Canal Carrying Alive and Well on the Shroppie!

Doorman

Featured Posts

Don't forget automatically searching satellite antennas, completely encased in massive white fibreglass domes, giving a passable representation of the old Fylingdales "golf balls".

I've seen little men perched on a stool at the back, reaching down hopelessly for the tiller, and still apparently unable to steer accurately because of Jodrell Bank on the front.

We've seen no end of similarities along the way. The most recent was a guy who cultivates his summer fayre on the roof deck close to the stern. A regular David Bellamy if ever there was one.

I can't comment on if his boat's trim was affected by him running into the side of my boat as I had no sight of it before the event - I was single handed, and he came "out of the bushes" at me, so in one respect he was in a "good place" to be seeing a larger boat in the midst of blind turn (tucked up out of the way), but why didn't he wait until he could see clear water behind me and not just aim for where he expected there to be a gap? The way he said "I thought you were a fifty footer" made me think he'd had similar event previously, so, on reflection, it was a rehearsed comment...

My first steering adventures were with a certain converted wooden butty which is now in the hands of one of the historic boat organisations, followed by a few other equally large early conversions, working pairs with various levels of loading and sheeting. So I'm well versed in not having a good forward view, but that there are ways of overcoming such difficulties, and know that looking down the side is a "good idea", and checking down both sides is an "even better idea".

[off-topic]

Tip of the last century: Don't discover mid turn at Hawksbury that your butty crew has decided to be taken short and left their post, I'll leave you, gentle reader, to work out how big a mess you can get into...

[/off-topic]

Well he may of turned around but he was facing towards Audlem when we passed him at dinner time ?? lol

Maybe the load is to shield him from the Shroppie winds. On my narrow boat I can see through the boat from back to front so often steer while not in sight if you approach me if there is a cold wind on the Shroppie or on rivers. Having said that some you meet (like this clown and those with their tops overfilled) are downright dangerous because they simply can't see and don't seem to care.

Don't forget automatically searching satellite antennas, completely encased in massive white fibreglass domes, giving a passable representation of the old Fylingdales "golf balls".

I've seen little men perched on a stool at the back, reaching down hopelessly for the tiller, and still apparently unable to steer accurately because of Jodrell Bank on the front.

I was told a lovely story about these satillite seekers by the service engineer for a fleet of share boats. Some of these had the seeker dishes and some of the shares were forever complaining of flat batteries - he found this due to them leaving the seekers on 24/7 and any little boat rock caused them to seek and more electric to get used.

I'm sorry if that's your opinion of me and even sorrier that you're completely wrong to assume it. I also spoke to the guy, if only briefly and he didn't seem too crazy at the time.

No matter how his personality stands up, his actions speak volumes. If you check out the last of the three photos, you may see him approaching not only a bridge hole, but a narrow boat too. From our angle, he didn't appear to have a clue about where he was heading. Just plain negligent.

And please refrain from alluding that I have some sort of superiority complex, nothing further from the truth. I come from the back streets of Liverpool and whatever I may have, I have worked damn hard for.

Whilst living on the canals, we treat everyone as equal, no matter what their boat is made from, or indeed their, or their boat's appearance. That's one of the reasons for coming here in the first place, to get away from the inequalities of 'normal' life on the bank!

Mike

gawd, you still dont get it do you. I'll try and put it another way for you

ok, lets compare actions.

When i met him, he stopped what he was doing and offered me (albeit unneeded) help

When you met him, you took photos and posted them on the internet to have a laugh at his expense

Therefore i would rather meet him than you.

Maybe the load is to shield him from the Shroppie winds. On my narrow boat I can see through the boat from back to front so often steer while not in sight if you approach me if there is a cold wind on the Shroppie or on rivers. Having said that some you meet (like this clown and those with their tops overfilled) are downright dangerous because they simply can't see and don't seem to care.

I could start a whole new topic on that subject!

We were recently moored on the tow path side in the pound below lock 13 at Audlem. Whilst there, we were repeatedly

battered by boaters who seemingly didn't know how to compensate their steering on a windy day. In one particular hour, five boaters collided with us, simply because they allowed their craft to be blown across the wide stretch of the cut.

