Help

malc h

Featured Posts

HI

I hope I find you all well. I have a couple of question that I hope someone can answer. Can I buy a compleat set of maps for the uk canal systerm if so were can I get one from. I would like to navigate the whole of the UK canal syster is this possible ?

Have you looked on Amazon?

Yes, you can get a Collins Nicholsons map of the whole system, which is colour coded to show you which of seven individual guides covers each area. Other maps are available and have been discussed in previous threads which a search just might find.

We've got the big Nicholson's map which shows all the UK waterways and then we use the Pearsons Canal Companions which cover most of the canals in details and some of the rivers - it's only some of the London/Southern areas that they don't cover.

In addition to the big UK map Nicholson's also do map books covering each section in detail - I think a lot of people use those also....

Chertsey

Thanks very much for the reply just going to order one.

Generally that particular map is fine for route planning but it omits a great amount of detail which you need something like the Nicholson's guides for specific waterways for.

Be aware the Nicholson's guides can be hopelessly out of date with things like pubs that are still open or water points that no longer exist.

As a last minute check I often download the waterscape boaters guides which include the latest stoppage or restriction information in them, though these are not infallible either.

You can download them from this safe linky

HI

I would like to navigate the whole of the UK canal syster is this possible ?

no it is not possible, as several waterways remain landlocked but the main system extends a far distance from Ripon in the north to Godalming in the south across into wales and the east coast

then of course there are restrictions on height, length and width in various places.

Hi hamsterfan

Was intrested in what you said about the size of the barge. What would be the max size that would let me navigate most of the canal system

A 57ft narrowboat is generally regarded as big as you can get through the whole connected system. However there are caveats to this.

More info. and some very interesting reading -

here

and

here

as said above 57 ft long 6ft 11 in wide with a standard height is concidered to be the ideal, you can of course exceed the dimensions and still get most of the canals in.

Most canals - possibly??

Most of the connected inland waterways though...

had a headroom of 6'3" on my old boat, that just passed through harecastle tunnel and cleared burnt mill bridge at Harlow on the stort with an inch to spare, froghall tunnel is lower on the caldon canal.

there are other low bridges around but they are the lowest i have been under.

HI

I hope I find you all well. I have a couple of question that I hope someone can answer. Can I buy a compleat set of maps for the uk canal systerm if so were can I get one from. I would like to navigate the whole of the UK canal syster is this possible ?

Some years ago APCO (Association of Pleasure Craft Operators) published an Inland Waterways Map of England and Wales, this was a reproduction of an Anglo-Welsh Waterways Holidays one, a very good map as it shows Rivers, broad and narrow canals and the number of locks and the time need between places. Not sure if this map can still be obtained but well looking for it, also Waterways World do a full Waterways map but without the locks and times.

So what is a standard height? - serious question - we reckon 6'1" is about the maximum - any advance on 6'1"?

There is no such thing as a *standard height*. It all depends upon the profile of your cabin. Most modern boats tend to have slab-sided cabins ...................

Wont get you through Brandon

is that not a river brian? and i think its less than 4 miles above it that are navigable isn't it?

as said there are some exceptions to the rule! B)

Ah, but he specifically asked about a barge. B)

but only several posts in! but there again there are narrowbeam barges nowadays! :cheers:

hi, ive just brought my first boat and im goin through harecastle tunnel,i no my boat will fit ok but a friend is worried about theres its shetland saxon 21 does anyone no if it will fit

hi, ive just brought my first boat and im goin through harecastle tunnel,i no my boat will fit ok but a friend is worried about theres its shetland saxon 21 does anyone no if it will fit

Keep in the centre, give any boat in front a good start as some slow when the roof comes down and the sides in, don't go too slowly yourself and reckon to be in the dark for 30 to 40 minutes, take a torch and shine it on the walls and roof - note the ring for the old electric cables for the towboat in the roof and look out for the skeleton 500yards from the north end.

Edited by Tiny