victron invertor

mikevye

Featured Posts

Runnung my 2.0 Honda geny in conjunction with the inverter battery charger has been fine until recently when after half an hour or so the output voltage (according to SG) starts to rise and exceeds the recommended charge voltage for the batteries. I have spoken to my local dealer and the only method of repair is to remove the invertor and send it back when they will quote on a repair or if uneconomical give me a part ex price on a new one!! Has anybody had a similar problem because the recommended method of repair is too open ended for me especially as the invertor is working fine.

Runnung my 2.0 Honda geny in conjunction with the inverter battery charger has been fine until recently when after half an hour or so the output voltage (according to SG) starts to rise and exceeds the recommended charge voltage for the batteries. I have spoken to my local dealer and the only method of repair is to remove the invertor and send it back when they will quote on a repair or if uneconomical give me a part ex price on a new one!! Has anybody had a similar problem because the recommended method of repair is too open ended for me especially as the invertor is working fine.

What charge voltages for absorption, float and storage mode have you set the Victron to?

How much does it exceed by?

Edited by nb Innisfree

That is extremely interesting! I have never owned or used a Victron unit, but my liveaboard neighbour has one and has been having problems for months with flat batteries, although on a mains hookup. Then about a month ago one of his batteries exploded, spraying battery acid over the engine and all around the engine compartment. The boat electrician that he brought in, thought that it was an overcharge that caused it and initially suspected the alternator, but when I spoke to him a week ago, he said that it appeared to be the Victron that was causing the problem. Victron have also said that it needs to be returned, not helpful when you rely on it for everyday use. Another resident here also has a Victron and has been having battery failures on a bank of new batteries which was suggested may be exacerbated by overcharging. I know that Victrons are supposed to be the D's B's, but they do need to be set up properly as I understand it, and seem to require more care and attention than less sophisticated systems.

Sorry I can't offer any technical help though!

Roger

Edited by Roger Gunkel

That is extremely interesting! I have never owned or used a Victron unit, but my liveaboard neighbour has one and has been having problems for months with flat batteries, although on a mains hookup. Then about a month ago one of his batteries exploded, spraying battery acid over the engine and all around the engine compartment. The boat electrician that he brought in, thought that it was an overcharge that caused it and initially suspected the alternator, but when I spoke to him a week ago, he said that it appeared to be the Victron that was causing the problem. Victron have also said that it needs to be returned, not helpful when you rely on it for everyday use. Another resident here also has a Victron and has been having battery failures on a bank of new batteries which was suggested may be exacerbated by overcharging. I know that Victrons are supposed to be the D's B's, but they do need to be set up properly as I understand it, and seem to require more care and attention than less sophisticated systems.

Roger

Yes they do need setting up properly but once set they are very good, it's not just a case of setting and forgetting, you may need to carry out more adjustments until you have it right, on our Victron voltages do stray above the set limit and we adjusted them down a bit to compensate. I must add though that instead of just selecting one of four battery types (if this facility is included, ours isn't) it may be better to select and fine tune voltages manually. You also have to make sure the bulk charge amps aren't too high for battery size or they will overheat. Of course if you mix up battery types then nothing can be designed to cope with that

I have had my unit set up by those very nice people at Springwood Haven Marina (onboard energy) and I have had it set at 14.2 volts as the recommended charge max is 14.4V on my elecsols. I would probably be oblivious to the problem if the SB hadn't started clicking on and off as the upper disconnect voltage was reached 14.8 Volts. Maybe there is an ongoing problem with the battery charger and getting it repaired is an expensive but not permanent solution!

I have had my unit set up by those very nice people at Springwood Haven Marina (onboard energy) and I have had it set at 14.2 volts as the recommended charge max is 14.4V on my elecsols. I would probably be oblivious to the problem if the SB hadn't started clicking on and off as the upper disconnect voltage was reached 14.8 Volts. Maybe there is an ongoing problem with the battery charger and getting it repaired is an expensive but not permanent solution!

I wouldn't worry about it, ours didn't stay within the voltage setting so we adjusted it down until we were happy. It really is a five minute job to do, either get your head round doing it or pay someone to come and do it, it's much much easier than rocket science. What's an SB?

I have had the same here with my Victron charger.....ended up using the Victron PC interface and a calibrated multimeter till the voltage was correct for the battery type....in the end I set the voltage on the Victron PC program about 0.4-0.7 volts lower to get the correct reading at the batteries....given the cost and supposed quality of the Victron I wasnt impressed....think I would try Mastervolt next time!

Cheers

Gareth

Edited to add:

Before anyone asks...all the voltage sense leads are connected as is the temp sensor!

Edited by frangar

I have had the same here with my Victron charger.....ended up using the Victron PC interface and a calibrated multimeter till the voltage was correct for the battery type....in the end I set the voltage on the Victron PC program about 0.4-0.7 volts lower to get the correct reading at the batteries....given the cost and supposed quality of the Victron I wasnt impressed....think I would try Mastervolt next time!

Cheers

Gareth

Edited to add:

Before anyone asks...all the voltage sense leads are connected as is the temp sensor!

Could it be a faulty or intermittent temp sender? This would cause a fluctuation of about this magnitude.

Regards

Arnot

Roger

Mastervolt units are not in the "less sophisticated systems" category but these really are the D's B's and just do what they are supposed to do.

No connection with the company but lots of experience in fitting their kit.

Victron is really the only cheaper alternative to Mastervolt but nowhere near in the same league

All is fine when budgets are tight but then some time later you have to deal with the problems and usually the scenario is biting the bullet earlier and paying the price would have been a better option.

• 2 weeks later...

Could it be a faulty or intermittent temp sender? This would cause a fluctuation of about this magnitude.

Regards

Arnot

First thing I did was to disconnect that, I wish it was that simple but thanks arnot

Regards Mike