when we went through. I think Cart are being over cautious. Maybe they need to be a bit more flexible. No idea how you would deal with a trad engine,perhaps ask them to go through after boats with a modern engine?

Yes,I think you are right,9 boats per week through Stanedge,in each direction.It used to be 12 when boats were pulled through with the tug.The problem is air pollution.We have a modern Japanese engine.The instruments the CaRt man used registered no pollution when we went through. I think Cart are being over cautious. Maybe they need to be a bit more flexible. No idea how you would deal with a trad engine,perhaps ask them to go through after boats with a modern engine?

The air pollution is not particularly old boat engines, more likely old railway engines in the connected railway tunnels! The summer months have large steam locos through there with perhaps 13 coaches going uphill.Also, there are regularly 50+ year old class 20s and 37s which do not comply with modern emission requirements (grandfather rights). A boat engine, even a Bolinder , won't have those levels of pollution -15HP against 1500 or so.

boats are reversing down the Rochdale back into Manchester at the moment.

Lack of water.

100 locks up and down without water...sounds like fun eh.

How many boats?

Literally reversing?

Where were they trying to get to?

Tim

The secret to having an easy time on a Rochdale (or HNC passage) is to plan your route to go down the crap / shallow side, that way you are taking water with you. Last year we flew over the Rochdale (E to W). Early start from Rose of Lancaster, Castlefield mid afternoon, without a trip down the weedhatch, tickover all the way. The "settling pond" (moorings ha ha!!) below L65 is a classic for sunk "floaty" (bags / clothing / bedding!) crap, I did this mostly out of gear. The only problems we had were some idiots coming up the R9, who wanted all the pounds level, before they would exit a lock!

How many boats?

Literally reversing?

Where were they trying to get to?

Tim

They were trying to leave Manchester...CRT sent them back.....reversing using bow thruster.....a few boats trying to leave our marina, but cant. .....but since Manchester is at the bottom of the Rochdale...where has all the water gone? I'd understand no water at the top...as it all flows downhill...but if there none at the bottom....and you have 50 locks still to go to reach the summit....could be a problem....

They were trying to leave Manchester...CRT sent them back.....reversing using bow thruster.....a few boats trying to leave our marina, but cant. .....but since Manchester is at the bottom of the Rochdale...where has all the water gone? I'd understand no water at the top...as it all flows downhill...but if there none at the bottom....and you have 50 locks still to go to reach the summit....could be a problem....

Curious that there has been no stoppage notice.

There was a section deliberately drained below you last week, that might just possibly have some bearing on things?

I have a personal interest in what the water supply situation will be in a couple of weeks.

Tim

Curious that there has been no stoppage notice.

There was a section deliberately drained below you last week, that might just possibly have some bearing on things?

I have a personal interest in what the water supply situation will be in a couple of weeks.

Tim

They were told they could go up tomorrow.

Unless they meet a widebeam coming the other way, cause there isn't enough dredged for both to pass ;-)

Well that's just cheating!

Try taking your boat next time.tongue.png

OK, so I did cheat, rather a dream team of Martin Clark and Dave Kitching.

It would appear that perhaps this local craft can fly?

Roch2.jpg

Spotted near Failsworth Tesco's

Well, for example, do you think there is a need for a spot on it where one can stop his boat and get it maintained or grab a snack... that sort of thing... and I noticed the lack of water as well( I have got a picture but don't know how post it) it seems the council(or is it British waterways) doesn't do much. Is there enough traffic for any sort of viable use of the canal except as travel route. I am stressing more on the part of the canal that is in or near Manchester.

It would be interesting to know how much traffic it gets

The lack of depth and a number of other physical difficulties are a function of his restoration history and what happened during closure. As with the Huddersfield, the main intent by the restoration groups was to re-establish navigation, even if it was still quite difficult to do. When a canal is closed, the land starts to be re-used where possible and in some places on the Rochdale (and the Huddersfield) this meant that the restoration was not just a belated mainteance exercise. At the time they were hannded over to BW they were barely approaching a minimum operational standard. In the case of the Huddersfiled, I think that nearly all of the gates have been replaced - the restoration gates were never going to last as long as 'normal' ones.