Alarm Simulators

Featured Posts

Are car alarm simulators any good for boats? I've got scores of them and wonder if they'd work for boats too. The idea is there's an LED light that flashes and it tricks thieves into assuming there's an alarm system. It connects to 12 volt batteries so I suppose that on a boat you just need to make sure the light is visible?

Are car alarm simulators any good for boats? I've got scores of them and wonder if they'd work for boats too. The idea is there's an LED light that flashes and it tricks thieves into assuming there's an alarm system. It connects to 12 volt batteries so I suppose that on a boat you just need to make sure the light is visible?

Worked for two of us on BW long term moorings (towpath side) some 10 yrs back - Ours were the only two boats not targeted by lowlife. Slow flash LEDs seem to be scarce nowadays :unsure:

Why not rig a PIR outside the boat, to swich on a light inside the boat. Then it will look occupied. If you have LED bulbs even a whole load of triggers wont deplete the batteries.

Why not rig a PIR outside the boat, to swich on a light inside the boat. Then it will look occupied. If you have LED bulbs even a whole load of triggers wont deplete the batteries.

That's not a bad idea. I bought a couple of small red slow-flashing leds from Maplins a while ago but I haven't fitted them yet. They were only a few quid each, but your idea sounds better. Can you buy PIR units separately from lights?

Edited by blackrose

That's not a bad idea. I bought a couple of small red slow-flashing leds from Maplins a while ago but I haven't fitted them yet. They were only a few quid each, but your idea sounds better. Can you buy PIR units separately from lights?

A friend of mine has an intermittent red LED on his rear door so visible way down the towpath, he has never had any problems. I invested in Maplins garden light solar sale earlier in the year, it goes dark, they come on, and when installed cleverly behind curtains, even I think I'm home before I get aboard.....

Is it worthwhile putting some up in the sales section? I can get scores of them and cheap at that. I tested one today but we were all baffled and here's why: Open up the case and there's a 9 volt battery plug. So you can put a radio battery in. There are also 2 large wires and I connected those up to a 12 volt battery and then switched on the device. LED started to flash.

So, now I ask myself can I capitalise on this? Could they be used on boats? The thing is places often close down and sell off stock so I can get dozens of these devices.

Maybe my market is poor boaters who want ultra cheap security.

Any idea why there are two batteries? Is the 9 volt just an alternative power source?

Worked for two of us on BW long term moorings (towpath side) some 10 yrs back - Ours were the only two boats not targeted by lowlife. Slow flash LEDs seem to be scarce nowadays :unsure:

You can buy the PIRs separately however their current draw is not insignificant and will flatten your domestics in a couple of weeks.

You can buy the PIRs separately however their current draw is not insignificant and will flatten your domestics in a couple of weeks.

I have a couple of battery operated PIR activated led lights inside the boat so when I come in at night I don't need to fumble for light switches. The batteries last for ages.