Elecsol 115 Ah AGM Batteries

Bob Blues

Featured Posts

Hello,

I have to replace my batteries so i've been looking through the threads on here about batteries especialy "Cheep vs more expensive". I also intend to get a 200W Solar array so when I was looking through the Midsummerenergy website I see they do Elecsol 115 Ah AGM Solar Battery. The blurb says:

These are part of a newly released range of long-lasting batteries from Elecsol, designed specifically for solar energy and marine applications. They feature an exceptionally long 7-year warranty.

Measuring 328 x 172 x 222mm and weighing 30kg, these 115Ah batteries use carbon fibre technology, which helps to increase the cycle life over standard AGM or gel battery designs.

Are they worth it? Will they give me a better deep cell ratio over normal leisure batteries. These are nearly 200 each but I guess it they last 7 years they will pay for them self’s in 3 years. I don’t want to Screw these ones up and loose £800.

Batery Spec

It suggests that they have a 1200 cycle life and protected against deep discharge. Will I need to change anything if the Recommended Maximum Charging Current Limit is 30A the float voltage is 13.2V and the equalisation rate is 14.2 this is much lower than the batteries I have fitted now at 14.5v and 16.2

Any advice on what to do please ?

Bob B

Hello,

I have to replace my batteries so i've been looking through the threads on here about batteries especialy "Cheep vs more expensive". I also intend to get a 200W Solar array so when I was looking through the Midsummerenergy website I see they do Elecsol 115 Ah AGM Solar Battery. The blurb says:

Are they worth it? Will they give me a better deep cell ratio over normal leisure batteries. These are nearly 200 each but I guess it they last 7 years they will pay for them self’s in 3 years. I don’t want to Screw these ones up and loose £800.

Batery Spec

It suggests that they have a 1200 cycle life and protected against deep discharge. Will I need to change anything if the Recommended Maximum Charging Current Limit is 30A the float voltage is 13.2V and the equalisation rate is 14.2 this is much lower than the batteries I have fitted now at 14.5v and 16.2

Any advice on what to do please ?

Bob B

Yes - discount whatever the warranty is they quote and then see if they still look a good buy.

Next spend an time playing with the search function on this site.

I have no direct experience of them but there seem to be too many people end up unhappy with them because reality does not match up to the sales patter.

Batteries that get abused do not last and using batts on boats tends to abuse them a bit.

Conventional wisdom seems to be to get the cheapest no mark open lead acid batts you can find and see how you go with them.

You can pay more than two and three times the price with the same results.

If you still go for the Elcasols CWDF would love to know how you get on with them to see if you can buck the trend :o

The new Elecsols haven't been out long enough for anyone to have any sort of track record or experience with them.

The previous (normal wet cell) Elecsols were (again) expensive compared to other batteries and lasted no better or longer.

Ignore a battery warranty, it's practically worthless. All it covers is "faulty workmanship and materials" which has got nothing whatsoever to do with how long the battery lasts before it wears out.

The sales pitch suggests 1200 + Cycles against a 300 cycle for Lead acid which seams to give a 4-1 ratio

Just wondering if there was a straight swap with out altering anything. My Inverter Charger has a number of Programs for wet cold, wet warm, Gel cold and Gel warm. It was the low float voltage that made me question what I needed to do.

Thanks for all the constructive replies

Bob B

The sales pitch suggests 1200 + Cycles against a 300 cycle for Lead acid which seams to give a 4-1 ratio

Just wondering if there was a straight swap with out altering anything. My Inverter Charger has a number of Programs for wet cold, wet warm, Gel cold and Gel warm. It was the low float voltage that made me question what I needed to do.

Bob B

You will only achieve 1200 cycles if you can in some way recharge your batteries to close on 100% each time you discharge them - say 99.5%)because any part of the plate material that is left uncharged will gradually alter its properties until it can no longer be recharged so you get an ever reducing battery capacity. Only batteries kept close to 100% fully charged achieve their cyclic life in a usable form.

You need to find the data for each setting on your charger and choose one as close to the Elecsol's recommendations as possible.

IIRC Graham (Alnwick) had a battle with Elecsol over batteries. But as Gibbo says, I think that was with a previous generation battery type.

I think he's now using second hand units from Vince now (but unfortunately that supply has now dried up).

No comment on Elecsol - except I've also been dissapointed with their "Long life" wet cells.

However, as far as technology goes, AGM batteries do seem better. I have two 110amp batteries on Victoria which I bought two years ago, and even though I've often left the fridge going between weekends, sometimes two, they still hold a good charge. I've just a simple 70 amp altenator, and since they suck up juice well they charge reasonably quickly - however my 12 hours or more a day boating does help to keep them well charged.

