New bollard at Dundas K&A

Tim Doran

Featured Posts

Has anyone noticed the new bollard at Dundas? It is in the middle of the towpath between the liftbridge and the aquaduct. It appears to be there to stop people from driving along the towpath (although there is a house on the otherside that uses it for access). I have phoned BW to see what they have to say about it as I would like to see the risk assessement carried out for it. It is absolutly lethal to walkers and cylcist who use the towpath in the dark, as it has no reflective parts.

Does anyone know what the process is for BW installing new equipment? Do risk assessements happen?

I forgot to take a photo such was my amazement over such a daft thing to do, but here is a googled image of similar bollard4.JPG

If anyone has a spanner to hand it is secured by 4 bolts ;)

Has anyone noticed the new bollard at Dundas? It is in the middle of the towpath between the liftbridge and the aquaduct. It appears to be there to stop people from driving along the towpath (although there is a house on the otherside that uses it for access). I have phoned BW to see what they have to say about it as I would like to see the risk assessement carried out for it. It is absolutly lethal to walkers and cylcist who use the towpath in the dark, as it has no reflective parts.

Does anyone know what the process is for BW installing new equipment? Do risk assessements happen?

I forgot to take a photo such was my amazement over such a daft thing to do, but here is a googled image of similar bollard4.JPG

What did BW say when you phoned them?

I have never ever seen anyone drive along the towpath there except the two vehicles that are authorised to do so.

wtf. that's mental.

Not only mental, but imagine cycling/walking into that at night! Its just about right for a knee capping.

What did BW say when you phoned them?

They went away to get an answer and have come back saying that the cheif engineer will have a look at it this week and will report back to me. It was authorised by BW as the woman I spoke to had ordered it.

And meanwhile, the Bath flight deteriorates beyond repair....

Maybe the chief engineer could have a look at them when he is done with the bollard.

If you hear of anyone injuring themselves on it, myself and BW would like to know about it.

You posted this over an hour ago. There is probably a boat, cycle, handcart, rollalong water container, wheelbarrow and dog tied to it for the next 14 days by now.

It would make a great bollard to moor against if it was 8ft closer to the canal.

It would make a great bollard to moor against if it was 8ft closer to the canal.

If it's 8 feet from the canal, a car will get past it with extreme care, so it's even more pointless

It could be that the owners of "Bob's cottage" paid for it and BW did the work

("Bob's cottage" is not an official name BTW, it's just what I know the former lengthsman's cottage as)

It is BWs doing. I was talking to one of the people who lives down there. They had to remind BW that people live down there and need access. I believe BWs original plan was to put it there and make it a permanent fixture. Not seen this bollard but they were supposed to make it such that it could be removed (although possibly not by the public)

If it's 8 feet from the canal, a car will get past it with extreme care, so it's even more pointless

It could be that the owners of "Bob's cottage" paid for it and BW did the work

("Bob's cottage" is not an official name BTW, it's just what I know the former lengthsman's cottage as)

I can't see her having anything to do with it, she's a well sensible woman.

She works at my daughters nursery in Bradford on Avon, and her experiences of BW seem to be similar to most boaters (dreadful incompetence, lack of communication, left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing, occasional stroke of common sense).

Eta: I'm pretty sure she has had nothing to do with it.

Edited by mickspangle

I have not been down to Dundas recently, but if this new device prevents the safe use of the towpath by a disabled person on a disabilty scooter or in a wheelchair, it is probably in breach of their agreement with the Local Authority, who helped to fund the widening and surfacing of the towpath, for public access

When I was Clerk to the Local Council I "persuaderd" BW to remove several new access stiles between Avoncliffe and Dundas, and replace them with gates for exactly the same reason.

Edited by David Schweizer

If anyone has a spanner to hand it is secured by 4 bolts

wtf. that's mental.

And meanwhile, the Bath flight deteriorates beyond repair....

Not only mental, but imagine cycling/walking into that at night! Its just about right for a knee capping.

