holiday

steveiom

Featured Posts

I cannot say for your area. However I use a 3 dongle, I currently live in a house, my dongle is 3.6 Mbps & I rarely get above dial-up speeds (0.56 Mbps). If I go to the pub (1 mile away) I get about 3 Mbps. My GF has a 7.2 Mbps dongle from the same place & gets the same speeds as me.

By their (3) own admisson most people will get about 1.1 Mbps... along the 17 locks into Northampton on the GUC there is an area where I get no reception, close to a village, yet there is also an area where I get good reception in the middle of no where.

3 dongle claim to have the best mobile broadband dongle network thingy, & although I have never used any other networks dongle, from the people I have spoken to, their claim is probably correct (IMO). I would also think that if they were lying then their competitors would have something to say about it

Edit. I am not trying to promote 3, I think they are rubbish, but I also get the impression other networks are more rubbish. The Marina I am trying to get into claims to have wifi, but I cannot detect a wifi signal there, & my laptop is good at getting wifi signals.

PAYG is £10 for 1Gb & lasts 30 days

Edited by Ssscrudddy

1470211945.png

This is my speed with 3 now and that is inside the boat without dongle hanging out side.

1470214181.png

This is with dongle hanging out of window

Edited to say: I am nowhere near Newbury...........I am in Loughborough so not quite sure why it says Newbury......

Edited by cotswoldsman

Those are good speeds, and that ping time in not bad at all either. People often forget about the impact of ping time. For general browsing (say this forum) you don't need that much bandwidth at all, but mobile ping time can be quite high and 300 is not unusual to UK sites and that will make usage feel sluggish. Of course once you start downloading big files the effect all changes.

I use 3 when on the boat, I don't generally see as good a speeds as you, but certainly get faster speeds than I get at home on adsl, but you will not get 20ms ping time on 3g (unless someone knows better) so it will always feels more sluggish on the boat than at home.

Newbury is just where Three are connecting to the internet backbone. Speedtest has me in Sitttingbourne (Kent?) when I am in the Midlands on adsl.

Last week I purchased the new 3 super fast dongle thingy and I have to say it has increased my speed by at least 30% (Sorry about the technical names)

So it works then rolleyes.gif. Now if they can just sort out the ping time; which perhaps is a big ask as we probably come down to basic physics.

Edited by john6767

To the OP-

I too have a 3 dongle (not the new 'whizzy' one like John above) and have found it to be extremely reliable and quite fast enough for general internet browsing. I hang mine in a window next to the table my lappy is on using a shortish extension lead.

I rarely (if ever) have less than three bars on the service indicator.

I used to carry a Vodafone one as a back-up but have never had to use it so don't bother now.

We came up the T&M, Bridgewater last month and it was fine (The it didn't work in the tunnels :lol: )

I have a 3 Dongle...latest type...the latest Vodafone..and also Orange via my tethered phone.

I have tested these for a while..

I have a 1 month month rolling contract on the Vodafone...but will let it lapse now as the 3 is fast and reliable in most areas and I can't see a need for the Vodafone. THe Vodafone tends to drop signal from time time...

bob

My vodafone dongle also drops signal and is often very slow. I'll be changing it for another network when the current topup runs out, so I'm watching this thread with interest

I use 3 and since having it have traveled around quite a bit and most days I have a usable signal, You need to get it outside the steel box, often in a window behind glass will work but sometime to get above the cabin top helps. a 5 mt extension lead is useful.

If you go for 3 then it looks as if you can get a better deal on E Bay than from a 3 shop.

If you go for 3 then it looks as if you can get a better deal on E Bay than from a 3 shop.

Be careful though when doing this - I bought a 3 SIM from eBay after a recommendation on here.

Worked fine until I needed to top up - after which it started to complain the SIM/plan I'd originally purchased was not designed for use in devices other than a mobile phone, and no longer would would work in my dongle...wasted a tenner in the process.

I use 3 and since having it have traveled around quite a bit and most days I have a usable signal, You need to get it outside the steel box, often in a window behind glass will work but sometime to get above the cabin top helps. a 5 mt extension lead is useful.

I got my new style 3 dongle..in PC World. £19.99 including 1 months...1 Gb..allowance.

The topups are £10 / 1 Gb...which I think is too much...

I slung the chip that came with it...and put a 3 PAYG phone card (not data) in it.

If you log into My3 and register a credit card..take a few days..you then put some credit on the account.

I put about £20 there as a balance....but it lasts for ever..there is no shutoff date.

Go to your 3 account..go to 'Purchase add ons'.. DO NOT GO TO MOBILE BROADBAND...got to internet..

On the list is says..Purchase internet addon daily...weekly...or monhtly is £5.

This give you 2Gb for £5 for 30 days..

When you are near the end of 30 days..you can purchase another..and it will automatically queue it ready to go.

