Change of Plan

johnmck

Featured Posts

Hiya.

Yesterday we left Warwick and ascended the Hatton flight. Boy was it hot.! We met only a handful of boats coming down, but the majority of locks were in our favour. Initially we waited, and waited at the bottom of the flight for company to share the burden and save water. Nothing was moving up. When a boat appeared in the bottom lock, we commenced the climb. Must admit, ascending with a single boat is less stressful. Only one paddle to operate and one gate to open. Opening the paddle on the same side as the boat made life so easy. 3 1/4 hours later we had done it. Whew...

Today we arrived at Kingswood junction. The intention was to travel south to Stratford. Having watched the boat ahead of us stuck solid in the first lock and being told by a walker that the following 10 locks were the same, we changed plans. Deep joy, ascending the Lapworth flight was hard work, but we moved with ease and now can be found moored in a reasonable depth of water at Warings Green.

Tomorrow we head towarda the top of the Tardebigge flight, but will lay up for a day before descending towards Worcester and up the Severn.

Is it just me, or are boats on the move something of a rare species this year?

Heading west and north now with the hope of a little more water below rather than upon the boat.

:cheers:

Hi

We travelled to Oxford, and back last week and was suprised just how little traffic we met. Apart from the honey spots such as Cropredy, Thrupp and Banbury that is, but we found moorings at all locations even then....Strange year.

John.

I must admit, traffic past us at Weedon on the GU has been something of a rarity, Norman who has had the yard since 67' has said he hasn't seen it this quiet in a number of years. I am blaming that and the lack of rain for the problems we are having trying to move the 70' RW Davis shell, CONSTANTLY stuck...

Enjoy the North Stratford, you will be passing where I live, Dickens Heath, shortly after you set off. You are not going to see many boats though.

On Saturday early evening took the dog for a walk round the towpath, and saw 4 boats (shocked), 2 moored and 2 moving. It did make me laugh though, one of the moored one (and ex-ownerships share boat I believe) had a disposable bbq going in the middle of the towpath with steaks on it. Now you try getting a dog past that.

Another forum member, based on Tring summit, told us today he had seldom seen as many boats heading South on the lower Grand Union.

I guess it's possible they read the forum, and are trying to head somewhere that hasn't received a lot of attention for being low on water ?

If you fancy a diversion Mikron are performing at the Weighbridge at Alvechurch tonight, starts 7.30. You'll spot our purple boat, wind genny atop the roof & you'll be fine mooring behind us.

We might even tempt team Odana out to play...

Edited by Smelly

If you fancy a diversion Mikron are performing at the Weighbridge at Alvechurch tonight, starts 7.30. You'll spot our purple boat, wind genny atop the roof & you'll be fine mooring behind us.

We might even tempt team Odana out to play...

Hi

Only just read your post and now moored just below the first lock on the Tardebigge flight !!! Off down in the morning then hoping to find secure moorings in Worcester in order to play catch up with a few of lifes chores. Bloody knee knackered, so not even a pint tonight as the 2 mile walk down the flight, then back would finish it off for sure.

Sorry to miss the chance to meet up.

John Mck