Out of that five, only one was a hire boat. Alarmingly, the steerer was a complete novice who was being 'guided' by another guy who stood midships on the gunwhales. Instead of taking control himself, the guy chose to shout vague instructions to the panic striken novice. At the moment of heavy impact to our hull, the instructor tried to deflect his boat away by kicking his hob nailed boots along our cabin sides.

Surely, even the most inexperienced of steerers should know that if the wind is blowing from say port to starboard, then he or she should steer into it to avoid being blown out of control? Not so it seems.

Doorman, this could be an unfortunate by-product of the boatyard instructing hirers to slow right down passing moored craft - with less way on, one has less control over the steering, but they dare not speed up because they have been told that it's bad manners. Even now, if it's windy and I have to maintain speed whilst passing such craft I apologise to their occupants and explain that if I went past more slowly I might be sent sideways by the wind and hit them. Some of them understand.

I could start a whole new topic on that subject!

We were recently moored on the tow path side in the pound below lock 13 at Audlem. Whilst there, we were repeatedly

battered by boaters who seemingly didn't know how to compensate their steering on a windy day. In one particular hour, five boaters collided with us, simply because they allowed their craft to be blown across the wide stretch of the cut.

Out of that five, only one was a hire boat. Alarmingly, the steerer was a complete novice who was being 'guided' by another guy who stood midships on the gunwhales. Instead of taking control himself, the guy chose to shout vague instructions to the panic striken novice. At the moment of heavy impact to our hull, the instructor tried to deflect his boat away by kicking his hob nailed boots along our cabin sides.

Surely, even the most inexperienced of steerers should know that if the wind is blowing from say port to starboard, then he or she should steer into it to avoid being blown out of control? Not so it seems.

If, when moored, we see boats crawling towards us in the wind we yell for them to give it some welly - which only works sometimes as some are to expert to take advice. We figure the wind makes more wash than the boats. Mind you in the pound you were in there is no room to give it welly and its amazing how many wind against the boat approaching lock 13 or 14 forcing them to crawl.

gawd, you still dont get it do you. I'll try and put it another way for you

I'm afraid it's you that's not on the same wave length :rolleyes:

I take photos of situations we encounter out of pure interest and diversity, not as you once again assume, to laugh at or deride the 'victim' of the camera. By publishing the photos on the forum, I then invite members to comment as such. How they choose to do so is purely down to them and you for that matter.

Isn't that what a forum is all about, or are you of the namby pamby ilk that none of us should have the right of free speech, in case we may offend some poor soul in the process!

Doorman, this could be an unfortunate by-product of the boatyard instructing hirers to slow right down passing moored craft - with less way on, one has less control over the steering, but they dare not speed up because they have been told that it's bad manners. Even now, if it's windy and I have to maintain speed whilst passing such craft I apologise to their occupants and explain that if I went past more slowly I might be sent sideways by the wind and hit them. Some of them understand.

Yes, I agree in part. But if you notice in my comment, only one of the five was a hirer. The other four appeared to be experienced private boaters.

We would encourage a steerer to increase their speed under such conditions, rather than clout us repeatedly whilst trying to be 'considerate'.

The pound as seen from lock 13.

evdrvp.jpg

The width available, even with boats moored opposite, is enough to make way for two let alone one boat to pass safely.

If, when moored, we see boats crawling towards us in the wind we yell for them to give it some welly - which only works sometimes as some are to expert to take advice. We figure the wind makes more wash than the boats. Mind you in the pound you were in there is no room to give it welly and its amazing how many wind against the boat approaching lock 13 or 14 forcing them to crawl.

Edited by Doorman

I'm afraid it's you that's not on the same wave length :rolleyes:

I take photos of situations we encounter out of pure interest and diversity, not as you once again assume, to laugh at or deride the 'victim' of the camera. By publishing the photos on the forum, I then invite members to comment as such. How they choose to do so is purely down to them and you for that matter.

Isn't that what a forum is all about, or are you of the namby pamby ilk that none of us should have the right of free speech, in case we may offend some poor soul in the process!

nope, you still dont understand.

it's not about 'free speech' - I didnt tell you what you can and cant post - unlike you trying to tell me not to post my opinions in your post #22

I'm giving you my opinion on what you posted, which is that when you use the forum to ridicule other boaters you show yourself up to be not a very nice person and someone I would not want to bump into.

