Favourite stretch of canal

Philip

Featured Posts

Which is your favourite stretch of canal that you have cruised on?

I haven't actually travelled on many canals - we stick to the one's we currently boat, as we like it so much. I've been on the Leeds and Liverpool, Bridgewater/Leigh Branch, the Staffs and Worcester, Trent and Mersey, Llangollen, the Shropshire Union (all parts), Montgomery and the Monmouth and Brecon.

Despite the spectacular Shroppie, the stunning scenery on parts of the Leeds and Liverpool/Mon and Brec and Llangollen and the most attractive Staffs and Worcester, I have 3 favourite parts, all on the Trent and Mersey.

The Weaver Valley section between Preston Brook and Barnton, the Dane Valley section between Rudheath and Middlewich and the Trent Valley between Stone and Great Haywood. The Sow Valley on the Staffs and Worcester is also one of my favourite sections and would probably be my top favourite but for the railway which accompanies most of the section right alongside, before diving into the Shugborough tunnel near Tixall - Tixall Wide is just beautiful and it it isn't as long a stretch compared to the other 3 mentioned.

It seems extremely hard to choose my favourite, I like all 3 of them equally for scenery, peace and quiet, but I suppose the Trent Valley edges it slightly, only because it is a longer stretch and you have a few isolated, spaced out locks for activity.

What is/are your favourite strectch(es) of canal that you have cruised on?

If possible, could one of the site crew delete my thread about this on general boating, as I only want it posted once, please? I can't seem to find a delete button myself. Thank you.

I know my cruising is not the usual Canal cruising, but my favourite by far has to be the Kyme Eau/River Slea. Still only partly navigable, this tranquil stretch of the cleanest river in the UK leaves you feeling as if you own the world. Must be undertaken in April, otherwise it can become a major challenge :wacko:

http://community.webshots.com/album/74682007rJBQjR

Stories on my site http://www.angelfire.com/rnb/malcsworld/

I have now seen several different parts of the country, with the help of friends, from East Anglia to the Midlands, and have yet to find anywhere to equal this. I have heard the Chesterfield canal is also one of the best, and if I can get help, hope to undertake this trip soon.

I haven't cruised very widely, but when I was bringing the boat home for the first time I loved the stretch of canal from Norton Canes to Great Bridge (on the 'curly' Wyrley and Essington and Walsall Canal)...

Most of it isn't remotely picturesque (except maybe the Cannock extension and the bit of the Wyrley around Pelsall), but I love the excitement of not knowing what was coming round the next bend... another wreckers yard...? another run down housing estate...? the canal blocked with the wreckage of a burnt out motorbike...? It's like cruising into the heart of darkness.

Actually, the Wyrley was idyllic in a weird way, as it wound around between back gardens in housing estates; there were loads of dragonflies and waterlilies, and the water was crystal clear so you could see shoals of fish flitting about. The water looks like cocoa on the Worcester and Brum.

Edited by Breals

People are very snobby about the Llangollen canal, at the drop of a hat they will regale you with stories of hoards of marauding beer swilling hire boaters, with queues and canal rage at the locks. They will tell you that there will be no mooring space in the town when you get there and the place is a bit of a disappointment anyway.

I always have my doubts if many of these people have actually done the cruise, I have done it four times over the years and though I haven't always been lucky with the weather I have never experienced any of the problems which have become part of our folklore. The last time however the weather was glorious, those last five or six miles over the aqueduct and through the Vale of Llangollen into the tree covered foothills of Snowdonia is by far the best half days cruising you could find anywhere.

Ignore the silly secondhand stories and cruise the Llangollen.

Edited by John Orentas

My favourite cruise....

The Kennet and Avon from Bradford on Avon, to the crossed guns at the avoncliff aqueduct, along the Limpley stoke valley to the Dundas aqueduct and then the george at Bathampton. From there to Bath, down the short 6 lock flight (including the dreaded deep lock) and along the Avon to the jolly sailor on saltford lock, and on to Hanham.

