300mm wide radiators for CH

Featured Posts

I've almost got the new heating and hot water system sorted out.

Done away with the 3 way valve idea by using 2 pumps, one for the hot water, other for the heating.

I'm now ammassing the parts to actually fit this heater, and the radiators are the next biggest thing (calorifiers been ordered, had to go for a new one, getting a surecal 20 litre with twin 15mm coils, all the fittings.. immerssian element, prv, mixing valve, straps etc.. for not much more than i was hoping to pay for a second hand calorifier)

So now the next biggest purchase is the radiators, i dont want any of these arty farty ones that cost hundreds of quids, just bog standard plain rads, problem is i want 300mm wide ones, i can go to 350mm wide on one rad placement,

But all the places i've tried localy can only get me 400mm wide ones, plumb centre want £12 for a single 400 x 400 rad, but can't/wont get in any smaller ones,

i know they make them smaller, and i suspect i'll have to go direct to a radiator maker, but searching on google for 300mm wide radiators just throws up millions of sites selling these designer rads, with designer price tags to match,

But i'm imagining that maybe someone has used a 300mm wide rad in a small space on a boat.. toilet/head type place where space is limited, if so, where did you get them from,

i only need 3 rads in total, so i assume most radiator manufacturers wont want to even entertain me unless i add a couple of noughts to the number of rads i want to buy.

Humm, not sure.

- All i can say is, as you already know, they do exist!

- And than if you search for 300m rads (just have) you get a load of overpriced designer stuff! OR else you get a whole load of 300mm high rads!

Daniel

In a previous life I worked in an R&D department for a big firm of Architects. I have just looked through old directories but I can only find 400mm max length rads. :wacko:

BTW - We did a bit of playing around with foil backed foam board behind radiators to reflect heating back into rooms. The results were quite impressive for minimal outlay. I guess kitchen foil and any lightweight board would have the same effect.

Also a very thin shelf with foil on the underside placed above the rad (no more than the width of the panel) also gave good results.

......................................those were the days: an hour for lunch, 'site visits' when you needed a bit of shopping, mortgage rate at 14%, H&SE had just been mentioned, I could get into a size 12.......... :D

Chrissie

Hate to mention toolstation again but take your pick!!

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/R...tors/d20/sd2974

80701 300 x 600mm x 1072BTU

54774.jpg

£17.93

Factory fitted top grilles and side panels. White enamel paint finish (RAL9010). Supplied with brackets, wall fixings and bleed plugs. Pressure tested to 13 bar (working pressure 10bar).BS EN 442. Licence No. 95430.

Dont forget that smaller rads will give out less heat (BTU). Make sure you have enough rads to take the full output of your boiler or overheating could occur.

Edited by stuart

This is probably a silly suggestion, but suppose you got one of the 300mm high ones with a connection at each corner, then mounted it sideways? The pipes could then both come straight out of the bottom. I don't know if it would be as efficient, but it may work if you can't find anything else.

Allan

(edited for smelling mis-steaks)

Edited by Keeping Up

i had thought of this, but been told by a heating engineer that i'll only get about 40% of the rated output due to the fins on the back being the main heat source.. and they'll be running the wrong way,

and with such small rads to start with, i'll be struggeling to heat the van.

i've found that ultraheat make bog standard rediators from 200mm wide, just what i want to fit a slim rad next to the toilet and sink in the bathroom where i really want a rad rather than the other wall that's a compromise.

But ultraheat are one of these firms that havent grasped what a web site is about.. theirs is very hard to navigate, full of flash animations, no prices, e-mail link dosent work, the web site for the radiators is dead, no hints of who stocks or sells them, just that they have the rads i want, and that's it, almost as if they are teasing me... 'we have what you want, but we're not going to let you have them)

they dont do the 300 or 200mm wide ones i want, and i havent got a plumbworld near me either.

My local graham plumbers merchant says they can order in any rads i want, better than plumbcentre who refused to even think about ordering owt in from anyone other than who they already deal with.

But i'm still waiting for the prices for the rads i want... a 500 x 200 double for the bathroom, 400 x 300 double for the kitchen and a 700 x 300 single for the living area, as soon as they get me a price, and as long as it's not silly, i'll be ordering them and finaly getting the wet central heating fitted to my van... i know this is normal for boats but in motorhomes it's still a bit of a novelty, and even a luxuary to some,