Canal Carrying Alive and Well on the Shroppie!

Doorman

Featured Posts

As I have often seen shiny narrowboat owners struggling to peer around roof boxes, flower arrangements, sacks of coal and wood piles, I'm a bit confused.

Are we taking the piss out of the unusual nature of his cargo, the quality of his paint job, or the fact that it is "only" an old Dawncraft?

nice one .leve him a lone. not hurting anyone. bob

I can't help being curious about this cargo. The boat was moored, facing back towards Audlem, opposite NBCYC just outside Nantwich when I walked past on Friday on my way to my boat and the cargo was still onboard. If there had been any signs of the owner I would have asked him about it, risking being told to mind my own business.

The black wrapping is ripped in one or two places and it looks like rolls of hessian or hemp but that would be very heavy.

The boat was still there on Saturday morning when I passed in my boat; still no signs of life but it had gone this morning, to who knows where?

I'll risk the wrath of regular forum users ....

Its a Grp Cruiser - A Dawnie at that (Not the best steering cruiser if running a short shaft as recommended)

We have been reported for no licence & also shunned cos we have had a sheet over the front when on hols cos the front hatch was leaking - Part of the fun of cruising the ditch network.

Give the bloke a chance - If he hit you front on then who will it damage the most ???

If he's carrying for a job , then good for him, at least he's earning a crust ! (Rather than pretending to be a working boat :wacko: )

If licenced , give him a chance even if he doesnt know what side of the cut he should be on .... - Plenty of other boaters like that (Without including Hirers , which most of which we meet are excellent , having been warned of the dangers of sinking a cruiser.)

Hmmm - Maybe I should get my coat, its getting colder

I can't help being curious about this cargo. The boat was moored, facing back towards Audlem, opposite NBCYC just outside Nantwich when I walked past on Friday on my way to my boat and the cargo was still onboard. If there had been any signs of the owner I would have asked him about it, risking being told to mind my own business.

The black wrapping is ripped in one or two places and it looks like rolls of hessian or hemp but that would be very heavy.

The boat was still there on Saturday morning when I passed in my boat; still no signs of life but it had gone this morning, to who knows where?

Talked to him in Brewood a few weeks ago, think he had been given the loft insulation to line his boat and thats what he has left, doesn't want to throw it away in case anyone else needs some.

He moors with the same side facing the towpath because he only has fenders on one side, so instead of moving the fenders he just turns the boat round (made me laugh.)

I'll risk the wrath of regular forum users ....

Its a Grp Cruiser - A Dawnie at that (Not the best steering cruiser if running a short shaft as recommended)

We have been reported for no licence & also shunned cos we have had a sheet over the front when on hols cos the front hatch was leaking - Part of the fun of cruising the ditch network.

Give the bloke a chance - If he hit you front on then who will it damage the most ???

If he's carrying for a job , then good for him, at least he's earning a crust ! (Rather than pretending to be a working boat :wacko: )

If licenced , give him a chance even if he doesnt know what side of the cut he should be on .... - Plenty of other boaters like that (Without including Hirers , which most of which we meet are excellent , having been warned of the dangers of sinking a cruiser.)

Hmmm - Maybe I should get my coat, its getting colder

naw, you come in & make yourself comfortable. we need more of your sort round these parts

Talked to him in Brewood a few weeks ago, think he had been given the loft insulation to line his boat and thats what he has left, doesn't want to throw it away in case anyone else needs some.

He moors with the same side facing the towpath because he only has fenders on one side, so instead of moving the fenders he just turns the boat round (made me laugh.)

Thanks for that - it all makes perfect sense, including turning the boat round to moor, which has the added benefit of confusing his followers :)