The pain.

DJR

Featured Posts

[font=Ta

homa][/font]The best advice we received before moving on board was ,'do it while you are still young'. The pain creeps in slowly when you use the stairs and realise this is not a movement the hips are used to. The weight creeps up on cosy nights in with nibbles and booze, necessary with card games, and since the dogs died and we spent 3 years in midlands with no locks. We have slept in bed'ole and roll over together,but do not stretch out. We have just spent 3 months cruising and I have supraspinatis sprain. Luckily not an arthritic shoulder,(self-diagnosed old age!) and will recover. Doctor asked what I had been up to, I said 'Boating' and he said,'ahh,throwing ropes'..??!!I didn't argue as he pressed a knotted ligament on my shoulder blade and eased the pain.Skipper has housemaid's knee and a weak acchilles!! so,time to jump ship,buy some stairs,garden,garage and get on the motorbikes to work. Lucky we still have a second boat to 'boat' but living afloat aches the bones, but keeps the soul young. We have loved the past six years but realise we are too old to start jogging and would not be seen dead in lycra. Have started swimming, and walking at a brisk pace along the towpath to work!!!OH and we are still young,I think. Keep taking the tablets. :cheers:

I've been boating for 6 months.

My back aches.

My neck aches.

My hands ache.

My achilles tendons hurt.

I had to have bandages round my knees coming over the Pennines.

The cat, however, is fine.

:)

ETA - I'm 43 :)

Edited by DeanS

Try travelling more. Locks keep hubby fit and he is in his 70's

Sue

Yes, I only started getting the aches after we stopped travelling....about a week or 2 now...about to moor in a marina for the winter. It could also be due to the large number of dead trees I had to cut into workeable bits, which now adorn our roof. :)

More active..did not realise how sedentary living aboard is and how one seizes up!!

sedentary? HOW?! When moored up there are always jobs to do about the place, towpaths to clear of rubbish and heaps of walks over the fields. I suppose life can be as active of sedentary as you like wherever one lives.

I do get stiff boating though - standing on the tiller then the activity at the locks followed by standing at the tiller seem to be a good way to seize up so I don't do epic journeys, only as long as I can manage.

Edited by Bones

There is an obvious solution - it involves lots of pedalling . . .

I do this - cycling is great for keeping your joints in good health - I'm developing arthritis at only 41 :help: - the thought of not being able to boat anymore really upsets me.

So I'm doing what I can - as well as cycling, I changed my diet and lost 2 stone, go swimming once a week,do yoga and try to look after myself. Have seen some improvement. My poor dad has rheumatoid arthritis - he can't even come to stay on our boat, which is so sad.

Edited by Lady Muck

I do get stiff boating though - standing on the tiller

That's where you're going wrong - shows a good sense of balance but can be deleterious to joints, ligaments etc. Try standing in front of it instead.