No buses today!

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

Local authorities received notice late yesterday evening (4th August) that Geoff Amos Coaches have ceased to trade. The family business started in the 1950s by providing a simple worker's bus service for local people from Woodford Halse and the surrounding villages to the factories in Rugby. For many years the company has provided the really useful 'Great Central ConneXion' which consisted of an hourly service in each direction, throughout the day, between Rugby and Banbury - serving Dunchurch, Olney, Braunston and Daventry in addition to villages previously served by stations on the route of the former railway. This year the service has been diverted to include a stop near the canal at Cropredy and this has been much appreciated by boaters.

It is understood that meetings have taken place to arrange for buses between Banbury and Daventry to be operated by Stagecoach Group plc and the proposal is that, initially, these will follow the same route, timetable and fare structure previously established by Geoff Amos Coaches. Unfortunately, the present service ceased to be viable following recent cuts in council subsidies and unless these subsidies are restored for the benefit of the new operator, it is more than likely that the Stagecoach Group will soon reduce the level of service.

The following links provide supporting information:

http://www.wardington.net/2011/08/very-urgent-news-re-the-bus-service/

http://www.daventryexpress.co.uk/news/local/confusion_after_buses_stop_running_1_2937849

Ah yes, however on Sunday, the Cambridge Guided Busway opens!

5195-l.jpg

We had one of them in Brum for a bit, but we got rid of it because it was rubbish

Richard

Good God , What the hell is that ? It looks dangerous and would cost a fortune in replacement wheels i would imagine ! Why does a Bus need to be on a guided track ? Don't they trust the drivers to be able to drive in a straightish line ? :wacko: :wacko:

Good God , What the hell is that ? It looks dangerous and would cost a fortune in replacement wheels i would imagine ! Why does a Bus need to be on a guided track ? Don't they trust the drivers to be able to drive in a straightish line ? :wacko: :wacko:

No, the idea is that the bus is following a track that cars can not. There are little guide wheels that take over the steering

far from dangerous, it is very safe indeed

Our governments do not like railways and will stoop to any trick to find ways of replacing them . . .

No, the idea is that the bus is following a track that cars can not. There are little guide wheels that take over the steering

far from dangerous, it is very safe indeed

Ah, right ! Guide wheels on a double decker though ? Wonder why Brum got rid of them if they are so safe ? Having lived in Cambridge for a while, i can only say ' I'm not surprised' ! lol

Local authorities received notice late yesterday evening (4th August) that Geoff Amos Coaches have ceased to trade. The family business started in the 1950s by providing a simple worker's bus service for local people from Woodford Halse and the surrounding villages to the factories in Rugby. For many years the company has provided the really useful 'Great Central ConneXion' which consisted of an hourly service in each direction, throughout the day, between Rugby and Banbury - serving Dunchurch, Olney, Braunston and Daventry in addition to villages previously served by stations on the route of the former railway. This year the service has been diverted to include a stop near the canal at Cropredy and this has been much appreciated by boaters.

It is understood that meetings have taken place to arrange for buses between Banbury and Daventry to be operated by Stagecoach Group plc and the proposal is that, initially, these will follow the same route, timetable and fare structure previously established by Geoff Amos Coaches. Unfortunately, the present service ceased to be viable following recent cuts in council subsidies and unless these subsidies are restored for the benefit of the new operator, it is more than likely that the Stagecoach Group will soon reduce the level of service.

http://www.daventryexpress.co.uk/news/local/confusion_after_buses_stop_running_1_2937849

That is very sad news. I have been a regular user of the Geoff Amos service for more nearly fifteen years, enabling me to move the boat substantial distances, and get back to the car, or train. The drivers were very friendly and the fares very reasonable for a long distance service. I hope, for the sake of the many small communities they served, that the service can be maintained.

Ah, right ! Guide wheels on a double decker though ? Wonder why Brum got rid of them if they are so safe ? Having lived in Cambridge for a while, i can only say ' I'm not surprised' ! lol

From what I remember, the result of the guided bus experiment was - bus lanes. Bus drivers are very good at steering buses

Richard

There you go, steered straight into the hole missing the kerb completely :P

Richard

I was thinking it was because there was a car parked just beyond the bridge hole...

That is very sad news. I have been a regular user of the Geoff Amos service for more nearly fifteen years, enabling me to move the boat substantial distances, and get back to the car, or train. The drivers were very friendly and the fares very reasonable for a long distance service. I hope, for the sake of the many small communities they served, that the service can be maintained.

