Unidentified Boat

Featured Posts

There is a NB moored near Braunston at the moment that I am struggling to identify. It is a timber hull, the cabin is steel but looks to be thin plate possibly over timber original, what to me is an unusual counter and I estimate is probably 60 ft long, certainy not full length. The ID number doesnt show up in Boat Finder

IDPlate.jpg

SternView.jpg

Fulllength.jpg

Anybody any clues???

I think so.

I'm lead to believe it's a pretty sound boat, and it's good to see it getting a make-over.

The cabin is a bit of a let down although I understand the rear doors which could be original are nicely painted. The hull looks very good, I think the owner not only cares but has his priorities right. Lovely to see

Conway.jpg

I think the owner not only cares but has his priorities right. Lovely to see.

This is not a trick question, and just comes from someone eager to learn more about the "old" boats.

What are the right priorities?

Jo.

Edited by Daftmare

What are the right priorities?

Strictly in this order

Functioning kettle

Watertight roof over the bed.

Watertight hull

Watertight cabin

Correct running gear

Pleasant living space

Shiny paint

OOOOOOO cant even see the smiley :lol::rolleyes::lol::rolleyes: , My point was that the hull looks well looked after, the cabin might not be pretty but it is functional, that can be sorted later. The basics need to be right before you concern yourself with the cosmetic bits IMHO

I could be wrong but I do believe Carl might agree on a good day when the sun is out. :unsure: :unsure:

OOOOOOO cant even see the smiley :lol::rolleyes::lol::rolleyes: , My point was that the hull looks well looked after, the cabin might not be pretty but it is functional, that can be sorted later. The basics need to be right before you concern yourself with the cosmetic bits IMHO

I could be wrong but I do believe Carl might agree on a good day when the sun is out. :unsure: :unsure:

I thought my list agreed entirely with your point.

The first priority is always something to heat water (or charlie) and the quickest way to abandon a project is to sleep under a drip, night after night.

After that the hull is everything.

Edited to add: I hate it when the system merges two unrelated posts.

As it's another unidentified wooden boat I thought I'd hijack this thread and see if anyone recognises this one:

Ebay clicky

I really should know the boat but all I know is that it's Charity Dock and the back end has a whiff of Ricky about it (though the photo angles are rubbish).

Anybody?

Oh and yes, I am very tempted.

Edited by carlt

We have been moored in front of Conway for a while whilst Pete Boyce (and I) works his magic on our gunnels and cants. The owner said it was a former Chance and Hunt gas boat butty built in 1924. Neither of us heard a peep out of his pumps so obviously the hull is a bit more than 'sound'.

We have been moored in front of Conway for a while whilst Pete Boyce (and I) works his magic on our gunnels and cants. The owner said it was a former Chance and Hunt gas boat butty built in 1924. Neither of us heard a peep out of his pumps so obviously the hull is a bit more than 'sound'.

Alan Faulkner's & Roger Fuller's lists show it as being ex "Imperial Chemical Industries (General Chemicals) Ltd.",

registered & gauged late 1924, purchased by Tho's Claytons in 1949.

springy

Alan Faulkner's & Roger Fuller's lists show it as being ex "Imperial Chemical Industries (General Chemicals) Ltd.",

registered & gauged late 1924, purchased by Tho's Claytons in 1949.

springy

Both are correct then. Chance and Hunt going into ICI, Thomas Clayton buying the boat from them?

Richard