Family going boating for 1st time

12uthy

Featured Posts

Hi Folks

We have a holiday booked for the beginning of April next year and we were wondering if anyone has any tips of things that we need to take. We are a family of 5 (3 Adults and 2 children aged 12 and 5) and we have already thought about waterproofs for every one and good non slip footwear but can't think of anything else that we might need to remember. I am hoping that you folks will think of some things that we haven't thought of.

We've done the RYA Helmsman Course but have never been on our own on a boat before.

Also we are thinking of doing the Whaley Bridge and back option from the Stoke on Trent base of Black Prince has anyone any tips? I'm particularly nervous about the Harecastle Tunnel are there any little tricks for getting us through it with as little bumps as possible.

Can anyone recommend any good family pubs on the way and where is it best to moor up?

Thanks everyone.

Edited by 12uthy

Hi Folks

We have a holiday booked for the beginning of April next year and we were wondering if anyone has any tips of things that we need to take. We are a family of 5 (3 Adults and 2 children aged 12 and 5) and we have already thought about waterproofs for every one and good non slip footwear but can't think of anything else that we might need to remember. I am hoping that you folks will think of some things that we haven't thought of.

We've done the RYA Helmsman Course but have never been on our own on a boat before.

Also we are thinking of doing the Whaley Bridge and back option from the Stoke on Trent base of Black Prince has anyone any tips? I'm particularly nervous about the Harecastle Tunnel are there any little tricks for getting us through it with as little bumps as possible.

Can anyone recommend any good family pubs on the way and where is it best to moor up?

Thanks everyone.

Hi - your boat will (should!) have everything you need navigation wise -

Waterproofs and good footwear you've got covered - you might want to think about thermals for that time of year..and hats of some description.

I would take a good torch and spare batteries (some people on here swear by head torches) - I don't recall ever hiring a boat that had a working torch on board.

Harecastle - well, we did it the first time this year and yes we did manage to strike the front cabin edge. It gets very low in the middle (there are lower tunnels mind), I just lost concentration while steering. Keep up a decent speed, don't crawl through or you will rattle down the walls. Also - talk to the tunnel keepers explain it's your first time, they are very helpful and will advise.

Ed to add. - oh and yes start putting the money in a piggy bank now because you will definitely want to do it again or even worse like us end up buying a boat... enjoy!!

Edited by MJG

I like to have my binoculars with me. Partly so that I can spy on the local wildlife, and partly so that I can see signs from a distance. It boils down to me being a nosey bugger :)

Other than that you'll be grand! Have an ace trip.

Hi Folks

Thanks everyone.

Life jackets to be worn on the children at all times, first thing I do is make sure my (10 yr old)daughter is wearing hers when onboard our boat. She's as clumsy as hell and always trying to jump on and off. I have now banned her from jumping off especially when approaching locks, as a single parent/cruiser I cant moor the boat up and watch her at the same time.

Enjoy your holidays and take a camera, the canals and country side are just breath taking in some places, we dont know how lucky we are.

Life jackets to be worn on the children at all times, first thing I do is make sure my (10 yr old)daughter is wearing hers when onboard our boat. She's as clumsy as hell and always trying to jump on and off. I have now banned her from jumping off especially when approaching locks, as a single parent/cruiser I cant moor the boat up and watch her at the same time.

Enjoy your holidays and take a camera, the canals and country side are just breath taking in some places, we dont know how lucky we are.

It's good advice but the OP won't need to take them - the yard will provide them FOC

I'm particularly nervous about the Harecastle Tunnel are there any little tricks for getting us through it with as little bumps as possible.

When you are going through the tunnel turn all your lights on inside and open the curtains. The lights will illuminate the tunnel walls and make it easier for you to steer in a straight line.

At least thats the theory

You'll probably still find you get a bit zigzaggy because its your first time but you'll get the hang of it eventually

With 5 people especially if you shower everyday you'll go through lots of water too so remember to fill up at least every other day - that's something the hire people you be able to advise. If its a dump through pump out toilet take an air freshener...........

