Never been boating before, thinking of next year.....

Squishy

Featured Posts

Thanks, once again, for all the help. it is being read, remembered and stored for future use too :wacko:

Does anyone have any recommendations for other companies (ie other than Hoseasons) Either large or small outfits that hire out boats? I don't want to restrict myself just to them.

Thanks, once again, for all the help. it is being read, remembered and stored for future use too :wacko:

Does anyone have any recommendations for other companies (ie other than Hoseasons) Either large or small outfits that hire out boats? I don't want to restrict myself just to them.

You should buy Waterways World or Canal Boat magazines now and then, they are packed with ads for hire boat companies and of course Boats for Sale for when you really catch the bug.

Hi Squishy

Just 'google'................"canal boat holidays" include quotaton marks and 24,000 hits will appear not read them all but on the first page are many well known hire companys.

Personally I always used 'Alvechurch' they have bases on many parts of the system.

Notice the used caught the bug, boat on order.

As the mother of four (adult) sons, I understand your concern about your 10-year-old being bored.

There were times when only one of our children was out of school at holiday time. Our solution was to bring along a friend for him. Even when we had all four of our boys with us, the youngest often felt left out of the group, so we would let him bring a buddy. The minor expense of taking another child is well worth it!

If you pack a good assortment of games and amusements such as fishing poles and nets on long poles for grabbing things out of the water, they will basically entertain themselves all day long.

Have a wonderful holiday!

Allie

Yep, I meant Lancaster :wacko: Thanks John!

Personally, I would choose where I want to go first, then look at what hire bases/companies are available along the route.

Ones I can recommend:

- Kate Boats, Warwick ( http://www.kateboats.co.uk )

- Shire Cruisers, Sowerby Bridge ( http://www.shirecruisers.co.uk )

- Rose Narrowboats, Stretton-on-Dunsmore ( http://www.rose-narrowboats.co.uk )

I've used all of the above before, no problem.

Jon

Edited by Jon

I'm sure my lad wouldn't be bored (don't think I said I was worried about that in my posts?) He'd be happy with a fishing net, or just steering the boat :lol:

Does anybody please know of someone in the Lancaster, Carnforth type area that would hire us out a canal boat for the day? The only places I can find do weeks or short breaks only, or only hire cruisers :wacko:

Alternatively, if there's any kind soul in that area that would consider letting us just come aboard and have a wee look at their boat, that would be amazing :lol: We've never seen inside one and have no idea (other than from photos) what they're like.

Try looking at Canal Junction www.canaljunction.co.uk and click on holidays to give you some idea of the hire companies.

Boating Days www.boatingdays.co.uk do a day boat and are based at Acton Bridge near Northwich.

I live close to the Norfolk Broads and have taken my two (9 and 13) but they much prefer the canal system as there's lots more for them to do. You'll also find that on the Broads all the popular moorings (ie the ones close to any pubs!) are taken up very quickly.

The great thing we've found is that there are far more places to moor up overnight near a good family pub on the canal than the Broads. Of course you could just moor out in the open and enjoy the peace and quiet.

I thought that I would be bored but I can honestly say that after our first short break many years ago I was hooked and we now have a canal holiday every year and hope to buy one - eventually... The fact that you can steer at the back of the boat, watch the view go past whilst the kids are inside or up the front is very relaxing. In a crusier you are usually at the front in the cabin with all the hullabaloo that entails... :)

Notice the used caught the bug, boat on order.

This is a very serious warning.

I went once and got hooked. I took 'me bloke' the next time and now all he does is look at broker's sites. There is a pile Waterworld magazines in the bathroom which he leaves open at 'dream boats' for me to comment on and doodles layouts on post-it notes and leaves on the computer.

Chrissie

We hired a boat on the Kennet & Avon canal before we took the plunge and bought Baron. It was an old boat, from Sally boats in Bradford on Avon, but it was clean, well kept and we didn't half enjoy it !

Great cruising, super pubs and things to see (Dundas Aqueduct / Bath etc).

www.sallyboats.co.uk

Where we are moored at Norbury on the Shropshire Union, Simon Jenkins hires out his small fleet of boats. They are comfortable (from what I have seen) and homely. My parents are taking Baron out in April, and their friends have hired off Simon - so I will be able to tell you more when they come back !

www.norburywharf.co.uk

:):):)

• 5 weeks later...

:blink: We had our first narrowboat holiday aboard a 30ft Springer from Chas Hardern five years ago and had a fabulous time from start to finish. Great company to hire from - traditional boats but clean and good value.

We followed this with a Broads holiday which parden the pun, didn't float our boat. Expensive to moor, dull scenary and too busy with chaos boaters.

Bought our own boat in 2002 and never looked back. Definately recommend the Llangollen for a first time but avoid school holidays. Leeds and Liverpool is also great and very easy.

Edited by rjholt

Fantastic replies, and all much appreciated :cheers: Thank you.

Have persuaded hubby to go for a narrowboat than a cruiser- yay!

OK - any recommendations for where to go for a first timer? Or maybe even where NOT to go?

:blink: Hi Squish,

If you are looking for a weeks cruise try hiring a boat from the Ashby Canal Hire Boat Company (Hoseasons) & Stoke Golding Leicestershire. You can first practice you're boat handling skills

on the 22 miles of lock free canal, then venture out on to the Coventry canal to Hawkesbury where

you will pass through a stop lock (only about 12" drop in water level) that will get you in practice for

the three locks at Hillmorton on the Oxford Canal then you can proceed to Braunston & Napton - lock free.

Nice & easy for you're first holiday. So only eight locks in all on a week round trip.

Hope this suggestion is of some help to you!

then venture out on to the Coventry canal to Hawkesbury where

you will pass through a stop lock (only about 12" drop in water level) that will get you in practice for

the three locks at Hillmorton on the Oxford Canal then you can proceed to Braunston & Napton - lock free.

hehe...you don't even get a 12" drop in water level more like 6 and a bit, difficult to decide if you suppose to be emptying or filling the lock