I'm sure we'll see it on someone's boat soon as a trophy........... He he he

Trophy - don't you mean "rubbish", to be returned to its owner at the next suitable location - say dredging waste barge.

One wouldn't want to be accused of theft after all.

Bollards seem to bring out some very anti social feeling in some people , TAKE IT AWAY , VANDALISE IT BECAUSE I THINK ITS MENTAL , DAMN MONEY COULD BE BETTER SPENT ELSEWHERE, IDIOTS WILL BUMP INTO IT AND HURT THEMSELVES , SOMEONE WILL ROB IT ,SUCH FUN ,DONT LIKE IT TAKE IT DOWN AND DUMP IN WORK BOAT , all suggestions by normally well behaved boaters , its fun to read the outraged from towpath comments but what is it about bollards that send people to the wild side.

Glad to see alan fincher has not joined in .

You might find the smell is caused because a bollard being installed gets people to talk poo ,it is quite funny that some of the people who claim to be commited to the well being of the waterways suddenly turn turtle at the sight of a new bollard and call for acts of vandalism , instead of trying to look clever maybe you can just explain why you yourself seem to be against the installation without even having any explanation as to its purpose .

You might find the smell is caused because a bollard being installed gets people to talk poo ,it is quite funny that some of the people who claim to be commited to the well being of the waterways suddenly turn turtle at the sight of a new bollard and call for acts of vandalism , instead of trying to look clever maybe you can just explain why you yourself seem to be against the installation without even having any explanation as to its purpose .

I phoned BW to enquire why it was there, it seems to serve little purpose save to pose a massive safety risk to towpath users.

Have you seen it?

I stopped to see how securely attached it was and confirm that it is getting more and more wobbly.

It would be better if BW removed it of their own accord or replaced with something large enough for users to see, but...

I for one am looking forward to hitting it with my bike in the dark.

Where theres blame theres a claim

I have an answer back from BW which I have copied here. Please can I have some feedback about what if anything I should reply with.

I still think that having a random post in an otherwise unobstructed path is unacceptable, but what would suitable alternatives be?

Dear Mr Doran

I’m sorry to hear that you have an issue with the recently installed bollard at Dundas Aqueduct. I understand that you would like further information on the decision making process that has led to its installation in the current location. Please find below a summary of this:

· During the winter months earlier this year it became apparent that vehicles had been driving over the aqueduct unauthorised. We were concerned for the safety of the people doing this, and the potential conflict between the normal users of the towpath (pedestrians and cyclists). To reduce the risks we decided to install a lockable bollard to enable British Waterways are able to control who has access. This is now limited to British Waterways and the adjacent land owners.

· At this time, it is not possible to permanently restrict access, because of this we needed a facility that would allow pedestrians and cyclists to pass freely, prevent unauthorised vehicles from passing and be opened quickly and easily as and when required.

· We considered 2 options 1) a chicane gate (similar to what is used to gain access onto the Sustrans cycle path) or a removable bollard.

· We decided to use a removable bollard as we felt that it would have the minimum restriction on pedestrians and cyclists at this busy location.

· We decided to use a drop down bollard as it’s simple to operate single handed. The alternative socket type bollards have a tendency to fill with grit and water and can be heavy to lift.

· The yellow colour of the bollard was chosen to maximise its visibility.

· The location of the bollard was chosen for a number of reasons a) so that it was visible at the end of the access track to prevent vehicles from passing over the lift bridge, B) as there is good visibility to the bollard for pedestrians and cyclists from whatever direction the bollard is approached from, and c) to minimise the impact on the designated parking areas adjacent to the lift bridge.

I would be interested to know what your specific concerns are regarding the installation / location of the bollard?

I would also be happy to discuss any improvements that could be implemented to mitigate your concerns? It may be useful for us to meet on site to discuss the issues in person; if so, what would be a suitable date / time for you?

Regards

Richard Leigh

Principal Waterway Engineer