Other than that , do what we all do, slow down, enjoy the scenery and chill

Edited by tillergirl

A penknife sometimes comes in handy.

If you are going to the marina by car, work out what food you need and take it with you. if going by public transport arrange a supermarket delivery to the marina for an hour before you're supposed to get there and make you you phone the marina so they are expecting it. There are some shops en route but it's best not to spend ages hunting down a supermarket, doing a big shop shop and carting it all back to the boat.

When you are approaching Harecastle Tunnel. If you are lucky the keeper will let you go in almost immediately. So it's probably best to make sure the crew know the preparations to be done as you approach rather relying on the driver having to supervise it all. I started snaking early on but managed to hold it straight after a few minutes. The improtant thing is to concentrate to make sure you correct any snaking before you hit the wall. When you are holding it straight, after a while, you get this wierd sensation that it's the tunnel moving rather than the boat. It is good fun though.

The only other bit of advice I can think of is arrive at the boatyard a little bit before you are told to (apologising by saying the trip went quicker than you expected). Don'd spend a lot of time unpacking and making the boat homely, you can do that once you have moored for the night. Try to be the first boat in line for the Boatyard's schpiel. You'll really appreciate the extra boating time on the first afternoon, and it means that you won't be waiting behind the flotilla of of Black Prince hire boats waiting at the first lock. Infact your first "feature" will be Harecastle Tunnel, being at the front of the Flotilla will make the tunnel much more enjoyable.

Edited by TimD

A penknife sometimes comes in handy.

If you are going to the marina by car, work out what food you need and take it with you. if going by public transport arrange a supermarket delivery to the marina for an hour before you're supposed to get there and make you you phone the marina so they are expecting it. There are some shops en route but it's best not to spend ages hunting down a supermarket, doing a big shop shop and carting it all back to the boat.

Good advice.

When you realise that you forgot something vital, there is a convenient Tesco North of Harecastle. Moor up just before the junction with the Macc and cross the tail of the locks, past the WMC, and turn right at the main road.

There is another Tesco at Whaley Bridge to replenish halfway.

Oh, and don't bother with Whaley Bridge, just go to Bugsworth.

Hi Folks

Thanks everyone.

All of the above plus consider the Caldon Canal - it's beautiful and has secret pubs

Waterscape Boaters Guide

Alex

Edited by steelaway

I would ring the boat yard to see if you can pick the boat up earlier than stated. Given the time of year you may find that it has not been booked for the preceeding week and so will be available. Double check when returning as well if it's not booked for the following week you may get a later return time.

Hi folks thank you all so much for your posts, they've all been really helpful, just what I was hoping for. Will certainly look out for the Rising Sun,is it a family friendly pub do you know?

Does anyone know where there are some shops along the way to stock up, we're hoping to get provisions at the start for the whole week but in case we run out of anything it would be handy to pick up some little things along the way?

Thanks again and keep your comments coming, they are very useful.

This was one of the first routes we did years ago when we started hiring and it's an excellent choice, a bit of everything. We also did it earlier this year and we struggled a bit to find convenient shops. It's good advice to stock up with as much as you can to begin with.

Whalley Bridge we find extremely noisy, from the traffic on the road nearby.

Agree with Steelaway - if I was hiring from Stoke I would be tempted to do the Caldon, it's now one of my favourite canals but maybe not for a first timer. Your first lock is a staircase, for a start, and the canal is very narrow in places, but if you feel adventurous there are some unique attractions, such as the pub with no road access, which also happens to be adjacent the steam railway (yes Alex we know you've driven it...), and froghall tunnel (lowest on the system) which you won't go through but it's worth a visit. If you like it quiet you won't do better than the Caldon in April. Except maybe the Leeds Liverpool in July...

On a practical level, there's been a debate on this forum recently about the merits/safety of drinking water straight from the boat's tank. For all I know modern hire boats may have filters now, but one essential item for us used to be a big container for filling up with drinking water only.

When you do the tunnel, if you're not confident ask the tunnel keeper if you can go through last, that way you won't be concerned about holding boats up behind.

Edited by Neil2