(Beer, beer, beer,etc).

People are very snobby about the Llangollen canal, at the drop of a hat they will regale you with stories of hoards of marauding beer swilling hire boaters, with queues and canal rage at the locks. They will tell you that there will be no mooring space in the town when you get there and the place is a bit of a disappointment anyway.

I always have my doubts if many of these people have actually done the cruise, I have done it four times over the years and though I haven't always been lucky with the weather I have never experienced any of the problems which have become part of our folklore. The last time however the weather was glorious, those last five or six miles over the aqueduct and through the Vale of Llangollen into the tree covered foothills of Snowdonia is by far the best half days cruising you could find anywhere.

Yes I too feel that the Llangollen has an unfair reputation and also a generalised, unfair reputation about hire boaters. The top section of the Llangollen has spectacular scenery, I just prefer those other 3, or 4 sections for no particular reason.

I like the bottom section as well, between Hurleston and Grindley Brook. I have never experienced queues at any of the locks there, although that's probably because of the time of year we go at. Mind you, we had to queue at New Marton in October going up, with about 7 boats in front.

We have never queued at Wheaton Aston Lock, which is in a similar situation to New Marton (only lock in a very long pound). Again, I assume that there will be queues in the summer at this lock.

Guest st170dw

I agree entirely. We had a most enjoyable trip to Llangollen last July. The only problem at times was the searing heat which lasted for the whole 2 weeks we were on board.

Needless to say the hottest day was when we were descending the Audlem flight but an ice-cool beer and sandwich at the Shroppie Fly soon restored us!

It really felt as though we were going uphill from Trevor to Llangollen against the current.

Well worth the trip.

Dave

PS my signature pic was when we were moored at Llangollen.

Edited by st170dw

I have to be a bit contraversial here, I LIKE hire boaters. These people are on holiday and determined to be as happy as conditions allow come hell or high water, what's not to like?

Nothing's not to like. I said that sometimes hire boaters get an unfair reputation as in people think they don't know what they're doing.

I'm a hire boater and it's happened to me in the past, though not recently, but I, along with I'm sure many other hire boaters do know what I'm doing.

I'm against no one who uses the canals; hire boaters, private boaters, shared boaters, fishermen, walkers - they all have as much right to be there as anyone else does, it's just unfortunate that a very small minority don't think the same.

Edited by Philip

I haven't cruised very widely, but when I was bringing the boat home for the first time I loved the stretch of canal from Norton Canes to Great Bridge (on the 'curly' Wyrley and Essington and Walsall Canal)...

Most of it isn't remotely picturesque (except maybe the Cannock extension and the bit of the Wyrley around Pelsall), but I love the excitement of not knowing what was coming round the next bend... another wreckers yard...? another run down housing estate...? the canal blocked with the wreckage of a burnt out motorbike...? It's like cruising into the heart of darkness.

Actually, the Wyrley was idyllic in a weird way, as it wound around between back gardens in housing estates; there were loads of dragonflies and waterlilies, and the water was crystal clear so you could see shoals of fish flitting about. The water looks like cocoa on the Worcester and Brum.

The first time we went on the Curley Wyrley, it wasn't on any of the maps you could buy. After 2 days of struggling through the weeds and the rubbish, we saw two teenage lads on the towpath. "Where are we?" we asked; this was clearly too hard a question for them. After 5 minutes of debate, and just before we were out of earshot, one of them turned back and shouted in a wonderfully strong local accent "You're in Birmingham".

Later that afternoon we spotted some parasols over a fence (on the non-towpath side). We stopped and prised apart a couple of fence panels and sure enough we found a pub garden. So we squeezed through the gap and entered the pub; the deafening roar of dominoes went quiet, and we asked the landlady "Where are we?". Everyone in the pub debated this for a few minutes, then the landlady said "You aren't anywhere really. Now, what would you like to drink".

