Canal Carrying Alive and Well on the Shroppie!

Doorman

Featured Posts

Caught this guy going past us today. Slightly unorthodox method of stowing the load!

6nxq4w.jpg

The bloke had to hug the wrong side of the canal in order to see where he was going.

2d2fym8.jpg

God only knows what the oncoming narrow boat steerer must have thought :rolleyes:

2118efm.jpg

I've encountered him, as he charged into a blind bridge as I edged through. I could tell you what I thought of him, but this is mixed company, and there may be children who read this, so I'll only give you the polite paraphrase:

"If your mother loved your father so much why didn't they get married?"

Wayhey , yeah the cargo boat is moored near us at the winding hole near the bottom lock , Maybe he has a insulation job on?

Blimey Stan,

He must have a brother then! He passed us ages ago on his way to Hack Green locks. Although come to think about it, he's probably got lost and ended up back in Audlem. What a plonker :P

Blimey Stan,

He must have a brother then! He passed us ages ago on his way to Hack Green locks. Although come to think about it, he's probably got lost and ended up back in Audlem. What a plonker :P

Well he may of turned around but he was facing towards Audlem when we passed him at dinner time ?? lol

Was that today?

He is a daft bar steward isn't he. What's he up to carrying a load like that.

Mike

No it was some time ago, and then there was even more stowed on the cabin roof.

Might have been a different load, but it was certainly the same batter blue hull.

As I have often seen shiny narrowboat owners struggling to peer around roof boxes, flower arrangements, sacks of coal and wood piles, I'm a bit confused.

Are we taking the piss out of the unusual nature of his cargo, the quality of his paint job, or the fact that it is "only" an old Dawncraft?

For me its his inability to see a 62ft long red and blue object emerging from a bridge hole, he did however manage not to miss said object, hitting me about 10ft forward of the stern deck!

(Excuse was "I thought you were a fifty footer" - he'd have hit one that long, so would his excuse then would have been "I thought you were a forty footer"?)

well, no...he was sitting down...and hugging the 'wrong' side of the canal so that he could hug the bank, as that was the only side where his steering wheel was on the boat, pretending that he was on course...the only hurdles that loomed were bridges or oncoming boats! Thick hat over his head...couldn't hear a thing..including warnings of an oncoming vessel! Apparently he saw neither until the last moment...& probably after the oncoming sailers had XXXX themselves!! Ah well, last minute, all ok & no mishap :rolleyes:

As I have often seen shiny narrowboat owners struggling to peer around roof boxes, flower arrangements, sacks of coal and wood piles, I'm a bit confused.

Not as confused as them. We've cruised along the River Ribble on a blustery day alongside narrow boaters carrying the same anti-ballast as you describe. Crazy.... :wacko::wacko:

Well he may be but I not sure the boat is. It's clearly a very light load from the way the trim of the boat remains unaffected by it, from the pics.

Quite right, but I'll bet his trim was affected when he collided with Bob's narrow boat. :unsure:

Edited by Doorman

Are we taking the piss out of the unusual nature of his cargo, the quality of his paint job, or the fact that it is "only" an old Dawncraft?

I think they're taking the piss because they want to feel superior to someone.

It's quite common to see these 'other people are rubbish not like me' topics here. Usually they are started without any knowledge of the person being ridiculed or their circumstances.

I met this chap yesterday between the hack green locks. He was extremely nice and pleasant. not bothered that i'd shut the gate of the lock he was heading for (cos i didnt see him until i was halfway across the pound) and he even tied up his boat and came to see if i wanted any help in the lock cos i was obviously without crew.

I know who i'd rather meet out on the cut and it ain't the OP

Quite right, but I'll bet his trim was affected when he collided with Bob's narrow boat. :unsure:

But when one considers the hundreds, if not thousands, of uneventful collisions (as this one must have been, given that the plastic boat wasn't damaged nor the unusual load disturbed) that occur each year, I'm not sure why this one is significant.

I know who i'd rather meet out on the cut and it ain't the OP

I'm sorry if that's your opinion of me and even sorrier that you're completely wrong to assume it. I also spoke to the guy, if only briefly and he didn't seem too crazy at the time.

No matter how his personality stands up, his actions speak volumes. If you check out the last of the three photos, you may see him approaching not only a bridge hole, but a narrow boat too. From our angle, he didn't appear to have a clue about where he was heading. Just plain negligent.

And please refrain from alluding that I have some sort of superiority complex, nothing further from the truth. I come from the back streets of Liverpool and whatever I may have, I have worked damn hard for.

Whilst living on the canals, we treat everyone as equal, no matter what their boat is made from, or indeed their, or their boat's appearance. That's one of the reasons for coming here in the first place, to get away from the inequalities of 'normal' life on the bank!

Mike

Don't forget automatically searching satellite antennas, completely encased in massive white fibreglass domes, giving a passable representation of the old Fylingdales "golf balls".

I've seen little men perched on a stool at the back, reaching down hopelessly for the tiller, and still apparently unable to steer accurately because of Jodrell Bank on the front.

How disappointing.

I was sort of hoping it was my mate Jock, with a new boat, but he's madder than a box of frogs so that counts him out.

:P If he was that mad we would have invited him on board for a drink, he'd be in good company with us two old farts. :wacko: :wacko: