Cratch Covers and corner sofa beds

alan53

Featured Posts

Hello boaters,

We need to replace the cratch cover on our new (well, second hand) narrowboat - our first. It really is well beyond repair.

We have been quoted for P/U coated vinyl acrylic, and for vinyl. Which of these materials is best? Is canvas a lot better?

Any advice gratefully received.

We are also trying to get a corner (L shaped) sofa bed and are finding it difficult. Having it specially made is pricey but maybe its the best? If you know of any good corner sofa beds that can be bought from shops please let us know. Any comments on this much appreciated too.

Many Thanks

Al

Hi Alan,

Welcome to the mad house!

I can't help with the cratch info, but regarding corner sofa bed, try Nabru. We have a customised corner sofa bed at home from these guys, it comes flat packed on a pallet, but the sofa is 97cm deep, so may be a bit too big for a narrowboat. It is, however, a fantastic product, and i seem to remember that our sofa, which is 3M by 2.4M with a double sofa bed was about £900, to give you an idea of price!

Regards,

Dan

For a new cratch cover, talk to Kinver Canopies. They're a new company formed by a couple of ex-employees of Wilsons Of Kinver when the latter went bump. They seem nice guys and keen to offer novel solutions when required.

I'll second the Nabru recommendation - we have one in our conservatory and it's unbeatable for the money.

Tony

We used AJ Canopies of Braunston for our cratch cover and pram hood. Very pleased with quality of both the work and material used.

Dave

(No connection with company other than as a customer.)

Edited by DaveC

If your boat is anywhere near Otley i would strongly recommend Canvasman - they are not the cheapest but if you have an existing frame it shouldn't be too bad. I think they operate a free measurement/fitting service if you are within 30 miles of Otley. That might have changed in the two years since I used them.

I'm looking for a cheap way of fitting a corner sofa and my idea is to track down a caravan breaking for spares. Just missed out on one the other day. In my case it is laziness and lack of cash. Not too difficult to make up the carcassing for such an item but the cost of proper cushion foam and fitting covers is prohibitive at the moment. Might be an option for you though.

Borrowing this thread if i may :D does anyone know of a cratch cover maker on or near the kennet and avon, thanks

I had one made by Garland Sails of Bristol. They came and measured up, made the cover and came back and fitted it. It was good quality but not cheap. Take a look here

Rik

• 2 weeks later...