We spent the night there, moored so much in the middle of the canal that nobody could have passed us, but apparently we were the first boat anyone had seen for years so it didn't matter (I can believe it; we even had to use the toolkit to dismantle several home-made wooden footbridges). Next day someone looked over a wall and said he'd lived in the house for 3 years and hadn't realised there was a canal at the end of his garden, he'd just heard our engine and had come to investigate.

Yes the Curley Wyrley has a lot to recommend it. Much of it is still the same as it was then, although now you can at least look on the map and see where you are.

Allan

Nothing's not to like. I said that sometimes hire boaters get an unfair reputation as in people think they don't know what they're doing.

I'm a hire boater and it's happened to me in the past, though not recently, but I, along with I'm sure many other hire boaters do know what I'm doing.

I'm against no one who uses the canals, hire boaters, private boaters, shared boaters, fishermen, walkers - they all have as much right to be there as anyone else does, it's just unfortunate that a very small minority don't think the same.

I agree. It's interesting to do the same stretch of canal twice in rapid succession, once on a hire boat and once on a private boat (I've done this several times). The very same people who screamed abuse at you on the hire boat and told you to slow down, will often be as friendly as could be when you're on a private boat (and travelling at the same speed).

Such people make me sick!

Allan

Staffs & Worcs, we'd only had the boat a month and it was the first time we'd been out, we'd never boated before. Our mooring was at Otherton (Penkridge) and early on a July afternoon we hesitatingly took her north, through our first ever five locks. We moored on the towpath just past Acton Trusell, between bridges 93 and 94, cooked our first ever meal on board and spent our first (away from the marina) night on board.

When we woke, shortly after dawn, it was just beautifull, complete with swans on the water to share our breakfast.

Every time we go past now, it's our favorite spot.

Edited by Guest

My wife would love us to do the Llangollen Canal, but I must admit I have been put off by the stories of shallow depth. As someone who has done it several times John, can you confirm whether I would have any difficultly with a draft of 2ft 10 ins.

My favourite cruise....

The Kennet and Avon from Bradford on Avon, to the crossed guns at the avoncliff aqueduct, along the Limpley stoke valley to the Dundas aqueduct and then the george at Bathampton. From there to Bath, down the short 6 lock flight (including the dreaded deep lock) and along the Avon to the jolly sailor on saltford lock, and on to Hanham.

(Beer, beer, beer,etc).

You obviously will have to do that trip again Snibble, you have missed out at least four pubs within walking distance from the canal. I live halfway between Bradford on Avon and Dundas and have been in all of them! Oh and yes, it is very pretty, the trouble is when it is your home patch you tend to become indiffident about it.

Edited by David Schweizer

My wife would love us to do the Llangollen Canal, but I must admit I have been put off by the stories of shallow depth. As someone who has done it several times John, can you confirm whether I would have any difficultly with a draft of 2ft 10 ins.

Hi David.

My permanent mooring is on the Peak Forest (via the Macclesfield), it has I think the reputation as being the most shallow on the system though half loaded working boats are often to be seen here. I used to regularly bump the bottom, (2 ft + draught) but not so much in recent years.

The Llangollen like all the canals now are very much deeper than they were even 10 years ago, all I can say is that I have no recollection of it being any less deep than my local canal and you do see working boats and several of the old hotel boat pairs up there. I think you would be OK.

Favourite stretch of canal?......the section outside my kitchen window on the Shroppie. Its nothing special, people will go past and think nothing of it, but its special to me.

Winter - The magic of looking out and seeing it all frozen over, ducks sliding around

Spring - Spotting the first ducklings and the start of the season....more boats going past

Summer - Loads of people going past and being friendly. Hire boaters having a great holiday, pirate flags and drink.

Autumn - mist in the morning....

Its always changing and I love it.

Paula XXXX :lol:

Hi David.