The 'Great Central ConneXion' was much better than the average replacement bus service serving those affected by a railway closure. With ten or eleven buses a day in each direction it provided a big improvement on the Rugby to Banbury railway service (closed in 1966) which only had two trains in each direction at the end*. The improved frequency and convenience made the much slower journey by bus more than just acceptable.

*Prior to 1964, there were a few more services but these required a change of train at Woodford Halse and even then, those travelling to or from rural stations had a very meagre service.

This is startling news. We were in Cropredy last weekend (securing a good mooring for the impending Festival) and I saw Geoff Amos buses passing through the village. Was the company's demise expected?

This is startling news. We were in Cropredy last weekend (securing a good mooring for the impending Festival) and I saw Geoff Amos buses passing through the village. Was the company's demise expected?

We knew they were struggling with the effects of increased fuel costs and reductions in council susidies but the sudden end was not expected.

There have been a few 'Stagecoach' buses on the route today but timings have been somewhat irregular - there is growing confidence that 'Stagecoach' will take over the route.

Having worked fir Stagecoach I can assure you that if a service does not make money they will not run it.

Our governments do not like railways and will stoop to any trick to find ways of replacing them . . .

I think Graham I would say (as a Transport Planner) our Governments do not like public transport full stop. They subsidise it reluctantly in London because they realise the capital would fail without it, but elsewhere, yer on yer own.

European Countries use rail and and underground and tram and guided bus and conventional bus and demand responsive bus. I recall years ago (1986 I think) trying to get from Brussels to Ronquierres in Belgium, based on information published in 1972. I didn't know the railway to Ronquierres had closed, the ticket office guy didn't know I thought there was such a railway, but I got my ticket, change to bus at Brain-le-Comte.

I believe Essen in Germany has the full house, bus, tram, underground, guided busway...

Guided busways have their place, but we seem to see them as innovative, they are old hat. Adelaide in Australia had one 40 years ago.

• Greenie 1

I believe Essen in Germany has the full house, bus, tram, underground, guided busway...

Guided busways have their place, but we seem to see them as innovative, they are old hat. Adelaide in Australia had one 40 years ago.

The one in Adelaide opened 27 years ago, it was a mistake, all plans to extend the network were dropped and tram network expanded instead. The only reason it is still open is that the City does not want to admit that it was a mistake. The one in ESSEN (The only one in Germany)was a tram line that was converted to a busway for the benfit of a magor city company (Benz Buses) to showcase their products, The factory has since been moved to Poland. Less than ten of this type have been built around the world and half of those have been closed since.

Firesprite

In the Office (Only 31 mins by nice safe train with being able to take hot drinks and food on the train plus a loo, Far better than a unsafe misguided bus)

Ah yes, however on Sunday, the Cambridge Guided Busway opens!

5195-l.jpg

We had one of them in Brum for a bit, but we got rid of it because it was rubbish

Richard

I give it 2 years! Shame they ripped up a perfectly good railway to build this. I don't think anyone can point at one of these that has been successful. :banghead:

the tracline 65 route in Birmingham was an experimental guideway of around a mile at the outer end of the route, it worked reasonably well but was expensive to maintain as there were only a few buses fitted with the guide equipment. the end result was they were withdrawn in a similar way as the hymek and western locomotives because they were non standard and therefore more costly, the safety of the buses was never an issue and the trackway was designed to allow an approach of some 25mph although in service 15 was the norm once in the guides the buse could travel at around 40mph. Birmingham has had its share of experiments the tracline and the maglev at the airport being 2 of them.

the tracline 65 route in Birmingham was an experimental guideway of around a mile at the outer end of the route, it worked reasonably well but was expensive to maintain as there were only a few buses fitted with the guide equipment. the end result was they were withdrawn in a similar way as the hymek and western locomotives because they were non standard and therefore more costly, the safety of the buses was never an issue and the trackway was designed to allow an approach of some 25mph although in service 15 was the norm once in the guides the buse could travel at around 40mph. Birmingham has had its share of experiments the tracline and the maglev at the airport being 2 of them.

According to the article I read, a rival company wanted to set up on the same route but wouldn't pay for the guide equipment. So there would have been parallel bus stops on the same route - guided and non-guided

As I said earlier, it appears that the outcome of the experiment was the development of bus lanes

Richard

Edited by RLWP