Where to moor in Manchester....

Featured Posts

Suggestions please.

Jan wants to meet up with a friend as we pass through Manchester, needs to be as near the city centre as poss. and of course as far as possible as any one can suggest safe.

Ideas Welcome..

Hi there

Im new here so firstly, welcome me! I live in manchester city centre and currently in the process of buying my first canal boat. There are some temporary moorings down at Castlefield where people moor up and you can't get closer to the city centre than that!

Hope that helps :)

Hi there

Im new here so firstly, welcome me! I live in manchester city centre and currently in the process of buying my first canal boat. There are some temporary moorings down at Castlefield where people moor up and you can't get closer to the city centre than that!

If you have just come up the horrible Rochdale nine.Turn right under the buildings,just as you come out there are some moorings on the right.Its quite secure.But that also means its a bit of a job getting out of this mooring to go shopping.Alternativly after coming under the buildings carry on left under the road bridge.Turn left. There are quite safe off tow path moorings on the right.Right outside some nice respectable looking houses/flats.We've moored on both,and found it to be safe.Plus you can get to the city from there.

Hope that helps........Dave

Moor at Castlefield basin.

You can walk into town or use the free bus service which stops outside the DeansGate railway station, about 5mins walk away. The free buses go all over the place. They have 3 colours demarkating different routes.

Castlefield has water and toilet elsan disposal point.

The top of the Rochdale 9 locks, is full of litter.

Castlefield, at the bottom, is clean.

Suggestions please.

Jan wants to meet up with a friend as we pass through Manchester, needs to be as near the city centre as poss. and of course as far as possible as any one can suggest safe.

Ideas Welcome..

If you are approaching Manchester on the Bridgewater Canal you will see the Rochdale Nine bottom lock gates in front of you, take the right arm and there are moorings on both sides and ample room to turn at the end.

Steve

There are some temporary moorings down at Castlefield where people moor up and you can't get closer to the city centre than that!

You can moor there for as long as you like.............. No hassle from BW because they don't control it. I spent 3 weeks in Castlefield and spoke to a few boaters that have been there for over a year on a BW licence.

Great spot.

You can moor there for as long as you like.............. No hassle from BW because they don't control it. I spent 3 weeks in Castlefield and spoke to a few boaters that have been there for over a year on a BW licence.

Great spot.

Who does control it then? That's interesting with me just going thru buying my new canal boat now and already living in manchester city centre.... Dont they get hassle from whoever does control it then?

Who does control it then? That's interesting with me just going thru buying my new canal boat now and already living in manchester city centre.... Dont they get hassle from whoever does control it then?

It certainly appears that the Bridgewater Canal Co, which is part of the Manchester Ship Canal Co, which is part of Peel Holdings, do not seem too concerned by boats spending years moored at Castlefield. There is an official limit of one week for any boat that is not registered to be kept on the Bridgewater and that limit applies to the whole length of the canal. There are no other specified limits for how long a boat can stay in Castlefield that I am aware of.

I assumed it was because there was always plenty of room there and a few boats made it more attractive so nobody bothered about them. The basin does get very busy though these days and sooner or later Peel will probably start to enforce their regulations.

Edited by journeyperson

It certainly appears that the Bridgewater Canal Co, which is part of the Manchester Ship Canal Co, which is part of Peel Holdings, do not seem too concerned by boats spending years moored at Castlefield. There is an official limit of one week for any boat that is not registered to be kept on the Bridgewater and that limit applies to the whole length of the canal. There are no other specified limits for how long a boat can stay in Castlefield that I am aware of.

I assumed it was because there was always plenty of room there and a few boats made it more attractive so nobody bothered about them. The basin does get very busy though these days and sooner or later Peel will probably start to enforce their regulations.

Haha, so you're NOT supposed to be there any more than a week but some people have been there years?! LOVE IT!

Haha, so you're NOT supposed to be there any more than a week but some people have been there years?! LOVE IT!

Being from Manchester you may be aware of Peels reputation for hard-headed high-handedness (if such a thing is possible) when developing their land and property and it surprises me that there aren't mooring meters there already.

It certainly appears that the Bridgewater Canal Co, which is part of the Manchester Ship Canal Co,

Thanks for this John - until you posted this I hadn't appreciated it wasn't a waterway under the jurisdiction of BW, I couldn't work out why I couldn't find a boaters guide on Waterscape to help with my trip planning but this explains it.

But have you seen this mooring restriction in Castlefield, posted by Liam?

Mmmmmm - by my calcs. that would be when about we would have hit Manchester -

does anybody know any alternatives???

Mmmmmm - by my calcs. that would be when about we would have hit Manchester -

does anybody know any alternatives???

That only relates to the two small basins over near Liverpool Road. Most people moor along the arm to the south which will still be open, along with the towpath side as it enters Castlefield. A few boats seem to moor permanently in the two small basins and they will probably move over to the other side during the restriction but you should still find room to moor. Have a look at the map in Liam's link

Edited to change East to South.

Edited by journeyperson

That only relates to the two small basins over near Liverpool Road. Most people moor along the arm to the south which will still be open, along with the towpath side as it enters Castlefield. A few boats seem to moor permanently in the two small basins and they will probably move over to the other side during the restriction but you should still find room to moor. Have a look at the map in Liam's link

Edited to change East to South.

Cheers - I've had a scoot about on Google earth and looked at the map Liam linked to and it does look to be a very small part of the overall available space.

Edited by MJG