2 inverter outlets to 1 fuse board main switch ??

Collectors

Featured Posts

Hi, i would like to run power out my 3000watt inverter into a fuse board with a 60amp main switch & then of to different circuits via 4 rcbo's.

On the inverter i have 2 x 13amp outlets, can i use 2 leads from the inverter outlets to the main 60amp switch & double them up at this point to spread any load across these 2 inverter outlets.

Many thanks

Chris.

Hi, i would like to run power out my 3000watt inverter into a fuse board with a 60amp main switch & then of to different circuits via 4 rcbo's.

On the inverter i have 2 x 13amp outlets, can i use 2 leads from the inverter outlets to the main 60amp switch & double them up at this point to spread any load across these 2 inverter outlets.

Many thanks

Chris.

I would've thought so, since they're on the same inverter, but check the manual, or probe it to ensure they're commoned inside.

However, one 13A socket is more than 3000w at 230v anyway, so one will cope with the full output. I'd put a plug on a length of 2.5mm arctic, from the inverter to the CU, and think about adding an E-N bond inside the plug, if you can fit one in. That's what I've got.

PC

Many thanks

Chris.

There's no need. One outlet will eat 3000 watts. They'll just be connected together inside anyway.

Edited by Gibbo

Yeah but if two people say roughly the same thing there's more chance of it being taken notice of :)

Hee hee, fair point! :D Suspect your opinion carries more weight than mine in any case, so a good idea! :)

PC

The experts have spoken but I will just add,

3000watts(3Kw) at 230 volts is about 13 amps so no matter how many cables/sockets you run/supply to the 60 amp switch you will not be able to have more than 3000watts(3Kw), 13 amps running on the load side of the 60amp switch.

The 60amp switch is overkill. ;)

Eh! Thanks for the quick reply's. was just thinking that 3kw would be pushing a 13amp plug as i have seen a few of these getting hot in the past with this sort of load. (even though it's only 12.5amp) Think the 2 leads might not be that great an idea as i would also be putting 2 fuse's in the circuit with the 13 amp fuses in the plug tops. Sounds like it might be best to limit it down to 2kw.

Cheers.

PS. The 60amp switch was just one i had in an old spare fuse board.

Edited by Collectors

Eh! Thanks for the quick reply's. was just thinking that 3kw would be pushing a 13amp plug as i have seen a few of these getting hot in the past with this sort of load. (even though it's only 12.5amp) Think the 2 leads might not be that great an idea as i would also be putting 2 fuse's in the circuit with the 13 amp fuses in the plug tops. Sounds like it might be best to limit it down to 2kw.

Cheers.

Bear in mind also that 3kW is 250A being drawn out of your batteries. If you had 6 x 120Ah batteries, that's only around an hour and a half before they'd need recharging... which would take all of the following day and then some.

Tony

Change the two 13amp sockets for one panel mounted 16amp one.

Or I think I would change one 13amp for a 16amp & keep the other 13amp just in case.

You could even hard wire it in, dep on the rest of the system

Change the two 13amp sockets for one panel mounted 16amp one.

Or I think I would change one 13amp for a 16amp & keep the other 13amp just in case.

You could even hard wire it in, dep on the rest of the system

I think the two 13s are built into the Inverter...

PC

I think the two 13s are built into the Inverter...

PC

And?

Would be an easy job to change them for panel mounted 16amp ones or even easier to hard wire it.

(obviously once outside of any warranty & you must know what you are doing or get a pro to do it)

Edited by Justme

And?

Would be an easy job to change them for panel mounted 16amp ones or even easier to hard wire it.

(obviously once outside of any warranty & you must know what you are doing or get a pro to do it)

No, indeed, fair point - was just trying to clarify what I thought was being meant. :)

As you say, I think I'd dispense with the sockets of any sort and hardwire it, if going down that route.

PC

Why bother

Because he was worried about the 13 amp plug overheating. It would also give a more flexible system. If a shore line was available he would already have the 16amp input (plug) on the boat side.

Cheers.

There are 13 amp plugs and there are 13 amp plugs! Look for plugs that have the kitemark rather than "made to BS ---" as a start, look at the quality of the fuseholder, the better plugtops can easily deal with 3Kw loads.