Blacking....

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

Hi...

Need to black our 60 foot boat with Comastic...

Booking a dry dock...

With me and me missus working on it...how long do you reckon it would take....with us pressure washing it first ?

Applying 2 coats...how many 5 litre tins do you think we would need....

All replies gratefully received.....tah...

Bob

Hi...

Booking a dry dock...

With me and me missus working on it...how long do you reckon it would take....with us pressure washing it first ?

Bob

Half a day a coat, you may be able to get the first one on late in the first day if you pressure wash early and it gets dry

We got a coat on our 57ft boat in 2hrs, (doing a side each). Spent an hour or so first sanding off any rusty bits.

We used bitumen so, don't know if applying comastic takes longer.

3 coats applied, (15 ltrs or 3 tins with, an extra coat on the water line..

We used brushes for the rubbing strakes, (gets into the corners better), and small rollers for the big areas as the large rollers make your arms ache, especially at the end of 57ft!

Our pressure wash was carried out by the marina which, took about 2hrs..

androo

Edited by Androo

Half a day a coat, you may be able to get the first one on late in the first day if you pressure wash early and it gets dry

Two five litres will do you fine, power wash off and let dry overnight. Don't sand off rusty bits (polishes and doesn't give good adhesion), just scrape it off, The power washer should really take everything off if it is powerful enough. An hour a coat is realistic for two of you. Comastic can be re-coated very quickly, can't remember exactly see the spec sheet. The important thing is to let it cure properly before going back in the water. Recommended is 48 hrs, sorry folks that is a four day docking. With an early morning docking and warm weather then it would be possible to get the two coats on in the first day, so could reduce it to a three day dock.

It does what it says on the tin..... providing you read the tin/ spec sheet.

Cheers

A

Hi...

Booking a dry dock...

Bob

I wouldn't use a roller on the rough stuff,water line and below,They tend to roll over pits and trap air,which next day will probably be found popped, maybe if its rolled dead slowly,but then you might as well use a brush.I use a 4''brush on the rough stuff and work the bitumen into the pits properly.okay to roll on the smooth surfaces. bizzard.

Rolling the paint on will save time as you can apply a lot of paint quickly, but I would brush it in immediately after rolling, if there's 2 of you one roll and one follow with a brush it works well.

I don't think time comes into it.You need to wait 20-24 hrs between coats anyway. And surely both working on seperate sides with brushes will do the job in more or less the same time. Having just done two widebeams solo in the last three weeks,i can do the whole boat by brush in 5-6 hours and properly. Bitumen attacks the sponge rollers badly,rag is better.Always lay off downwards with brush to avoid nasty sags and runs. bizzard.

I don't think time comes into it.You need to wait 20-24 hrs between coats anyway. And surely both working on seperate sides with brushes will do the job in more or less the same time. Having just done two widebeams solo in the last three weeks,i can do the whole boat by brush in 5-6 hours and properly. Bitumen attacks the sponge rollers badly,rag is better.Always lay off downwards with brush to avoid nasty sags and runs. bizzard.

Me and Lynn last year painted one side 60f/t bow to stern in a little over an hour with Lynn on roller and me on 5" brush.

I was pertaining to each coat and it's not so much time but effort.

A roller applies far more paint than a brush far quicker and more evenly, look at the roller as an applicator, a sponge roller isn't suitable anyway it's designed to hold paint and distribute it thinly, mohair will apply much thicker and evenly leaving plenty of paint to work in with the brush. As you dont have to keep reloading the paint brush you can get on much quicker and concentrate on working the paint in and laying off nicely.