I'm not really a good regular maintance type person, so the sealed cells are also a bonus.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mykaskin

Bob B

One aspect not mentioned is size; the elcosols I have seen are much larger than their counterparts so may not fit in the same tray as those they are replacing. I'd have had lorry batts but have had to stick to 110 ampers

Hi Guys & Girls

We used Elecsols for probably the first 5 / 6 years of trading. These were their standard lead acid batteries and we did have some warranty issues with them. The main problem was Elecsol used to advertise these batteries as maintenance free which they were absolutely not.. Checked and topped up on a 3 monthly cycle, good performance from them could be expected and I feel the life expectancy was in line with the price. Warranty was reasonable for us, they did replace batteries under warranty and to be fair the batteries replaced had had no maintenance in accordance with their "at the time" guidelines. We probably had good results on replacement batteries because we were a regular buyer, all be it approx 25 units a year.

Re the Elecsol 7 year warranty I don't really know.

We have elected for 10 year warranty lead acid wet cell batteries for our boat with an expected life time of 15 years.

Report of early failure will be on here, or battery replacement party in 2023... all welcome to help with the quarter of a tonne out and the same new ones in.

Cheers

Roger

You will only achieve 1200 cycles if you can in some way recharge your batteries to close on 100% each time you discharge them - say 99.5%)because any part of the plate material that is left uncharged will gradually alter its properties until it can no longer be recharged so you get an ever reducing battery capacity. Only batteries kept close to 100% fully charged achieve their cyclic life in a usable form.

You need to find the data for each setting on your charger and choose one as close to the Elecsol's recommendations as possible.

I had a look through the manual for my inverter the Wet Gel settings match the battery specs so If I cant get hold of some second hand Data Centre Batteries then I will get the AGM ones

I’ve looked at the Sizes they are slightly taller but everything else will fit.

I had a look through the manual for my inverter the Wet Gel settings match the battery specs so If I cant get hold of some second hand Data Centre Batteries then I will get the AGM ones

I’ve looked at the Sizes they are slightly taller but everything else will fit.

I have read this thread twice now and I cannot find anything on here to make you go for those batteries!!! I think you had already made your mind up and just hoped that someone would back you up about it. No-one seems to think they are worth the extra wonga, so I am intrigued as to why you have decided to go for them?

I have read this thread twice now and I cannot find anything on here to make you go for those batteries!!! I think you had already made your mind up and just hoped that someone would back you up about it. No-one seems to think they are worth the extra wonga, so I am intrigued as to why you have decided to go for them?

I was reading through one of the Archive threads where Gibbo tried to break one of the batteries I didn't finish it all the but he seamed to think it was worth it in Dec last year.

I havnt made up my mind I have been seriously considering it although the consensus seams to be buy cheep abuse them and replace.

I'm trying to scrounge some Data Centre UPS Batteries these have a massive capacity even after they have been replaced they will work for me for a few years. I have 4 * 110 ah batteries and they last 3 hrs before dropping to 12.1v. I'm only taking out 10A DC so time to replace. Just looking for something that would last years give me a high constant high capacity and I didnt have to get them out to check the levels. the AGM ones seems good (if you read the sales blurb)

Bob

I was reading through one of the Archive threads where Gibbo tried to break one of the batteries I didn't finish it all the but he seamed to think it was worth it in Dec last year.

I am sure that the batt Gibbo was testing was not an Elcosol.

I am sure that the batt Gibbo was testing was not an Elcosol.

I remember that thread too, and I don't think they were Elecsols either. Were they Rolls?

Tony

They are Hawker Armasafe. They're a ridiculous amount of money. If I had done the same tests on a wet cell Elecsol I'd be surprised if it lasted longer than a couple of days.

UPS batteries are completely unsuitable for deep cycling.

Ok You all win Cheep Leisure batteries it is. :rolleyes:

BobB

That's not playing the game.

You have to but them and then in a year and a half's time tell us they are knackered.

Then we'll tell you there was a thread on them. Somebody will find it who uses pen and paper rather than the search engine. We all look and say there we told you so.

Don't spoil the fun. :lol:

Edited by blodger

That's not playing the game.

You have to but them and then in a year and a half's time tell us they are knackered.

Then we'll tell you there was a thread on them. Somebody will find it who uses pen and paper rather than the search engine. We all look and say there we told you so.

Don't spoil the fun. :lol:

Right, then a thread starts about not searching properly starts and after two pages everyone starts to bicker, posts get removed after trading insults, Lots of slagging off and no one remembering what the OP was about.

and the best bit is, Someone will create a Poll about Which battery you use and then the bickering will start on that thread.

Then I remembered this is CWDF and it's just another day

Bob B

Right, then a thread starts about not searching properly starts and after two pages everyone starts to bicker, posts get removed after trading insults, Lots of slagging off and no one remembering what the OP was about.

and the best bit is, Someone will create a Poll about Which battery you use and then the bickering will start on that thread.

Then I remembered this is CWDF and it's just another day

Bob B

Now you're getting the idea :)

Tony

when I originally started I searched the site for AGM batteries and got pages of redundant searches. A second search gave me you have too many searches.

Hmm The Great British Beer festival is on 2-6 I'll do some research on AGM batteries there.

Bob B

when I originally started I searched the site for AGM batteries...

The search engine would have ignored the AGM part. Search words must be 4 letters or more.

Tony

Of course, if you'd searched for Elecsol...