Ooops!! again......

Roxy

Featured Posts

Orange do pay as you go mobiles for £9 and £13. If the phone is likely to be knackered is it worth just fishing it out with a magnet? Or would that kill the SIM?

AFAIK, the SIM contains non-volatile RAM (like a memory card), which is a lot more resistant to magnetic fields than the magnetic strips used on credit cards, etc.

The biggest problem with using a magnet is that phones don't generally contain much, if any ferromagnetic material, and therefore the magnet won't be able to lift them out.

....he's also bilged my bottom out, (I couldnt work out why no water was coming out until he told me the bilge was upside down!!) told you I was thick :lol: but he said Ive seen much worse, mended little bits and also showed me how to tie knots...

I queried this earlier, and I suspect that WotEver's suggestion is correct. To teach grandmothers to suck eggs, or alternatively to avoid potential embarrassment in future Roxy - the bit of hull which is almost certainly flat and forms the bottom of the boat is generally called "the bottom". If you lift up a bit of the floor you stand on you will probably see it, and the space between the floors and the boat's bottom is known as the bilge. You don't generally expect to have water there, but it can happen in the bits of boat outside of the accomodation (or if you have a leak!), and boats mostly have a bilge pump there to get rid of it. Bilging your bottom out sounds like a very painful medical procedure.

Edited by Tam & Di

I haven't a clue why, just know they do. We have a magnetic phone holder on the dash of the car and both of our mobiles will stick to it when the battery area is over it.

That's interesting.

I may have to play around with a magnet and a couple of old mobile batteries, just to see what happens.

It does suggest that a magnet may be a viable solution to the problem of retrieving a mobile that's fallen into the water.

Put your phone onto the ''vibrate alert'' mode,pop it into a jam jar,screw the lid on tight.Tie a loop of string around the top and ware it like a necklace.When someone rings you,it all buzzes about in the jar like a big Bumble bee and so brings it to your attention.And if it does fall in the drink,will float and become a proper message in a bottle.bizzard

Put your phone onto the ''vibrate alert'' mode,pop it into a jam jar,screw the lid on tight.Tie a loop of string around the top and ware it like a necklace.When someone rings you,it all buzzes about in the jar like a big Bumble bee and so brings it to your attention.And if it does fall in the drink,will float and become a proper message in a bottle.bizzard

Bizzard you always make me smile lmao!!!! May do that in future.....

Just to let you all know I now have my phone back. When I got up yesterday morning I popped my head over the side of the boat and could see it on the bottom of the canal. I had a go with the landing net to try and get it off the bottom, but it was wedged inbetween some rocks. My neighbour came to me a bit later and donned his wetsuit and went in. I got my sim card out and put it in an old nokia phone of his. My old phone is drying out in the airing cupboard.