I let this all lapse when I am away in winter for 6 months...and when I log on in Spring..I buy another add on..and off I go.

bob

Be careful though when doing this - I bought a 3 SIM from eBay after a recommendation on here.

Worked fine until I needed to top up - after which it started to complain the SIM/plan I'd originally purchased was not designed for use in devices other than a mobile phone, and no longer would would work in my dongle...wasted a tenner in the process.

Strange...?

My mobile phone chip has been working OK for a long time..in fact...I'm using it right now in the latest 3 dongle. Its just an ordinary phone chip..that you buy in many shops for 99p...which is where I bought it..the 99p shop.

bob

Edited by Bobbybass

Not strange - just factual.

I have done this before..just bought one from a 99p shop ?

I can't top it up..other than online though.

I'm sorry if I have mislead anybody..but I have never had a problem...

Sorry...sorry...grovel grovel... :o

bob

Edited by Bobbybass

I have done this before..just bought one from a 99p shop ?

I can't top it up..other than online though.

bob

Possibly - I though was responding to Ditchcrawlers suggestion to get one from eBay. Never bought one from a 99p shop.

I have been buying the 3gb for 3 months sim cards off ebay for the last 12 months, but I have never tried to top one up, as that would (assuming it worked) be at the £10 for 1gb/1month rate. I just throw it away when the 3 months are up (never use the whole 3gb) and put another one in. So I will be careful if I do get caught out, to put the original sim that came with the dongle back in and top that up and not one of the ebay ones, thanks for the warning.

Mifi on 3, upto 4 divices from one 'dongle' 1 month rolling contract. 15gb for £15. Very quick and reliable. (in london)

Yes heard about the 15mb for £15 from another member I thought I had done well at 10mb for £15pm. It is a bit like being on a long haul flight does not matter how good the deal you have the person sitting next to you always seems to have a better one!!!!

It is a bit like being on a long haul flight does not matter how good the deal you have the person sitting next to you always seems to have a better one!!!!

They do...?

Youre right...!

Damn..I never noticed that before...heck......why is that ??

Hang on..I have to stand up and sit down...and make it equal again...! :blink:

bob

Edited by Bobbybass

I have a 3 mobile dongle, 15gb per month for £15 and have been very pleased with it. As both my phone and dongle contracts have now expired I am going to get an Android phone on 3, with unlimited internet access and more free minutes and texts than I will ever use, which acts as a dongle for the laptop as well as a phone. £25 per month, 24 month contract.

A bit of info about the 'superfast' new dongle/MiFi modem.

I'm still on the regular black MiFi modem but will get the new E586 (which is out this week). I'm told that the HSPA+ dongle/MiFi will only be noticeably quicker in the areas that 3 have upgraded to HSPA+ (John must be in an upgraded area).

By the end of the year 3 are expecting 60% of the network to have been done, and the rest early into next year, and at that point everyone will really notice the difference (my 3 man tells me his HSPA+ phone gets download speeds of more than 5Mbps - now that is quick!!).

Jo

A bit of info about the 'superfast' new dongle/MiFi modem.

I'm still on the regular black MiFi modem but will get the new E586 (which is out this week). I'm told that the HSPA+ dongle/MiFi will only be noticeably quicker in the areas that 3 have upgraded to HSPA+ (John must be in an upgraded area).

By the end of the year 3 are expecting 60% of the network to have been done, and the rest early into next year, and at that point everyone will really notice the difference (my 3 man tells me his HSPA+ phone gets download speeds of more than 5Mbps - now that is quick!!).

Jo

8.75 as you can see

1470214181.png

This is from inside the boat today

1472251266.png

looks like I have moved to Manchester today!!

Edited by cotswoldsman

I use a 3 mifi dongle (an old one -- I got it free from a friend upgrading to the new version). It isn't super quick, but it is okay.

The main thing I wanted to say is that if you aren't a super heavy user the cheapest way I have found is to buy a new 3 sim on eBay, 3 gb lasts 3 months and costs about £12. When it runs out, or when 3 months are over, don't top it up, because then your 3 gb will only last 1 month. Throw it out and buy a new 3 month sim on eBay. The 3 months don't start until you first use the sim, so I always have one spare to slot in when I run out of data.

I have a 3 Dongle...latest type...the latest Vodafone..and also Orange via my tethered phone.

I have tested these for a while..

I have a 1 month month rolling contract on the Vodafone...but will let it lapse now as the 3 is fast and reliable in most areas and I can't see a need for the Vodafone. THe Vodafone tends to drop signal from time time...

bob

I've got a Vodafone dongle on the 1 month rolling contract as well. Reception is OK (K&A; Thames; GUC south).

My one problem is UPLOADING large-ish image files. It's only once in a blue moon that I can get a 4Mb file away ... 15Mb files forget it. I've had so many different responses from Vodafone help people from all over the planet I don't know WHAT is possible on their system.

So, question: Has anyone regularly been able to UPLOAD large files with the 3 dongle? (With the Vodafone dongle, for that matter?)