fitting an oil pressure gauge on a perkins MC42

Featured Posts

Hi Folks,

Am hoping someone can help and give me some idiot proof advice, I have a perkins MC42 and when I had the boat surveyed (before I bought it), the surveyor put in his report that an oil pressure gauge was recommended.

I am now seeing the advantage and have the time and money so how do I do it? Can I connect onto the alarm and light sender or do I have to tee into somewhere along the oil pipe coming up from the sump? Is there a 2-1 connector that I can install where the original sender is and fit two senders, one for alarm and one for either capillary or electrical? Has anyone done this and is able to help? Thanks for talking the time to read this!

These days it's probably easier to use an electrical sender/gauge combination, (make sure sender and gauge are correct to work with each other though - multiple standards are in use).

Not tried it on a Perkins, but have on a BMC, and in my case it was easiest to tee of of what was effectively an adaptor that moved the existing sender further from the engine, but then had a threaded hole in it's side to add the new sensor.

Something like this.

The only issue, I guess, on any engine, is arranging that the new sensor can avoid all other bits of the engine. The sensors can be surprisingly big, and on my BMC it's a tight fit!

I've just had a look at my MC42. As the oil pressure alarm sensor is conveniently located at the front end of the engine, sticking up vertically in front of the rocker cover, it would almost certainly be easiest to unscrew the alarm sensor and fit a suitable T-piece in its place. The only problems I can imagine are that it might foul the air-cleaner if you have a large one, or it is just possible that it might be overall too high if the engine is tightly fitted under a deck or other fixed object.

However, personally I wouldn't bother. If you are concerned about the pressure, just borrow a gauge which could even be a rubber-ended one that you just hold over the hole, and check it once (run the engine up to temperature then stop the engine, remove the alarm sensor, get someone to hold the gauge in place while you start up and check the pressure at high and low revs). After that, unless it needs urgent attention, just rely on the alarm until at least your next oil change or maybe until 12 months have passed. An extra gauge merely gives you one more thing to worry about while you cruise along.

Thank you all for your time and advice, I will try the multiple adapter and see how I go as there is about 2 and 3/8 of an inch to play with before it hits the filter.

Again thanks and any more options would always be appreciated.

Anyone fitted an Alde bubble tester in their anchor lockers?

best wishes, steven

nb,. perseverance

Anyone fitted an Alde bubble tester in their anchor lockers?

Seriously? Anchor locker?

No. And I doubt it would pass BSS.

I have however recently had one fitted in my gas locker.

Tony

(snip) Anyone fitted an Alde bubble tester in their anchor lockers?

No, but I have fitted one in a gas locker. :rolleyes:

Iain

Edited to add : cross posted, so "Me too" :lol:

Edited by Iain_S

It was the safety examiner that put the idea in my head!!!

He said 'pressing the button on that saved him 30 mins and would be a good way for me to be able to check the system'

and it had to be installed as close to the regulator as possible.

best wishes, steve