My permanent mooring is on the Peak Forest (via the Macclesfield), it has I think the reputation as being the most shallow on the system though half loaded working boats are often to be seen here. I used to regularly bump the bottom, (2 ft + draught) but not so much in recent years.

The Llangollen like all the canals now are very much deeper than they were even 10 years ago, all I can say is that I have no recollection of it being any less deep than my local canal and you do see working boats and several of the old hotel boat pairs up there. I think you would be OK.

Thanks for that John, your answer is both reassuring and concerning. The Llangollen seems to be realistic proposition, but I was planning to come up the Macclesfield and stay in the Furness Vale/Whaley Bridge area on the Peak Forest for a few days this summer. Bumping the bottom at 2ft+ is not very reassuring when you have a 2ft 9in gap between the underside of the counter and the bottom of the Skeg. How many working boats manage to make it up the Macclesfield?

Edited by David Schweizer

Thanks for that John, your answer is both reassuring and concerning. The Llangollen seems to be realistic proposition, but I was planning to come up the Macclesfield and stay in the Furness Vale/Whaley Bridge area on the Peak Forest for a few days this summer. Bumping the bottom at 2ft+ is not very reassuring when you have a 2ft 9in gap between the underside of the counter and the bottom of the Skeg. How many working boats manage to make it up the Macclesfield?

David.

I am sure you will be OK, my mate has a working boat based near me, he sells coal and diesel mainly on the Peak and the Macc. I said I 'used to' bump the bottom occasionally it has been dredged since then but mainly along with the Llangollen and all the other canals it has seen increasing traffic over the last couple of decades.

When I first moved to my present mooring 17 years ago it would take two and a half hours to get to Marple, now it takes only one and a half.

Let me know if and when you make the trip, you can moor outside the Navigation at Bugsworth now.

• 1 month later...
The very same people who screamed abuse at you on the hire boat and told you to slow down, will often be as friendly as could be when you're on a private boat (and travelling at the same speed).

Ok I'm not proud of it but it is sooooo satisfying sometimes when at the locks with a hire boat and one of those rare breed of private boat snobs (and to be honest I have not met many, maybe one per trip) talks down to me because I am in a hire boat. I love the look on their face when I tell them my family owns that hire boat and a few more as well.

Ok so its not a classy thing to do but sometimes you just have to make these people realise that no one is better than the other because they own a boat.

The Wyrley and Essington and BCN were exciting (relatively speaking!) and interesting, but the prettiest bit of water I've been on so far must be the lower Avon. Came up to Pershore from Tewkesbury yesterday; absolutely gorgeous. Saw herons, buzzards, and roe deer on the way too.

I'm with Phillip, when I say that my favourite part of the system is the Weaver valley, around Dutton, Acton Bridge and Saltesford... not only for the beautiful scenery though, but when I pass this point it means I'm on some form of holiday, as my home mooring is on the Bridgewater Canal and rarely venture off this during a normal weekend.

I'm with Phillip, when I say that my favourite part of the system is the Weaver valley, around Dutton, Acton Bridge and Saltesford... not only for the beautiful scenery though, but when I pass this point it means I'm on some form of holiday, as my home mooring is on the Bridgewater Canal and rarely venture off this during a normal weekend.

Indeed and it's only about a 30 minute drive away from the house, so we often visit that area.

Planning to visit by canal soon though, just on a summer weekend break, we're planning to start from Claymoore and head down through the tunnels and the valley on Friday night and up the Middlewich branch and back in the next two days.

In the previous 3 years when we've done this, we've headed down the Weaver valley in some delightful evening sun - very pleasant, with 3 tunnels and then the lift later on to bring a bit of excitement to the journey.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year in August we completed our first canal boating holiday and totally loved it. We did the Four Counties Ring and our favourite stretch of canal was where we moored up for the night at Bridge 14 of the Middlewich brance near Church Minshull. would've sent a picture but can't work out how to do it. Anyhow there is a picture of it in the old Pearsons guide issue 7 page 66.

We are doing the Cheshire Ring this August.