You also help to turn the forum into a nastier place and, as a user of the forum, this is something i care enough about to bother giving you my opinion.

Now you say you spoke to the guy as well - did you call him a "daft bar steward" a "plonker" or a "daft get" to his face? Did you tell him you were going to post the pictures on the internet to ridicule him? Or were you nice to him & then ridiculed him behind his back.

I think that makes you the namby pamby hypocrite

Now you say you spoke to the guy as well - did you call him a "daft bar steward" a "plonker" or a "daft get" to his face? Did you tell him you were going to post the pictures on the internet to ridicule him? Or were you nice to him & then ridiculed him behind his back.

I think that makes you the namby pamby hypocrite

Priceless... :wacko:

Your forum name depicts your demeanour. Please find a darkened room down below and try and chill out..... :rolleyes:

Edited by Doorman

Lonewolf - I think it is you that does not understand.

Go back and read Doorman's posts.

Instead of jumping in blinkers flapping, try and understand what he said.

And are you going to accuse me of ridiculing the boater in the picture I posted? Or accept it for what it is, a photo taken to show a bit of local character; probably like Doorman's.

Priceless... :wacko:

care to respond to the points i made?

Lonewolf - I think it is you that does not understand.

Go back and read Doorman's posts.

Instead of jumping in blinkers flapping, try and understand what he said.

And are you going to accuse me of ridiculing the boater in the picture I posted? Or accept it for what it is, a photo taken to show a bit of local character; probably like Doorman's.

I did read his posts. you dont seem to as they're not comparable to your post at all.

you posted an amusing picture with a humorous comment - by suggesting i would object to it shows that you dont understand my point

Doorman posted several pictures with a location of a boater forum members may (in my case did) encounter and then proceeded to ridicule him, call him a plonker etc.

When i questioned this he misses my point and tells me not to post my opinion.

Then when i clarify, he pretends its all about censorship - it's not about censorship it's about the type of forum i want to post on. These 'other people are rubbish not like me' topics turn the forum into a unpleasant place. I have a right to give my opinion about that.

Sorry all been a member hear for many years and its comments like these that really piss me off calling people plonkers and bar stewards for your own entertainment. The bloke in person may not be the best steersman, sailor, boater etc, I can imagine i would'nt be too happy if someone hit my boat but unless you have met him, sat and talked to him, dont judge.

Sorry rant over

• Greenie 2

The pound as seen from lock 13.

evdrvp.jpg

The width available, even with boats moored opposite, is enough to make way for two let alone one boat to pass safely.

When we had lots of historic boats at Audlem for the Festival of Transport on the last Sunday in July (plug for next year!), they were breasted up on the towpath side, and even with the moored boats on the offside, there was room for two boats to pass in the space in between for most of the pound (i.e. room for 5 boats!).

I'm not sure what that proves, except perhaps (1) incompetence of some boaters, or (2) strong side winds on the Shroppie.

Edited by Hastings

When we had lots of historic boats at Audlem for the Festival of Transport on the last Sunday in July (plug for next year!), they were breasted up on the towpath side, and even with the moored boats on the offside, there was room for two boats to pass in the space in between for most of the pound (i.e. room for 5 boats!).

Yes, we were there. Sadly though, only passing through on our way to Kinver.

On exiting lock 13 (my diminutive missus at the helm), was confronted with a fine array of heritage narrow boats and only a narrow gap to pass whilst an oncoming boat approached. Not only did she navigate through without touching the sides, she also battled the infamous lock 12 against a torrent of water from that sodding bye-wash.

I must admit that the pound between lock 12 and lock 13 is shielded well from the side winds

given its position in the 'valley'.

The remainder of our trip up the Audlem flight was blessed with the sight of ex-working boats approaching Audlem and the steering skills of the helmsmen/women was much to be admired.

Mike

Edited by Doorman

How disappointing.

Carl, are you now Dave Mayall in disguise...?

I am a "poor soul" but still not offended ! :cheers:

Not as poor as us. License fee just paid..........

Edited by Doorman