Boats passing at more than tickover on the cut?

TheWilk

Featured Posts

I was waiting for someone to comment on that ;)

I wouldn't worry about that - our ropes always look like that - life's to short to spend precious time anally coiling them into a nice little spiral.

We went on the River Aire above Knottingley, headed for the Selby canal in 2009, both there and back we were surrounded by jetskis and powerboats and waterskiers. Quite exciting.

I think the fist wavers and shouters ought to spend a bit of time on the Thames where you get lots of wash and no one is bothered by it at all, they just tie in and chill out.

We went on the River Aire above Knottingley, headed for the Selby canal in 2009, both there and back we were surrounded by jetskis and powerboats and waterskiers. Quite exciting.

I think the fist wavers and shouters ought to spend a bit of time on the Thames where you get lots of wash and no one is bothered by it at all, they just tie in and chill out.

Could not agree more, I move 24 ton of water to travel 63 feet don't expect your boat not to move and if stupid enougth to use a roof cenre rope expect to roll as well.

i could'nt agree more. learn to moor up using springs which i learnt from a "boring blog" and i don'nt care how fast other boaters go past now. just chill out and enjoy your time on the water and your boat.

• Greenie 1

i could'nt agree more. learn to moor up using springs which i learnt from a "boring blog" and i don'nt care how fast other boaters go past now. just chill out and enjoy your time on the water and your boat.

Absolutely. I am sick and tired of the slowdown brigade - 4mph is slow, for god's sake.

You always see slow down signs before boats that never go anywhere and are moored in the most casual fashion.

Said it before, learn to tie up your boat properly and boats can pass you as quick as they like.

Lady Muck is right - try telling some of the gin palaces on The Thames to slow down.

The effect of speed on moored boats is related to the cross-sectional area of the waterway and the displacement of the passing boat. On a wide river or even a deep and wide canal the effect of passing boats can be negligible.

I moor on a wide canal with springs and soft fenders and hardly notice speeding narrow boats. However speeding widebeams is a different matter. More than once I've had to rescue other boats where both pins have been ripped out by passing widebeams. Where the bank is soft I'm not sure even springs would help if you're reliant on pins.

I think I'll put up a sign "Widebeams: SLOW MOORED BOATS" ;)

I dont get revved up or sick and tired about other boaters passing by too fast. I just do the same speed when passing them the next time I see them moored. :rolleyes:

Exactly. Tie your boat up as it should be and expect it to move anyway! If not go buy a house or caravan as a moving medium is not for you, because it moves.

• Greenie 1

Widebeam or broadbeam? :rolleyes:

Actually, I think widebeam (as in the oxymoron of widebeam narrowboat) are worst because of their square section, particularly if they are the full 14ft wide. The Lady Teal comes to mind! ;)

I haven't noticed the effect of passing broadbeam barges particularly, but they are also much less common.

Mind you, today the boat is bouncing about so much with the wind that anyone could speed past and I probably wouldn't notice! :P

Actually, I think widebeam (as in the oxymoron of widebeam narrowboat) are worst because of their square section, particularly if they are the full 14ft wide. The Lady Teal comes to mind! ;)

I haven't noticed the effect of passing broadbeam barges particularly, but they are also much less common.

Mind you, today the boat is bouncing about so much with the wind that anyone could speed past and I probably wouldn't notice! :P

The whole world is moving today, and its going to get worse, slow down please God.

The whole world is moving today, and its going to get worse, slow down please God.

Jan is on the boat at the mo in the marina - she has abandoned any plans to take it out and seemingly they are being tossed around like corks in a barrel...her friend is claiming she is suffering sea/motion sickness..... :rolleyes:

Absolutely. I am sick and tired of the slowdown brigade - 4mph is slow, for god's sake.

You always see slow down signs before boats that never go anywhere and are moored in the most casual fashion.

Said it before, learn to tie up your boat properly and boats can pass you as quick as they like.

Lady Muck is right - try telling some of the gin palaces on The Thames to slow down.

I suggest you haven't spent much time on narrow, shallow canals.

On many of those, 4mph is well above what can realistically be achieved (without destroying the canal in the process), and if you're travelling at the limiting speed for your boat on a particular canal you do need to slow down when passing moored boats.

OTOH I've been shouted at on the River Weaver, to 'slow down to 2 mph!' on a stretch which is over 200' wide and 10' deep, that is plainly ridiculous.

Tim

• Greenie 1

I suggest you haven't spent much time on narrow, shallow canals.

On many of those, 4mph is well above what can realistically be achieved (without destroying the canal in the process), and if you're travelling at the limiting speed for your boat on a particular canal you do need to slow down when passing moored boats.

OTOH I've been shouted at on the River Weaver, to 'slow down to 2 mph!' on a stretch which is over 200' wide and 10' deep, that is plainly ridiculous.

Tim

I use my sat nav on the boat and 4 mph is never on only place I have achieved it was on the Birmingham main line out of Gas Street Basin where they have dredged it, Oxford canal is usually less than 3 sometimes under 2! The Thames above Oxford 6-6.5 is pushing it below Oxford 6.5-7 I was surprised at how slow canal boats are and I have one of the quick ones. I've also been shouted at on the Weaver as well also shouted at reversing up Tardibigge as well also told I should not be reversing up a flight of locks, do they think I'm going down 20 to wind and up the same or just reverse up 13!

I try to be more considerate of boats on pins and especially considerate of boats on pins when there's been wet weather. With the best will in the world even a well tied up boat on a waterlogged path with speedboats haring by will suffer after a few inconsiderate boaters not giving a toss. Worse if there's no one home while it's happening.