Filling in safety cert. online

kiki

Featured Posts

Hi Guys, have just passed our safety ....tadaaaa and were told by Guy Holding that we could enter the certificate number onto the BW website, but I have searched it flat and cant see where.

Any idea ?

If not any idea where I post it to - its either really poorly laid out or I am just not seeing it.

Thanks

OK so do I wait until my licence is due and then fill in that bit or do I have to give this bit to them now - assuming that Guy Holding has already sent the "pink bit" in - sorry to be ignorant of these things, its only our second one and I cant remember what we did last time.

OK so do I wait until my licence is due and then fill in that bit or do I have to give this bit to them now - assuming that Guy Holding has already sent the "pink bit" in - sorry to be ignorant of these things, its only our second one and I cant remember what we did last time.

Last year I just filled in the bit on the renewal and did not bother to send BW a copy and Hey Presto my new licence arrived.

Hi Guys, have just passed our safety ....tadaaaa and were told by Guy Holding that we could enter the certificate number onto the BW website, but I have searched it flat and cant see where.

Any idea ?

If not any idea where I post it to - its either really poorly laid out or I am just not seeing it.

Thanks

Guy is wrong. You must supply the blue copy to the navigation authority.

many thanks

Post it today, the authority will put it on file.

Rob from the BSS team

Edited by Rob@BSSOffice

Guy is wrong. You must supply the blue copy to the navigation authority.

many thanks

Post it today, the authority will put it on file.

Rob from the BSS team

In my case Guy was correct as I said before just put the details on the licence renewal form sent no copy to BW and my licence arrived. Seem to remember it asked for the date of test, the PIN number of the tester and the certificate number.

In my case Guy was correct

Blue copies must be sent to the navigation authority. Earlier this year, British Waterways asked us to remind BSS examiners that this is the process. Examiners have been reminded that this is the case in recent newsletters.

Until it is said otherwise, blue copies must go the navigation authority licensing/registration team. It is important to send the copy as soon as possible after you are given it.

Kind regards

Rob

Edited by Rob@BSSOffice

Blue copies must be sent to the navigation authority. earlier this year, British Waterways asked us to remind BSS examiners that this is the process. Examiners have been reminded that this is the case in recent newsletters.

Until it is said otherwise, blue copies must go the navigation authority licensing/registration team. It is important to send the copy as soon as possible after you are given it.

Kind regards

Rob

fair enough. Like gibbo the problem might start when I renew this year as they do not have a copy.

fair enough. Like gibbo the problem might start when I renew this year as they do not have a copy.

Yes I understand, we take some of the calls from concerned boat owners on our number. It is our current mission to help navigation authority licensing and registration teams to smooth this process. Wish me well.

Regards

Rob from the BSS team

Yes I understand, we take some of the calls from concerned boat owners on our number. It is our current mission to help navigation authority licensing and registration teams to smooth this process. Wish me well.

Regards

Rob from the BSS team

I posted the blue copy of my latest BSC to BW Leeds on 29 July 2011.

On the same day I also sent an email to enquiries.hq@britishwaterways.co.uk asking for confirmation of receipt. So far I haven't received a reply. I am not holding my breath. Should I chase them up?

Phil

I'll just add... After telling them they were completely incompetent and that I had circumstancial evidence that they had lost several hundred other blue copy BSS certs, BW miraculously found mine and sent me my licence. But it wasn't without a fight.

Blue copies must be sent to the navigation authority. Earlier this year, British Waterways asked us to remind BSS examiners that this is the process. Examiners have been reminded that this is the case in recent newsletters.

Kind regards

Rob

I hung onto mine until it was time to renew the license and sent it with the license renewal. BW made no complaint about this and the license was renewed o.k.

I did consider sending the blue copy when it was issued but thought the chance of BW misplacing it was too high!

Regards

Ditchdabbler

When mine was last due I sent the blue copy in and renewed my license at the same time, no problem. The next year I was not allowed to renew my license on line or by phone, because they said they had no blue copy of the BSS. I pointed out that I had renewed my license the year before so they must have had it, but they wouldn't budge until I faxed them a photocopy (which, of course, wasn't blue). I almost lost my prompt payment discount. Confirmation of receipt sounds like a good idea to me.

I hung onto mine until it was time to renew the license and sent it with the license renewal. BW made no complaint about this and the license was renewed o.k.

You have fooled yourself. That's exactly what I did. The following year they had no record of the new BSS (despite the fact that they must have known they'd had it otherwise the previous year's licence would not have been issued).

When mine was last due I sent the blue copy in and renewed my license at the same time, no problem. The next year I was not allowed to renew my license on line or by phone, because they said they had no blue copy of the BSS. I pointed out that I had renewed my license the year before so they must have had it, but they wouldn't budge until I faxed them a photocopy (which, of course, wasn't blue). I almost lost my prompt payment discount. Confirmation of receipt sounds like a good idea to me.

I think BW admin must be very inflexible. When I bought my boat she still had a couple of years left on the Boat Safety Cert but a recently expired license. When I tried to license it I was asked for a copy of the cerificate. I pointed out that the previous owner had already sent in the blue copy because a license had been issued more than twelve months after the certificate issue date. BW accepted the point but still insisted that I send them a photocopy of the certificate handed to me by the previous owner. It was less trouble to send the photocopy than continue to argue the point!

Regards

Ditchdabbler

I think BW admin must be very inflexible. When I bought my boat she still had a couple of years left on the Boat Safety Cert but a recently expired license. When I tried to license it I was asked for a copy of the cerificate. I pointed out that the previous owner had already sent in the blue copy because a license had been issued more than twelve months after the certificate issue date. BW accepted the point but still insisted that I send them a photocopy of the certificate handed to me by the previous owner. It was less trouble to send the photocopy than continue to argue the point!

I must be on your ignore list!