Knauf Fireshield...

Featured Posts

OK so I was looking in Wickes for some master board/cement board to use behind our stove and only found this stuff called Knauf Fireshield, the guy in Wickes seemed to Think it was the right stuff so I bought some. Its a big 8 by 4 sheet and looks just like plaster board and was next to all the other sheets of erm... plasterboard and i'm afraid I might have just purchased, you guessed it, plasterboard... I says it has superior fire resistance and I've tried looking up all the technical data of it online but i still cant fathom out if it is the same stuff as master/cement board. Can anyone shed light on this??

Thanks

OK so I was looking in Wickes for some master board/cement board to use behind our stove and only found this stuff called Knauf Fireshield, the guy in Wickes seemed to Think it was the right stuff so I bought some. Its a big 8 by 4 sheet and looks just like plaster board and was next to all the other sheets of erm... plasterboard and i'm afraid I might have just purchased, you guessed it, plasterboard... I says it has superior fire resistance and I've tried looking up all the technical data of it online but i still cant fathom out if it is the same stuff as master/cement board. Can anyone shed light on this??

Thanks

The question is how much did you pay? for this board it should have given you a clue!! did you ask a Saturday Helper?

... i still cant fathom out if it is the same stuff as master/cement board.

It's not. It's a fire-resistant plasterboard.

That doesn't mean that it would be unsuitable for your purposes though; someone else more knowledgeable would need to comment on that aspect.

Tony

That doesn't mean that it would be unsuitable for your purposes though; someone else more knowledgeable would need to comment on that aspect.

Tony

It would be interesting to get a definitive answer - it's a lot cheaper than other alternatives.

Tony

Looking at the data sheet posted earlier, the various options give a maximum of 2 hours fire resistance. I suspect that may not be enough to protect any wood behind from charring.

David